Stilts: Worth the height?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mfinda

Greetings from Florida!

I've made an introductory post on the new-recruits thread detailing my experience at 405th's Pensacon Panel. With that said, I've gained a great interest in creating my own suit of MJOLNIR to wear at conventions, and potentially alongside those in the local Fireteam Poseidon.

I've begun looking into 3D printers, the Tevo Tornado 2018 specifically, as 3D printing has been an interest of mine for a long time, and Game accuracy is of great importance to me. I'd my abilities modeling in programs over modeling by hand.

In regards to Game Accuracy, a question has came up in my mind. In the lore, SPARTANs are upwards of 7'0 tall. Granted there are cases of SPARTANs such as the third generation Lucy-B091, who stood at a mere 5'3 out of MJOLNIR. Then there are cases like Kurt-051, who were he to have equipped MJOLNIR, would have stood at a colossal 8'6.

spartan_ii_being_outfitted_with_mjolnir_armor_by_mclatchyt-d5uq4x7.png

In short, obviously I am not a SPARTAN. I do not have the grandeur height of a super-soldier in powered assault armor. But as someone who is already above average in height, I can achieve 7'1 or so with stilts, which leads me to my question:

Is it worth it? I will obviously have to scale the armor accordingly, reshape it to accommodate for the stilts, and worst of all, I will have to actually wear the stilts for prolonged periods. Those who wear their own MJOLNIR for cosplay already attest how sensory deprived it makes you, and that handlers are necessary for even basic functionality, and I imagine stilts will only make this experience worse.

I am not new to sensory depriving cosplay, most all of my previous cosplays involve wearing a sensory depriving latex mask that inhibits vision, hearing, and most importantly ventilation. What's always been most important to me is that when people see my costume, I don't want them to see a costume, I want them to see that character. In order to achieve the most of game accuracy, I feel as if stilts will only add to this effect.

The-Best-Drywall-Stilts-in-2017-for-Average-Joes-%E2%80%93-DIY-Home-Renovation.jpg

My apologies for the lengthy post, but tell me your thoughts below on the idea! Thanks for reading!

I
Greetings from Florida!

I've made an introductory post on the new-recruits thread detailing my experience at 405th's Pensacon Panel. With that said, I've gained a great interest in creating my own suit of MJOLNIR to wear at conventions, and potentially alongside those in the local Fireteam Poseidon.

I've begun looking into 3D printers, the Tevo Tornado 2018 specifically, as 3D printing has been an interest of mine for a long time, and Game accuracy is of great importance to me. I'd my abilities modeling in programs over modeling by hand.

In regards to Game Accuracy, a question has came up in my mind. In the lore, SPARTANs are upwards of 7'0 tall. Granted there are cases of SPARTANs such as the third generation Lucy-B091, who stood at a mere 5'3 out of MJOLNIR. Then there are cases like Kurt-051, who were he to have equipped MJOLNIR, would have stood at a colossal 8'6.

View attachment 266694

In short, obviously I am not a SPARTAN. I do not have the grandeur height of a super-soldier in powered assault armor. But as someone who is already above average in height, I can achieve 7'1 or so with stilts, which leads me to my question:

Is it worth it? I will obviously have to scale the armor accordingly, reshape it to accommodate for the stilts, and worst of all, I will have to actually wear the stilts for prolonged periods. Those who wear their own MJOLNIR for cosplay already attest how sensory deprived it makes you, and that handlers are necessary for even basic functionality, and I imagine stilts will only make this experience worse.

I am not new to sensory depriving cosplay, most all of my previous cosplays involve wearing a sensory depriving latex mask that inhibits vision, hearing, and most importantly ventilation. What's always been most important to me is that when people see my costume, I don't want them to see a costume, I want them to see that character. In order to achieve the most of game accuracy, I feel as if stilts will only add to this effect.

