Suit Electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With some of the mods I have seen on here most of this would be rather simplistic. The hardest part is battery storage. the rest is wiring under armor and hidden switches or a centralized control panel. HHHHMMMM ok now you have my mind wandering...for the diff color LEDs representing dif options you can use the LEDs that are designed to change color by a flick of a switch. They even have flashing...let me get back to you on this....

Ithica

UPDATE:

Go Here to see LEDs that flas Red/Green and when you change the negative/positive settings they remain one color so you need a switch that will just change the flow.

Go Here For your Infared LEDs.

I'm going to copy this thread and do some PS images with a few design ideas in the next few days.

As for a communication device, a head set and like someone said a walky talky device would work. Only you two would hear it. Go Here to see a toggle switch you can mount in the chin of the helmet, it would work for chin activation.

Go Here To see an Ipod mini LCD screen. If you know how they work you can install one of these on the forearm with this Camera mounted in the back of your suit so you can see what is behind you without turning around.

You can mount a Mini wirless camera to your helmet and someone elsewhere can see and record what you are seeing or use This to do your own recording and viewing.

Endless Possibilities

Ithica

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to jump in here as far as helmet electronics are concerned remember every ounce you put in that thing will feel like a pound by the end of a typical event so light wieght is key. Wearability is another issue as far as what you can stuff in it and leave room for your melon.
So far I managed to stuff a mic, external speakers with a amp, a MP3 player jack, a fan and 3 batteries to run it all and its pretty cramped.
The orange plastic golf ball holds the speaker from a Ipod dock from rat shack they come with thier own amplifier and run on 4 AAA bateries. The speakers play through the cheek screens on the outside of the recon helm.

you can just see the speaker in the first pic.

PC290092.jpg

PC290098.jpg

PC290097.jpg

Cheers!

Ok we need our electronics guys to answer this question. Can you take a Battery Pack like THIS and solder a power and ground wire to make is usful to run multiple lights on the armor and maybe some other low voltage utilities that Sentinel wants to run. Maybe using transistors to reduce amps. I don't know that's why I am asking. If we can get a big enough power supply then the rest of his ideas can work.

Ithica

well Ithica iv been thinking, and on the back pack you could run wires to a battery( that is if you are good with electronics) would run the whole suit

I part time design and interface flight simulators (hard cockpits) so switches and such is certainly my forte.

Wearable embedded electronics solutions are new, and something I would like to learn so that is why I am undertaking this project. And if I end up with a few extra to pay for my eventual armor build, all the better.

John

Ithica said:
Ok we need our electronics guys to answer this question. Can you take a Battery Pack like THIS and solder a power and ground wire to make is usful to run multiple lights on the armor and maybe some other low voltage utilities that Sentinel wants to run. Maybe using transistors to reduce amps. I don't know that's why I am asking. If we can get a big enough power supply then the rest of his ideas can work.

Ithica
Actually yes I use them in scale rc trucks to run lights, cooling fans, sound boards, and the radio gear. Also you can make very simple voltage regulators for just a couple of bucks from ratshack parts. If anyone has the intrest you can try your local bookstore for this its kinda the idiots guide to hobby electronics (worked for me lol) http://www.amazon.com/Robot-Builders-Bonan...s/dp/0071362967 it has step by step instructions and parts list for just about every thing you need for sound, lights, moving parts, and multiple voltage issues.

Sentinel said:
Actually that is the plan...or some other rediculosly easy method. My biggest problem is that everybodies helmet is different and I have no helmet to prototype into.

Heres what I have designed so far...

Features:

Lights
- Tactical Lights (4x)
- Navigation Lights (2x)

Fans (2x)

Audio System:
- Microphone (Internal)
- External Microphones (Directional - same concept as electronic ear protection)
- Speakers (2x) - Mix and output both external mics and radio at all times.
- "Auxillary In" Jack - ie Ipod input, second radio, etc.
- Voice Modulator/PA
- Built in FRS Radio
- Chin switch (3 POS: Radio/LAPAS (Local Area Public Address System)/OFF (For silence))

POWER:
Centrally Located Power Supply (Probably in suit, under chest. Would like to not use a special battery cause they are hard to recharge in the field. Easier to just put new AAs or 9Vs in.)

