Suggestions. (On getting started with Foam Pep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Solo

So, I am really new to cosplay, having next to no experience.
I was thinking of starting a project with foam, but when I opened up a file in pepakura I was pretty shocked at how complicated everything looked.
Therefore, I am looking for some suggestions of armor sets to craft, preferably not too complicated.

Thanks in advance!

Howdy Captain Solo! I'll just preface this answer by saying that the Questions and Support section is about the site, not for crafting advice - this question would be better suited for the New Recruits or Halo Costumes and Props sections. A Division member should be able to move this to the right place.

And with that out of the way - I can totally understand what you mean by the Pepakura templates being complex. To get an idea of what you see as complex for your current experience, which files/costume were you looking at? If it was a spartan, then some simpler ones to make and assemble would be an ODST, or a marine. Both have a good number of people who have made/are making them, and therefore you can get a lot of help specifically for those costumes.

This thread has been moved to the appropriate section. I have also modified your thread title to give a better idea of what kind of help you are looking for so that other members will be able to assist you.

Howdy Captain Solo! I'll just preface this answer by saying that the Questions and Support section is about the site, not for crafting advice - this question would be better suited for the New Recruits or Halo Costumes and Props sections. A Division member should be able to move this to the right place.

And with that out of the way - I can totally understand what you mean by the Pepakura templates being complex. To get an idea of what you see as complex for your current experience, which files/costume were you looking at? If it was a spartan, then some simpler ones to make and assemble would be an ODST, or a marine. Both have a good number of people who have made/are making them, and therefore you can get a lot of help specifically for those costumes.
Oh sorry, I probably should've realized before posting...
Er I think I was looking at the basic Reach spartan armor.

Oh sorry, I probably should've realized before posting...
Er I think I was looking at the basic Reach spartan armor.
Reach spartans have a lot of detail so they can be pretty overwhelming at first. Luckily we have RandomRanger here with his YouTube channel in which he has a number of tutorials on making Reach armour, with more to come.

Greetings and welcome to the 405th!
Since you are new to cosplay and foamsmithing I would strongly suggest doing some homework before tackling your first project. Get to know this medium, learn what tools and materials that are needed.
YouTube has a lot of different cosplayers and makers who have tutorials for beginners.
Some recommendations would be Punished Props, EvilTed, Odin Makes and Kamuicosplay.
When you do begin your first project start small and simple. It doesn't have to be a suit of armour. Start with a simple prop like a knife or a sword.

Greetings and welcome to the 405th!
Since you are new to cosplay and foamsmithing I would strongly suggest doing some homework before tackling your first project. Get to know this medium, learn what tools and materials that are needed.
YouTube has a lot of different cosplayers and makers who have tutorials for beginners.
Some recommendations would be Punished Props, EvilTed, Odin Makes and Kamuicosplay.
When you do begin your first project start small and simple. It doesn't have to be a suit of armour. Start with a simple prop like a knife or a sword.
Hello, and Thanks!
I've done a little bit of research, I do know the materials needed and I have checked out those youtubers!
Oh, and I hadn't even thought of doing a prop LOL that sounds much better, alright thanks!
Also, does anyone else find it tedious to cut out the templates from paper?
Edit, huh I used a lot of exclamation marks there.

Oh wow thanks, I'll definetly check him out!
And sub, of course.
Welcome to the 405th! Always exciting to see a new face around :). Feel free to join our discord if you get stuck on anything or if you're watching my tutorials and get stuck on something feel free to DM me. We're here to help!

Welcome to the 405th! Always exciting to see a new face around :). Feel free to join our discord if you get stuck on anything or if you're watching my tutorials and get stuck on something feel free to DM me. We're here to help!
Already joined, and if I get stuck, will do.
Thanks a ton!

hey im new to pep but i got a tip for you:
their is more than the 405th to help there is a whole community out there to help you so go exploring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back