View attachment 266695

My apologies for the lengthy post, but tell me your thoughts below on the idea! Thanks for reading!
I love where your going with this. Personally, I see no need to do so as most of the members are shorter, (not looking at Canadian regiment specifically but some of you are.... ) and the things we make are technically scaled down to us and make it look just fine. There have been instances of stilts that make the whole project look that much better and immersive, so I'll hand it off to one person I know did a great job. I'm talking bout you Gixk2 !

I don’t think you’ll get the game accuracy you mentioned with stilts. Your scaling will be all out of wack. And to fit stilts and feet in shin area would be tough. I’d stick with adding a bit of height boosters on the bottom of the foot or in shoes. Might not reach 7’ but still adds to the immersion especially if your already above average in height!

I don’t think you’ll get the game accuracy you mentioned with stilts. Your scaling will be all out of wack. And to fit stilts and feet in shin area would be tough. I’d stick with adding a bit of height boosters on the bottom of the foot or in shoes. Might not reach 7’ but still adds to the immersion especially if your already above average in height!
I appreciate the feedback! Scaling will definitely be an issue, and you're right that it could shift the entire suit to be out of wack. With that said, I think theres a few things that could be worth mentioning. One being due to my height, I wouldn't have to have the stilts at a very high setting. I would only wish to stand around 8 inches higher, and this can be achieved with a mixture of stilts or risers as you mentioned in tandem with a helmet.

Perhaps I wouldn't have to scale the armor much at all, and instead create a shroud over my foot to conceal heels. Heres an illustration I threw together to visualize the concept.
2OEWQxQ.png

Perhaps this would be more feasible than stilts? I just wonder if having a prosthetic toe box would make it difficult to walk.

Actually, I think a lot of people miss the fact that SPARTAN boot armor is pretty big so I really appreciate how you showed that picture of the foot inside the armor. A lot of people treat is as a flat shoe instead of a really thick and tall shoe. Cause no one in the world has feet that tall hahaha and the extra armor really helps in making you taller. Although It would really be nice to see someone wear stilts for a cosplay, you just need to get the proportions right. After all, spartans are long legged haha.

I appreciate the feedback! Scaling will definitely be an issue, and you're right that it could shift the entire suit to be out of wack. With that said, I think theres a few things that could be worth mentioning. One being due to my height, I wouldn't have to have the stilts at a very high setting. I would only wish to stand around 8 inches higher, and this can be achieved with a mixture of stilts or risers as you mentioned in tandem with a helmet.

Perhaps I wouldn't have to scale the armor much at all, and instead create a shroud over my foot to conceal heels. Heres an illustration I threw together to visualize the concept.
View attachment 266726

Perhaps this would be more feasible than stilts? I just wonder if having a prosthetic toe box would make it difficult to walk.
Yep I think that’s the ticket! I’m planning on doing something similar with my MC rebuild (someday). I think you can even sneak an 1 1/2” or more in the sole of the boots as well!

Going in a heeled boot is a good idea but, don't wear a heel that you wouldnt be comfortable walking in. You could easily hurt yourself especially your ankles if you step wrong. Plus walking on the balls of your feel all day would become painful.

I achieved about 1- 1/2" of height just out of my boot design alone. Factor in a helmet height also, maybe another inch or so to the top of your head, you potentially just gained 3 inches inq hieght. I'm about 5'11" normal and when I'm in my full suit I'm definitely taller, I'd guestimate around 6'2" or so. So really, like others have said, scaling is way more important. If you nail the scale, people won't be able to tell if you're a 6 foot spartan or 7 foot spartan cause youll already just be bigger than normal plus look like youre right out of the game if scale is spot on. Now if you're "world's tallest spartan" that dude is actually 7'9" tall, naturally!! He is absolutely towering in his chief armor! Haha

Thanks xXDashIVXx yes I used plasterers stilts for my warden build as a 5ft6 Warden Eternal just wasnt gonna cut it lol
The stilts are hard work walking in, and Wardens calves had to be much wider than in the game, but the overall picture looks ok. The ones I used are lightweight but still damn heavy with the armour on and I'm not the fittest of women but even I managed an hour walking around in them.
46687650_1570770589735873_5591947711726223360_n.jpg DSC_0071.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back