INPUT:
- Chin-Switch (2x 3 POS Push) (RADIO/LAPAS/OFF) (NAVLIGHT/TACLIGHT/OFF)
- Wrist-Control Panel (FRS controls, STATUS controls)

DISPLAYS:
- LCD for Radio display (Above left eye, visible at max vertical deviation.)
- LED "Status" SYSTEM (LED 3x6 Matrix) (Above right eye, visible at max vertical deviation.)
Red LED
- Blinking: "Open Fire"
- Solid: "Cease Fire"
Yellow LED
- Blinking: "Advance"
- Solid: "Fall Back"
Green LED
- Blinking: "Report In"
- Solid: "REDCON 1" or "I'm up!"

Lets pimp this shiznit. Lol but, you gotta admit that that's a lot of stuff.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but where would the power supply (Batteries, of course) go in a gauntlet? I'm doing a Halo 3 ODST, and I wanted to put in some stuff there, but as the gauntlets are slim, it'd be a bit tricky. (Even putting in the helmet could prove difficult)

EDIT: Oops. Didn't see the other pages! Got my question answered!

Just wanted to say, ya know, if you all need something designed, or a circuit to do something, let me know. I'm not an electrical engineer for nothin, ya know. :D

Privateer said:
Actually yes I use them in scale rc trucks to run lights, cooling fans, sound boards, and the radio gear. Also you can make very simple voltage regulators for just a couple of bucks from ratshack parts. If anyone has the intrest you can try your local bookstore for this its kinda the idiots guide to hobby electronics (worked for me lol) http://www.amazon.com/Robot-Builders-Bonan...s/dp/0071362967 it has step by step instructions and parts list for just about every thing you need for sound, lights, moving parts, and multiple voltage issues.
lol I have that book (y) , my mom got it for me when i was into battlebots. never would've thought to use it for helmet electronics though.

Privateer, I have to say the interior of that Recon bucket is just plain sexy.

I've always been a sucker for bucket electronics.

Veritech017 said:
Privateer, I have to say the interior of that Recon bucket is just plain sexy.

I've always been a sucker for bucket electronics.

Thanks! I still need to trim out the cut edge with something and paint the dayglow orange a less annoying color lol.

I'm sorry Matt but I liked these images so I used them. If it upsets you I will remove them.

Here is some visuals for some of the idea that Sentinel may have. These are rather Military practical. These Mods are up torso and helmet related so a battery pack similiar to those used for RC Cars can be placed un the vest to power the lights, camera and LCD screen. The camera is controled by the screen (sold together) and the lights are controlled by you with a toggle switch. Can someone but a circuit to help with Modification.

Front_View.jpg

Frontside:
The Forearm Mini LCD Screen:
The Mini LCD Screen you see is mounted on the forearm of your Firing Arm (arm you used to support your weapon to shoot) so you can view the screen while firing. The Monitor allows you to see what is behind you.

The Helmet LEDs:
The Inferred is used so Friendly Forces can Identify you along with you being able to see at night better while wearing Night Vision. The White LED is used for when you are in a Garrison enviroment and you want to see at night. No need for Inferred.

The Chest Plate LEDs:
There is 2 Green and 2 Red LEDs. They are for Friendly Forces to see your Weapon Status from the front side. Green Status is when you Weapon is clear of ammo and the selector switch is on safe (used when not in combat). Red Status is when you have a loaded magazine in the magazine well, a round in the chamber and the selector switch is on fire (ready to kill).

The Shoulder LEDs:
There is one Green and 1 Red LED. They are for the same reason as the Chest Plate LEDs but for the side view.

The importance of the colors to show Weapon Status is so Friendly Forces knows that their Battle Buddy is ready for action or ready to stand down. Just a visual security aid.

Rear_View.jpg

Backside:
Back Plate:
You see that at the top there is a total of 4 Inferred LEDs, this is so at night Friendly Forces can see your position while wearing Night Vision Goggles. They are placed at the top so they can been seen from above as well.
There is a Mini Camera mounted in the Back Plate so you can see what is behind you on your forearm Mini LCD Screen. It is difficuilt to see behind you due to limited field of view.

