Starting ODST - SPARTAN cosplay any advice

Robot1337

I'm going to be making my own ODST and SPARTAN cosplay so I was wondering if anyone has any advice to give.
Looking for advice or tips not what to do when making a cosplay from foam, lessons other people have learned I can use to improve my own cosplay. It's my first cosplay and any advice will be a huge help.
I have been researching but getting advice from fellow halo lovers on what I want to recreate would be closer to what I need for my cosplay.

Thanks for reading fellow halo lovers.

Hey There!

First off. Welcome to the Forums!

There are a lot of different methods of using foam and (various types of foam) to craft your own armor.

I would recommend taking a look at the tutorial areas of the forums and see if there is something specific for your needs but I think that this would be a good place to start:

I would suggest starting with something easy to begin the process. as it is very easy to be overwhelmed by the task of a full armor build (much less two)

Hand plates are small and often don't require large amounts of material and for the most part, do not require any of the more complicated craft techniques.

From there you may want to try your hand at a helmet, as that often will give you a place of motivation to finish the project once you get it done. I have seen some really marvelous builds with foam, but don't feel boxed in by a material. what you build with is just as much a tool as what you use to shape it. I am one of the old hands (though not the oldest by any means) and I haven't adopted the methods of 3d printing but that does allow for near-perfect details if you have the right files. and if you have the patience for it and a properly ventilated space then Papakura (paper craft) can lead to a nice and solid construction as well.

I look forward to your build! Good luck to you!

Hey There!

First off. Welcome to the Forums!

There are a lot of different methods of using foam and (various types of foam) to craft your own armor.

I would recommend taking a look at the tutorial areas of the forums and see if there is something specific for your needs but I think that this would be a good place to start:

I would suggest starting with something easy to begin the process. as it is very easy to be overwhelmed by the task of a full armor build (much less two)

Hand plates are small and often don't require large amounts of material and for the most part, do not require any of the more complicated craft techniques.

From there you may want to try your hand at a helmet, as that often will give you a place of motivation to finish the project once you get it done. I have seen some really marvelous builds with foam, but don't feel boxed in by a material. what you build with is just as much a tool as what you use to shape it. I am one of the old hands (though not the oldest by any means) and I haven't adopted the methods of 3d printing but that does allow for near-perfect details if you have the right files. and if you have the patience for it and a properly ventilated space then Papakura (paper craft) can lead to a nice and solid construction as well.

I look forward to your build! Good luck to you!
Hi thanks so much, I have just been to MCM London and saw multiple ODST cosplays, and have even more motivation to now make my own. I going to look at the foam guide and have been watching YouTubers and going to learn how to use Papakura it's downloaded but no idea how it works yet.
I am so excited to start and can't wait to give it a go. Thanks for all those notes hope to have something to show in time. Thanks so much again.

Hi thanks so much, I have just been to MCM London and saw multiple ODST cosplays, and have even more motivation to now make my own. I going to look at the foam guide and have been watching YouTubers and going to learn how to use Papakura it's downloaded but no idea how it works yet.
I am so excited to start and can't wait to give it a go. Thanks for all those notes hope to have something to show in time. Thanks so much again.
There is a step by step tutorial for a foam ODST that AndrewDFT made foever ago on YouTube. That's a huge portion of ODST's starting points, including my own, to learn with and the pdfs are all ready print and follow along with the step by step tutorial videos.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you fun in making your armor and I can't wait to see what you make!

Hello and welcome to the 405th! I see your doing you first build here! Some advice on starting out:
Scale your armor parts in pepakura designer or armorsmith program correctly so you don't have to go through the trouble of re scaling parts again.

Be wary of pieces with beveled angles and cuts

Pick your color scheme wisely if you want specific colors

Plastic folders or any very thin piece of plastic can be used as a cheap diy visor.

Good luck with your build! Best of luck to you!

Hey there, I've nearly finished my own odst suit and I would recommend watching Heroesworkshop videos even if u don't plan on using his plans. They explain how to use pepakura and beginner foam techniques, really helped with my build. I bought his files and used most of them, but after failing a gaunltet I used Andrew DFT'S odst files for legs and gauntlets. They were easy and awesome. If u don't have a dremel too, u should probably look at getting one, that's just my opinion though because they're awesome for doing angles. Good luck with your build and feel free to ask general or specific armor questions as u go, because that's what the 405th is here for.

This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back