Starcraft Marine Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title got your eye, didn't it?. Well, you got suckered. Almost. I was playing the SC2 beta four hours ago, and it left me with a strong desire to dress as my favorite unit. The siege tank:p! No, kidding. The terran marine. I searched the net for peps but alas, I found almost nothing. Ex-member Vroggy had an armor in the works but from what I've heard, I'm not sure if he would want to publish it (I think he would share it with hardcore armor makers though). I also found an obj floating somewhere around here (we all float down here^^). Since I can't remember who's it is, I've temporarily uploaded it until we learn who made it. Let me make it clear that I'm not the file's author.

http://www.4shared.com/file/259338764/779396aa/marine.html

It lacks arms and most of the underarmor. I could try to unfold it (my unfold skills are not as strong as my kung-fu, and my time is limited), but first I'll need someone to break it into body parts. Another option is fallout 3. A great guy over at fallout nexus named JaySuS made a fallout 3 mod that includes a terran marine power armor. It's not an exact armor, but it's close.

JaySuS Marine Battle Armor - Starcraft 2 Style

Jaysusterranarmor1.jpg

Jaysusterranarmor2.jpg

Yes, that's me. The face is close enough I think. Am I sexy or what.

My nexus account is dead for some reason, and it's a bit of a fuss to make a new one. If you can rip the armor files and have a nexus account, then you can help by asking JaySuS's permision, and rip the files. The body parts will have to be separated in different files before the unfold starts though.

EDIT: I know this topic should be in the pepakura and cardboard armor section, but I can't start a topic there.

Shackz said:
yo man, the idea of making a marine costume from SC2 is a fkn awesome one and im very interested in seeing someone acctually come up with something awesome =D

BTW awhile ago i created a thread with the terran weapon here http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19944&st=0&p=316852&#entry316852 i hope this helps ya

ps its made by http://aliens.humlak...e_modely_gb.htm

[media][media]

^ not my video =D

enjoy

I was toying with the idea of making this gauss rifle a while ago but I was discouraged by the fact that it's a pdf. Anyway, it's a little pointless having a suit without the gun, so this will really come in handy if the suit thing ends in success.

EDIT: I found a terran marine model for Unreal Tournament 3.

starcraft.jpg

Files | Mods | Demos | Patches | Addons | Maps

[

Also, some may find this intresting

terran marine

finished terran marine

protoss zealot

EDIT 2: Well, I was expecting more reaction. Perhaps most haven't even seen anything, due to the timezone thing or something. Anyway, I could hold myself and I started unfolding the obj.

progresspic1.jpg

Note to people: This marine armor thing was supposed to be a community project with credit going to everyone. But since I am a spiteful gremlin, and most people just seem content to wait for the work to be somehow done, I've decided that I probably won't share the unfolded file when I'm done with the obj. After all, it's really hard to unfold it with all those hidden pieces and surfaces, so I could live without the presure to be precise. The same goes if I end up doing this whole project alone. Btw, my nexus account is back online so no help needed there. I'll probably contact JaySuS within the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is awesome. I really need to learn how to unfold pep, so I can help with this. Maybe with this post it'll call attention to this great topic. Meanwhile, ill go and try to figure out how the heck you work pepakura.

I just sent JaySuS a pm. Cross your fingers people. I think the 4shared file on the first post is his mesh, but it seems someone has tinkered a bit. In other words, someone half stole anothe person's work. It has happened to me in the past, and it sucks. Anyway, if that is indeed JaySuS', and if he gives no permission, then our only coice will be the UT3 model. I sighned up in the epic forums, and I'm waiting for a mod to validate my account (never seen this in another forum). In any case, I'm getting better with unfolding, but what we really need is a 3d modeler to separate the parts (provided there are conflicts, though fallout models are plagued with surface conflicts). I left HalloGoddess a comment.

