Superglue Not So Super?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pvt. Mendosa said:
just a quick question, is there any special type of superglue that has to be used in glueing cardstock? i bought krazy glue but it doesnt stick the paper together, just my fingers. i also keep it in the freezer and wondered if it needs to warm up before it becomes effective. i was gonna use hot glue but i dont think it has the finesse that some of the hd folds require.

DON'T use hot glue to stick cardstock together. DO use Gorilla Glue's Super Glue. It's urethane reinforced and will bond anything together in 30 seconds. It will definitely work better than krazy glue as it creates a bond that is stronger than the cardstock and will soak into the first layer or so of cardstock.

Oh and by the way, superglue is thermosetting (notice that it gets warm like bondo and fiberglass when it's hardening? Well it does if you use enough of it!). Don't keep it in the freezer as this will make it harder to work with when you use it, Gorilla gives you 30 seconds of work time which should be just right.

Also, to make it easier to work with on long joints like the 6 inch ones on the Hi-Def torso, it works really well if you can get the flap bend to the correct angle before you put glue on it. Or another good way is if the two pieces to be joined are still relatively flat, put glue on one edge and then flip it to that the top side is down and run your finger over the flap at a reasonable pressure. This will help you get a consistent joint to work with.

Make sure that you fiberglass all superglue joints extremely well! They can fail if enough stress is placed on them. The glue itself will not fail but the cardstock is 2 ply. The joined ply can separate from the unjoined ply if enough stress is placed on the joint. This usually happens at the edges of your pep files.

Last edited by a moderator:
DON'T use hot glue to stick cardstock together.
This is obviously a preference and not a do or do not. I use it all the time and there are no complaints. I believe I am turning out some great HD models with hot glue.

rube said:
Do yourself a favor and don't bother with generic superglues. Go to your local hobby shop and get the real deal.
pt04_l.jpg

I've got to second (or is it third?) this notion. When you go to the hobby shop, ask for Zap-a-Gap or their store-brand equivalent. If you want to sound smart, ask for "cyanoacrylate adhesive." Also tell them you need the kicker to go with it. For pep models I use the medium thickness. This gives you 5-15 seconds to work with it before it sets. If you spray the kicker on, it cures immediately.

Any CA-type adhesive will stick your skin together. From what I'm told, it was originally developed to be used as a battlefield-expedient form of suture to close wounds. Google it.

Fair warning: if you drip a drop onto your clothing it will cure very quickly. Especially if you're wearing cotton. As it cures, it gives off heat. If you land a drop on your jeans, it will burn your skin.

thorssoli said:
Also tell them you need the kicker to go with it. For pep models I use the medium thickness. This gives you 5-15 seconds to work with it before it sets. If you spray the kicker on, it cures immediately.

You dont have to buy kicker for superglue, Use bakeing powder, works the same way.

/Conny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back