Suit Electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shad0wJ0ker said:
Not to mean any disrespect but...
Yes its true. But in the halo universe Spartans did indeed have lights in their helmets that corresponds with tactical and squad info. Same goes with ODST.

That doesnt mean we shouldnt go all-out with our own suit. There was someone wondering where name, rank, and serial number would be posted on their armor. The answer is... its not posted anywhere. There are thousands of artistic (and non-halo) ways of adding modern day military requirements to non-existant futuristic suits. Keep the juices flowing! That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Balthezar Arith said:
That doesnt mean we shouldnt go all-out with our own suit. There was someone wondering where name, rank, and serial number would be posted on their armor. The answer is... its not posted anywhere. There are thousands of artistic (and non-halo) ways of adding modern day military requirements to non-existant futuristic suits. Keep the juices flowing! That is all.

No doubt. On my ODST armor Iam atleast going to have 857 on either the helmet or chest or what not. Also I might have dog tags or something else like it.

Ive also been trying to dream up a homemade switch, with a weight-driven paddle that floats between two leads, one for full voltage and one for half voltage. Walking around would cause the lights to flicker between bright, off, and dim. But because of the nature of the switch... the lights would lean towards one positoin more heavily than the others. Any ideas?

You are describing a old school mercury switch. It works off the concept of the mercury transmits current and is trapped in a glass or non current carrying tube with contacts left center and right. the mercury rolls to one side and contacts center and right or to the other side and contacts center and left. Or try your local hobby-shop that carries rail road models they have 12V flicker circuits for street lamps and house models.

(Edit)
You can also make a 12V power source from watch batteries they can be stacked in sieries and will work for LEDs just fine.

If you can power it up, do it.

But let me tell you, there's only so many places you can hide batteries and wires before it starts to look tacky.

hey cool, its nice to know about the 12V flicker switches! Im intrigued by the AC 'fire' bulbs that quicly alternate between two filiments, simulating fire. The only other product I know of is the flashing chrismass light bulbs, but those have such a delay... maybe they would come in handy for an inside flashing HUD light, just for fun. But yeah, I'll check out some model stuff. Though, the only place around my house is a Hobby Lobby, and they arent reliable for much... I'll look into it though!

There's a place called Tanner Electronics, and they have all sort of small lights. Even trailor nav lights in almost any color you want! I'm no where near a finished suit, but for some reason Im still itching to go in a buy all the lights I'll need. maybe they'll have an idea for the effect? Fun fun!

Veritech017 said:
If you can power it up, do it.
But let me tell you, there's only so many places you can hide batteries and wires before it starts to look tacky.

Im actually not worried about that. My armor is oversized, and Ive got a stockpile of rechargable bateries from broken high-speed RC racecars. They were made to run a 12V motor for 30 minuts at full speed, and Ive used them to run costom chrismass decorations (lights). They last about 3 hours, recharge overnight, and will fit pretty much anywhere! Im confidant at least.

Ithica said:
I see opinions and ideas are flowing. Now let's see some prototypes and images.

Ithica

I'm still trying to figure out what electronics I can fit inside the ODST helmet.

But when it gets to that point you can expect me to go overboard, so long as my cash flow stays intact.

Still, I can already see myself needing a haircut to avoid the fan, and I have short hair. Tight fit in the helmet.

Personally I would like to see the flashlite on the new C.Q.B ODST helmet get worked out, that looks awesome!

i've found LEDs that do red, green and blue in one bulb and with one of these you can do all colours of light. It would require a bit of electronics to control it but it wouldnt be all that complicated. Unfortunatley they're not all that bright so they couldn't be used for lighting, but they would make idea status indicators instead of have several bulbs.

I just wana ask this... has anyone thought of putting a xbox360 mic into the headset so you look awesome while playing halo. Im making a helmet out of cardboard and i have already put mic in and it works ok.

A wired or wireless, because a wireless wouldn't be seen and would look cool. When you use a wired it would be functional, but you have a wire protruding from your helmet. But my question is why.