I have bad, good and bad news#2. In that order: JaySuS said sorry sir but no sharing stuff.

and sorry but i cant give out rights to reuse this armor as its the material property of someone else, only the intellectual prop is mine and in parts that of blizzard ent.

Now the good news. Discmage, the author of the UT3 terran marine model, said ok.

Its PAPERCRAFT??! You should have said that in the first place :)

You've got me :) I'm in, what I can do is probably get you the complete .obj file exported directly from Max. You can do the rest as I don't have much time. My worry is that the poly count is ridiculously high, but maybe the program does that stuff automatically or something...but I give you free reign to do what you can with it if it makes it easier. But yeah, just mention me in the credits as:

UT3 3D modeller and Texture Artist - Discmage

Original Character Design - Blizzard

I'll do that as soon as I get some spare time. Hopefully within the week maybe.

Discmage

And now the bad news#2. I'm totaly clueless about 3d modeling. Either someone else will have to do it (but I can still unfold), or you're in for an eternity of waiting, or at least untill I find a good free 3d program and master it.

now how in the world did i miss all this Ive been working on my on never new there was a 3d model out

but thanks for posting more then likely wont use it very inaccurate but a hell of a nice start

Spartan 051 said:
now how in the world did i miss all this Ive been working on my on never new there was a 3d model out

but thanks for posting more then likely wont use it very inaccurate but a hell of a nice start

Well, you won't go anywhere if you don't take the firsr step. The beta is out, cracked and free. Ripe for the ripping^^, but the model would be too low poly. And about the model, I removed it from my 4shared. Thought it was the right thing since the author had no idea someone had messed with his work, and gave no permission. But if you want it, e-mail me. There's nothing wrong with sharing between friends;). Btw, why don't you post a pic of your wip armor?

Man...Still stuck in this chicken $h!ted outfit...

Michalanthropos said:
Well, you won't go anywhere if you don't take the firsr step. The beta is out, cracked and free. Ripe for the ripping^^, but the model would be too low poly. And about the model, I removed it from my 4shared. Thought it was the right thing since the author had no idea someone had messed with his work, and gave no permission. But if you want it, e-mail me. There's nothing wrong with sharing between friends;). Btw, why don't you post a pic of your wip armor?

How low poly would it be? could it be a (very?) low def model or would it be unrecognizable/impossible to do?

sorry double post, but were any files from starcraft ghost ever released? Edit: pic didn't work because I'm trying to type this on my phone, but its slightly different from the sc2 armor. Personnally, I'd be happy with a low def model using the SC2 game file (see my avatar). It wouldn't be too difficult to pep and it would be a good base for higher definition files.

unsc_marine said:
sorry double post, but were any files from starcraft ghost ever released? Edit: pic didn't work because I'm trying to type this on my phone, but its slightly different from the sc2 armor. Personnally, I'd be happy with a low def model using the SC2 game file (see my avatar). It wouldn't be too difficult to pep and it would be a good base for higher definition files.

Nope, no starcraft ghost material was even released. As for the SC2 armor, I can't rip it.

Unrippable for legal reasons, or just wouldnt work? Also, heres the SC: Ghost pic anyway:

Marine_SC-G_Game1.jpg

Let me know if theres anything that needs finding or doing; Id like to see this project work.

unsc_marine said:
Unrippable for legal reasons, or just wouldnt work? Also, heres the SC: Ghost pic anyway:

Marine_SC-G_Game1.jpg

Let me know if theres anything that needs finding or doing; Id like to see this project work.

I can't rip from SC2 because I don't know how to do it. It's not like I'm an expert or something, but in time someone will do it.

In other news, I'm trying to learn 3ds studio max. I fooled around with JaySuS's armour, and it's ready to be unfolded. I looked at his reply again and it seems like I should ask blizzard. If blizzard agrees, then it's party time.

Ok. I'm surprised this hasnt generated more attention. Hopefully someone can also use the game model to make a low def one and your current project=high def and detailed.

