Starting Spartan Mk. V project

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys need a little help again. Every time i bondo and sand I end up with these pits no matter how high of grit sand paper i use.
2010-07-15150508.jpg

They're all over my pieces and in big blotches like this. Do i just have to keep bondoing and sanding or what? Or should I just use a crap ton of spot putty? I have resin jelly, would that work?? Today I've just been adding fiberglass to my pieces and they are solid as a rock with a layer of rondo and a layer of fiberglass!! Thanks for the help!!

i would say just spot puddy the crap out of it xD

and what do you do to harden it? fiber glass (jsut resin or mat?) the outside then rondo the inside?

yeah i put a layer of resin on the outside then i rondo'ed the inside and now im putting a layer of fiberglass mat on the inside along with the rondo and the pieces are solid!! On the chest i did the method where you use rondo and fiberglass at the same time. MAKE SURE TO PUT A BUNCH OF SUPPORTS ON THE INSIDE OF THE PIECES!!! The chest was really floppy without it. i put a bunch of cardboard struts on the inside cause i made it one piece. one support strut accross the openings of the arm and leg pieces should be enough but re-enforce the crap out of the torso!! XD I just put a layer of fiberglass on the inside of the Mk VI belt im using and its stuuurrdddyyyy XD too bad i have to go back to work tomorrow. Only 2 days off next week so only a few hours of actual build time next week :(

hey guys need a little help again. Every time i bondo and sand I end up with these pits no matter how high of grit sand paper i use.
2010-07-15150508.jpg

They're all over my pieces and in big blotches like this. Do i just have to keep bondoing and sanding or what? Or should I just use a crap ton of spot putty? I have resin jelly, would that work?? Today I've just been adding fiberglass to my pieces and they are solid as a rock with a layer of rondo and a layer of fiberglass!! Thanks for the help!!

i had the same problem so i feel your pain. i fixed that whole problem by switching to rondo. the more resin you put in the less of those you get and it spreads it-self. im sorry if you already use rondo and im just preaching to the choir XD but it should fix your problem (rondo also, in my opinion, sands easier than straight bondo hint hint wink wink)

yeah i used rondo on the inside. tried it on the outside at first but i think i just had too much resin in it and it ran and spilled all over LOL. What mixture ratio do you use for detailing the outside? I did it on the shoulders and you're right, it seems to have less pits, just small pin-hole ones. Thanks for the compliments guys!! Back to work for 5 days, then home for 2 to go to town on this thing!!

Bondoing is not a one step process. You need to add more layers of Bondo after you have sanded the first layer. Those pits are just areas where you have not layered your bondo thick enough.

Thanks v1p3r. Should I just put another layer on and sand with high grit paper? I have 220grit for my mouse sander. Should I go higheer??

ok im on my way home and i have 1 day to fiddle with my armor. Tomorrows agenda: 1. re-pep, resin, and glass thighs. 2. Sand biceps, cut holes for lights, and possibly get a layer of primer on. 3. re-rondo my chest and back panels to fix the bondo pits. 4. Debating resining my MOZ helmet or starting another rundown helmet. 5. Haircut... LONG DAY AHEAD!!! KEEP Y'ALL UPDATED :-D Plan on starting bright and ugly...

don't do another helmet xD i hated cutting out rundowns! it was so freakin annoying! sorry Run, but it is.... i spent 5 hours cutting it out, than 3 bending xD

Can we have a pic with your MOZ, than your Rundown helmet on please?

its not that high poly :p you should try the odst then haha
I didn't edited the vents for pep back then. Was one of my first models converted for pep :)
Just thought more like a modeler then a pepper back then >.<

I actually liked building your model!! it was fun! :D taking a lunch break. got the thighs and the moz helmet curing right now, sanded my biceps and gona go cut the holes for the lights in a few minutes. i'll probably throw a layer of primer on it after that to find the spots that need to be touched up. pictures to come later!!

k heres whats goign on today. First I pepped and resined my thighs, then sanded my biceps and cut light holes, then i put some fiberglass on the inside of the thighs. i had some resin leftover from that so said screw it and resined my Moz helmet. here's today :

My work space outside
2010-07-22154733.jpg

My primed biceps. Not too many rough spots. A little sanding and they will be good to go
2010-07-22154754.jpg

My Moz helmet. Made of fruit loop cardstock :p
2010-07-22154820.jpg

Hoping to get some more done today but i dont have a lot of time. Updates to come!

A little update. I got my entire suit hardened except the helmet cause I'm redoing the rundow. Model. I also got some thick mat board and started cutting out detail parts. Way nicer than cardboard!!! Anyways I only have 1 photo update. I snagged some metallic green paint from the store and.... well the color sucks. The turd that sold it t me said it would be darker....
2010-07-29160919.jpg

Way too bright. Anybody have suggestions on the color?? I want the metallic sage green like ol MC has... or I guess I could do a different color :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back