Start of my AR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

This is an ar i started that's made out of some mat backer board I and some hot glue basically. I started this a while ago, but now that I've seen some of the other awesome rifles around, I'm thinking I'm going to scrap this and start on a more accurate and more sturdy version. But until then, here's this. I know it's not that good, but tell me what you think.

gun.jpg

gun2.jpg

gun3.jpg

gun4.jpg

What I have now is just a little bit under a foot. And I forgot to mention before that by adding in a spring and some tracks, I was able to make the trigger move back and forth. I'm going to make the bolt on the upper porting of the gun move back and forth at the pull of the trigger. It won't be that strong though as it will be made out of mat board and metal springs, but I've figured out how to make it work.

Sort of. It's about as sturdy, maybe a little less, but alot thinner, about 1/16 of an inch. It's the stuff you in picture frames that backs the picture. It's a good material for drafting things out before you make the final product out of whatever else.

That...is full of WIN.

Continue NOW.

;)

But really, it's a good start. If you complete it, let us know.

-Blue

Tom said:
Sort of. It's about as sturdy, maybe a little less, but alot thinner, about 1/16 of an inch. It's the stuff you in picture frames that backs the picture. It's a good material for drafting things out before you make the final product out of whatever else.

Is mat board bendable? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliments.

So far I haven't got much work done on it since the last pictures, what with school and all. But I'm planning on definately having something worth showing by the end of the weekend. I might have even started another project by then as well.

Mat board is hardly bendable. I've read somewhere that if you wet it a bit it will give way a little bit more than usual. Actually, if you try to bend it, you get a crease and it only bends on that point. But generally speaking, no, mat board does not bend.

Mat board is thick board made from wood or cotton fiber pulp and is most often covered with a colored or decorative facing.
Most board is 1/16, but you can get white cotton in a double thick form making it 1/8.
You should be able to get the thin board from most locations, for the double thick you will have to go to a frame shop (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and other hobby chains have frame shops in the store)

Both tend to crease if you bend them dry, but if you steam them they should bend reasonably, I'd be very careful about actually wetting the boards.

Mat board is easier to glue together then foamcore and is denser, therby more resistant to pressure. Most framers use an ATG (Adhesive Transfer Gun) to bind mat board layers together.

It would make a good core for fiberglassing or as a mold for making multiple copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back