Subject Delta Visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeddychan

Hello fellow 405th members,

I was wondering how I could go about making a sheet of plexiglass glow yellow like subject delta's helmet with LED's, while making it so I can still see through it. Sanding the plexiglass is out of the question, since it makes it so I cant see through it. I already thought of painting it with transparent paint or using some yellow film to get the yellow color, but with both of those methods it still wont glow without some sort of light.

I need it to look diffused, like in this picture:

514px-Subject-delta-bioshock-2-artwork.jpg

Thanks to anyone who can come up with an affordable and good looking solution...

Well Im new and this is a random thought, what if you made a string of yellow LED's and placed them in the space around the actual visor, with the visor tinted yellow so that the lights form a ring around it, yet are set back in the helmet. Would they sort of reflect up onto the visor making the ambient afffect?

Just my random thought.

What if you were to take plexiglass and put the LEDs around the outside edge pointing inward (Toward the center of the visor not your face). If you get the position of the lights just right you may be able to make it so that you can see out and still have the lights.

Jakelton117 said:
Well Im new and this is a random thought, what if you made a string of yellow LED's and placed them in the space around the actual visor, with the visor tinted yellow so that the lights form a ring around it, yet are set back in the helmet. Would they sort of reflect up onto the visor making the ambient afffect?

Just my random thought.

Jtd18801 said:
What if you were to take plexiglass and put the LEDs around the outside edge pointing inward (Toward the center of the visor not your face). If you get the position of the lights just right you may be able to make it so that you can see out and still have the lights.

thanks for your suggestions. Earlier I tried putting a LED on the edge of a scrap piece of plexi, testing to see if putting it on a beveled edge or not would help... sadly it made no noticeable difference... hopefully I can get some transparent yellow film or plastic to put over my visor so I can get the yellow tint, then try and light that. I probably wont be able to try it out until next week though. I'm going to see if my animation teacher has something I can use to tint the visor...

any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I'm going to keep trying things I can find around my house until something works...

Last edited by a moderator:
can u get a thick enough piece of Plexiglas that u can carefully drill into the sides on it? if so drill some shallow holes around the outside edges then put the top of your LED's into the holes so rather than shining onto the edge it shines from inside the edge. this should give it much better diffusion, and noticeably less glare from inside.

the trick with this is to NOT be looking out the window. If you make it the correct size this helmet should be sitting fairly large and high. You can have discreet eye holes BELOW the window...then you can light the window and way you want.

I think I might try to tint the visor, then put LED's around it and hide some behind the two bars that go down the middle of the visor... that might work... but I might need to buy some more LED's and I still need to get some yellow transparent film or plastic...

Keep in mind, even with a large amount of very bright LED's, you still won't be able to see them very well in a well lit room.

EDIT: Also, try and scuff up the plexiglass with some fine steel wool. This should make the LED's glow better through the visor.

mustang2500 said:
Keep in mind, even with a large amount of very bright LED's, you still won't be able to see them very well in a well lit room.

EDIT: Also, try and scuff up the plexiglass with some fine steel wool. This should make the LED's glow better through the visor.

yeah thats why I thought I should tint it, and use LED's, that way it still glows, but I'm not relying solely on the LED's for the color.

and scuffing the plexiglass makes it impossible to see out of... it does make the LED's glow better, but it makes it really hard to see...

EDIT: do you guys know anywhere to get LED's at good prices? radioshack is always a ripoff for LED's and the only website I know off the top of my head for stuff like that at reasonable prices is Hack'N'Mod (which is down at the moment, I keep getting 503 errors)

I plan on using some LED's not only for the visor, but for the left hand for plasmids, and possibly the adam and eve tanks on the back of the helmet.

Jeddychan said:
yeah thats why I thought I should tint it, and use LED's, that way it still glows, but I'm not relying solely on the LED's for the color.

and scuffing the plexiglass makes it impossible to see out of... it does make the LED's glow better, but it makes it really hard to see...

Yeah, but I thought you were going to make separate eye holes as Drgnfyre4 said.

mustang2500 said:
Yeah, but I thought you were going to make separate eye holes as Drgnfyre4 said.

the only problem is that I scaled it to fit me so when I'm wearing it, my eyes are in the middle of the visor. So while thats a better solution, because its easier, I cant use it without a lot of work to my helmet.

If I was going to make separate eye holes, sanding the plexiglass wouldn't be a problem.

On a separate note, I can get to Hack'N'Mod now, but I'm still wondering if you guys know of any other places I can get LED's without them taking an arm and a leg...

mustang2500 said:

yeah thatdecade doesnt have yellow, but Im still gunna bookmark it since I need some blue LED's...

and Im surprised on ebay they actually have some deals... I thought some people would try to screw you over with that...

Thanks for looking, and any further suggestions or information is welcomed and appreciated!

EDIT: my teacher has some yellow gel for stage lights, but sadly i gotta wait till Monday or Tuesday to get it...

EDIT: I got the yellow gel filter! The only thing is that the yellow is a little too transparent, so I plan on quadrupling it up and sandwiching it between two pieces of lexan/plexiglass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back