Superglue Not So Super?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mothergoose

just a quick question, is there any special type of superglue that has to be used in glueing cardstock? i bought krazy glue but it doesnt stick the paper together, just my fingers. i also keep it in the freezer and wondered if it needs to warm up before it becomes effective. i was gonna use hot glue but i dont think it has the finesse that some of the hd folds require.

Your best bet is with Elmer's glue. Nothing special, just that same old stuff. Superglue is not ideal for paper because it soaks into the paper and sets before it can bond to the contact side. I have used superglue for years, and I have to say I have a love/hate relationship with it. I try not to use it when I can manage.

As long as you get the GEL superglue your fine. it doesnt soak in and you actually get some time to work with it (approximately 6 seconds, depending on the amount used)

Get the emlers glue. It gives you more time to adjust your folds (especially those tricky ones).

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

Remember kids, glue is all about personal preference. Mendosa was asking about a superglue issue, so lets help him in that department :]

Do yourself a favor and don't bother with generic superglues. Go to your local hobby shop and get the real deal.
pt04_l.jpg

"Crazy Glue" is a different formula that 'Super Glue' believe it or not.

I've had the same problems... but 'super' glue works fine. I use Loctite brand for my pep stuff and it works very well.

I'm using Loctite Superglue Gel Control, 4ml bottles and it works like a charm. Good set time, and never give up.

I also recommend plain Elmer's glue.. Bond times are between 5-10 seconds so I don't see the need to mess with messy Cyanoacrylates..
The harder you can press elmer's glue, the quicker the bond. I use one of those mini multi-tool pliers for those tiny, and usually unnecessary, pep sections.

rube said:
Do yourself a favor and don't bother with generic superglues. Go to your local hobby shop and get the real deal.
pt04_l.jpg

thats the best stuff also if you can get the kicker with it...it works well with plastic it bonds it together kinda like weilding

Last edited by a moderator:
BlacRoseImmortal said:
Ive had problems with krazy glue too... try using a different brand like Gorilla or LockTite ;)
Watch out with Gorilla glue, it expands as a foam when it hardens. Not much, but it ruined a $40 potato gun's reservoir for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently use Loctite Super Glue, it says Professional Super Strength formula on it. Works very well and you get alot more than the other brands of cyanoacrylate. It also has a really nice cap with a nice sturdy metal pin in it to keep it from clogging, and it actually works.

Ive found that if you wait too long to join the peices after you apply the super glue (too long being mere seconds) the glue will dry a bit on your tab, and then it wont stick. The glue will still be wet, but it will not bond. so you gotta get the glue on there and get it joined. Also sometimes i use one of super glues best characteristics, capillary action. Just hold the 2 peices to be joined where you want them, with no glue. Then touch a drop of glue to the space between the peices, capillary action will allow the glue to flow between the peices. that way you dont haveto worry about positioning it correctly AFTER the glue is applied. In the case of pepakura, align the tab and pinch to hold it in place Then touch the glue to the area where they join.

I use Zap-a-Gap alot on my styrene models, but i have to order it since Hobbytown USA is about an hour away. Elmers glue works good, and i personally hate Gorilla glue. Theres another type ive seen at Lowes lately called Sumo GLue, but ive yet to try it. So far my favorites are super glue and hot glue. However hot glue is a bit too thick, and gets to be a pain when your sanding later on. Remember the key to working with Super Glue is speed.

^And whats this about gluing a potato gun with Gorilla Glue? Not the brightest idea.

thanks, at first i had some trouble getting it on there and then putting it together so fast while still getting it right, but the capillary action worked great. so i guess glue is just crazy, but thankfully your all super(i dont even think that could be called an attempt at a joke)

but im well on my way, hopefully i can get into a groove and actually make some progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back