Why would you wear a spartan helmet while you play halo? You would look pretty awesome, but it would just make your vision smaller and the screen harder to see. If you had that Live Vision or whatever you call it, it would be funny to intimidate your enemies, but it wouldn't make you play better.
Example

Bigalt424 said:
A wired or wireless, because a wireless wouldn't be seen and would look cool. When you use a wired it would be functional, but you have a wire protruding from your helmet. But my question is why.

Why would you wear a spartan helmet while you play halo? You would look pretty awesome, but it would just make your vision smaller and the screen harder to see. If you had that Live Vision or whatever you call it, it would be funny to intimidate your enemies, but it wouldn't make you play better.
Example

I've seen that video before but thats a perfect example!!! lol but sometimes when i play on xbox live i wear my helmet, it doesn't help but i feel confident

ok, i ripped this from my build thread, but i have a few ideas for things i'd like to include in my suit

1) fitting a thin steel strip down the right hand side (inside) of the torso and a switch activated electromagnet to my AR (and a similar thing for my pistol on my thigh) so i can carry my weapons like the MC...

2) cooling fans in all of the large pieces of armour (helmet, chest, cod, thighs)

4) using EL wire to light around the inside of my visor, and helmet opening hole

5) Wiring the suit so that i can control all the electrics with tactile button switches (like the ones used in car alarm remotes) sewn into my gloves (using a double layer of gloves with the switches in the finger tips so they can be activated by pressing the finger with my thumbtip, and detatchable sockets running up the sleve to make it easier to put the suit on

6) Directional mics in the ears hooked up to headphones in the helmet, with a volume control on the hand plate (something similar to what privateer has done, and i'm tempted to steal their idea...)

7) Fitting rechargeable battery packs into the chest plate to power everything (very doable...an outdoors company in europe have just released a line of jackets with electric warming elements in them powered by thin flat rechargeable battery packs sewn into then)

8) hinging the front of the cod for calls of nature

9) Pockets in the belt...and now chest (thanks balthazar)

10) making the ass plate from high density foam so i can actually sit in it with out cracking the damn thing! (i dont know if the finished models of the vets on here can be sat in, so this is just a general idea i know its not electronics, but sitll! plus, the butt plate's not that detailed!)

11) lining the undersuit or the armour with aluminium caoted mylar (emergency sheets for camping, and marathon runners) to reduce infra red signature..i mean, people are on about the future warrior aspect of what we could do with these suits! and you can also get relatively inexpensive trauma plates on the internet on ebay too that you can fit in the bigger armour pieces

12) Giving the helmet IR night vision capability (already covered in this and other threads)

what can i say, i have a lot of time in labs and lectures to think this stuff up (i've also worked out how to survive a zombie apocalypse)

I've been told (shameless big bang theory quote) that i'm one failed experiment away from super villainy.......

What i was planning to do was fit two pinhole HD cameras into my helmet and linking them to and OLED display printed straight onto the inside of my visor. Strip the insides of a new Macbook and use the touchpad to control all of the suits functions.

gasman7 said:
What i was planning to do was fit two pinhole HD cameras into my helmet and linking them to and OLED display printed straight onto the inside of my visor. Strip the insides of a new Macbook and use the touchpad to control all of the suits functions.

I was considering doing something similar myself, the only problem i've come across is that with the screen being so close to your eyes it would be difficult to focus on them and you'd end up straining your eyes before too long. You need to put some kind of lenses on the screens in order to focus the image onto your eyes, similar to the way they do it in these.

MadManInABox said:
I was considering doing something similar myself, the only problem i've come across is that with the screen being so close to your eyes it would be difficult to focus on them and you'd end up straining your eyes before too long. You need to put some kind of lenses on the screens in order to focus the image onto your eyes, similar to the way they do it in these.

That's pretty similiar to my idea except the whole visor is a display. I was looking at the Vuzix website and found this. Good for marine armour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back