Butt Plate:
There are a total of 2 Green and 2 Red LEDs place here to show your Weapon Status from the backside.

Shoulder Armor:
1 Green and 1 Red LED is placed on each Shoulder Armor so Friendly Forces can see your Weapon Status on either side of you.

Chin_Toggle.jpg

This is the switch that will be placed in the helmet to activate the LEDs. You put where you can press down on it to activate the lights with your chin. Someone needs to build a circuit that will cycle through LEDs as you click it.

I hope this helps you out a little Sentinel.

Ithica

Ithica - to your post previous to this one, I'd say all those lights are a bit overkill... The LCD and a few lights are good, but in my opinion, the infrared LEDs on the back and LEDs in the shoulder as in the game would be enough. I'm just trying to be game-accurate.

Also, Gokussi, I don't know if u have a kit yet or not, (Sorry, haven't looked yet) but a set of small 3mm LEDs with the appropriate cables and power supply to make the lights on Chief's helmet would be appreciated. I'm not too electrical-saavy, so I'll need some help hooking it up, too.

I can appreciate you wanting to keep it game realistic but this thread is for alternate modifications that Sentinel wants to do. I am just helping with ideas. This thread may not be useful for you but will be for others. My personal opinion is that when I have my suit it will be close to realistic but I want it to be personalized a little bit. As far as realism, how far does one go. Like stated in another post most don't worry about under armor realism. To each his own I guess. We do what we do because we love it. Thanks for the imput it will be a good point for noobs so they know what direction they want to go.

Ithica

I laugh about the concept of "realism" in this, as do we not remember that this is a fictional armor, designed for fictional people, in a fictional future account of human history?

If this armor is so high tech on the outside, why not on the inside too? Lets look at some of the "Future Warrior" concepts the US Army is currently testing...

I dont see it as making it more 'realistic'. If halo was real, they wouldnt need the lights. they had everyone on radar, radio, and lights in thier hud that winked at them.

If you wanted lights to change color for different situations, you could always wire two LED's together. They run off DC and only work with current running one direction. IE, run the current left to right, the green light is on. Flip a switch and reverse the current, and it switches to red.

What Ive been wanting and trying to figure out is how to get the suit lights to flicker, like when you are dead, or when your sheilds are charging. Ive seen old, faulty flourecent lights that have the same exact flicker, but can this be reproduced with a portable circut? Ive also been trying to dream up a homemade switch, with a weight-driven paddle that floats between two leads, one for full voltage and one for half voltage. Walking around would cause the lights to flicker between bright, off, and dim. But because of the nature of the switch... the lights would lean towards one positoin more heavily than the others. Any ideas?

Im decent with simple homemade electronics. Voltage reversal and half-power switches are common knowledge to me, but if they need to be posted let me know.

What about ODST helmet lights? The halo 2 bucket Iam making has some spots that could house lights....I gotta few pics I can tinker with.......

EDIT---
Heres a pic I did up quick in paint, showing possible LED spots. The LEDS IMO would be fine, but a possible flashlight mount on either side would be easier to install/repair.
Note on the pic- All the spots are meant as seprate ideas, I wouldnt have 6 LEDs on a bucket lol.

odsthelmlightideaqf2.png

I dont see it as making it more 'realistic'. If halo was real, they wouldnt need the lights. they had everyone on radar, radio, and lights in their hud that winked at them.

Not to mean any disrespect but...
Yes its true. But in the halo universe Spartans did indeed have lights in their helmets that corresponds with tactical and squad info. Same goes with ODST. Also, the only lights i could imagine that the helmet was equiped with were the same flashlights for viewing in the dark.(As seen in the halo games).
As for the suits Spartans and ODST had everyone in a certain frequency of radar and radio which they could tell their individual status, or simply communicate with each other.
The only soldiers I think would have lights on their suits would be the Regular Marines. Cause basically their helmets aren't equip with HUDs. :cautious:
But thats my 2 cents. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back