I was fooling with a trial 3ds max, and I managed to separate JaySuS's armor into Right leg, left leg, crotch plate, butt plate, 2 lower armor pieces, torso, shoulders, upper arms, lower arms, pipes and hydraulics. I want to send blizzard an e-mail, but when I browsed their "contact us" I didn't where to send the mail. Suggestions?

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html

EDIT: Could a mod change the topic's title to "Project Terran Marine"?

err thats fantastic you are picking up Max but as for the contacting blizzard im pretty much against it, mainly because in the past with game mods a group was making a mod very similar to starcraft 2 using the Warcraft 3 game and making a SC mod but as it was in dev blizz shut it down due to the copyright act etcetc even though this mod was NP (Not for Profit). i've seen a person who has cosplayed as a marine but it was scratch built by himself. I realy dont think that by contacting blizzard will grant you a rip from thier up coming 'cash cow' (Star Craft 2}.

Just build it and see what happens, in my case building cog armor and in other cases with halo armor its all for fun thats all there was a letter from epic games floating around these forums around a few years ago stating that we are to cease and desite on making the gears armor the holds the "blood omen' logo so with out that logo its all sweet according to the letter from epic.

So yea just build it and have fun, i hope this helps ya mate.

Shackz_

Michalanthropos said:

Just check my whip thread in the creation section but post the lastest pic

EDIT: Currently i have plans on releasing it because the demand on my thread been very little

1.png

Shackz said:
err thats fantastic you are picking up Max but as for the contacting blizzard im pretty much against it, mainly because in the past with game mods a group was making a mod very similar to starcraft 2 using the Warcraft 3 game and making a SC mod but as it was in dev blizz shut it down due to the copyright act etcetc even though this mod was NP (Not for Profit). i've seen a person who has cosplayed as a marine but it was scratch built by himself. I realy dont think that by contacting blizzard will grant you a rip from thier up coming 'cash cow' (Star Craft 2}.

Just build it and see what happens, in my case building cog armor and in other cases with halo armor its all for fun thats all there was a letter from epic games floating around these forums around a few years ago stating that we are to cease and desite on making the gears armor the holds the "blood omen' logo so with out that logo its all sweet according to the letter from epic.

So yea just build it and have fun, i hope this helps ya mate.

Shackz_

No, no. Didn't mean to ask blizzard to send me a file. You see, once upon a time, a brat used my work without giving me any credit. From that day on, I "swore" never to use another person's work without mentioning them and getting their permission. The FO3 mod terran marine armor is the easiest to make (and though less accurate, it fits the normal human body). Sure, I could just make the files and take all the credit, but that would make the mod's author sad & mad. So, I need his permission. He refused to give permission because terran marines are copyrighted by blizzard. So, in order to get his permission, I'll need to get the OK from blizzard first. Course, I'm not going to give blizzard any clue where I found the file, or who made it. Just to keep it safe from any legal action bigotry from blizzard's part.

Just check my whip thread in the creation section but post the lastest pic

EDIT: Currently i have plans on releasing it because the demand on my thread been very little

(was 1024 x 576) - Click image to enlarge

I guess the armor is too big for most people. Most people have too little time, or not enough space. But if you post it on 4chan.org/po/, you'll get tons of responses. Or, you could wait for the game's release date. That's when most people will want to have one.

Out of topic, I can't wait for blizzard to release SC2 terran marine action figures!

yerp i understand that u want permission to use the marine cos its a blizz' IP (interlecutral property) although scratch building, modeling etcetc is your own work, i dont ask for permission for modeling the longshot or anyother fan based projects because i create the model texture etc etc all it is that i dont take credit for is the "idea" which would be related to the concept art and the artist/business that created the peice of art. I really dont think that it would be to much of a issue you you modeled your own ya know.

but i understand what ya saying and how you need permission to use other peoples model.

i wish ya all the luck with finding a solution to this =D

Shackz_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back