Sword strengthening

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASCARPC

I am thinking of making the skyrim steel sword and I have the pepakura file and I am wondering how to strengthen it any ideas

For this type of build I'd recommend using rondo, after you've made the sword and applied a coat of resin to the outside. If I'm making no sense right now there's plenty of better explained tutorials on rondo in the noob section. Hope your build turns out, S323 out.

depending on material and the sword's thickness placing a couple electrical wires inside the length of the sword might work (but if someone else has a better idea go with it I am a amateur)

Fun trick from the haunt industry for you! If you don't want the sword to be hollow and are just doing exterior coloring then once you've built the sword you can fill it with Great Stuff (aerosal expanding foam) once it dries and hardens it will have filled the entire inner area of the sword and makes it extremely rigid while not adding too much weight. It's a really easy way to take a cheap plastic hammer that would collapse on itself into a rock on a stick.

electricle wire? these are to flexibile. but you can add a metal wire with a higher thickness.
place this wire while you glue the pepfile.
then the pepakura model should be hard enough to use several coats of resin on the outside. if you have it hard enough you can use Rondo (mix out of resin and bondo) to harden it.
you can also split the sword into two halfs and use fiberglas cloth. you add some wet sheets of fiberglas you should use tape to strap the two pieces together to prevent warping.on the inside the fiberglas could try and your sword is hard enough.

hope this helps :)

try 10 gauge steel wire. its thick and rigid but you can still bend it by hand, though normal wire cutters will have some trouble cutting it. ive recently picked up making chainmail and i bought some 8in bolt cutters, their like 10 bucks.

if you want some thats still strong but that you can cut with normal wire cutters, get 14 gauge wire. you can usually get 100ft for like 7 bucks.

Fun trick from the haunt industry for you! If you don't want the sword to be hollow and are just doing exterior coloring then once you've built the sword you can fill it with Great Stuff (aerosal expanding foam) once it dries and hardens it will have filled the entire inner area of the sword and makes it extremely rigid while not adding too much weight. It's a really easy way to take a cheap plastic hammer that would collapse on itself into a rock on a stick.

Before adding the expanding foam, coat with lots of resin. The expanding foam on just paper will shrink and collapse when it dries.

At least I hope, I've had bad experiences doing exactly that.
http://s299.beta.photobucket.com/user/thatdecade/media/Halo Sword 09/100_2972.jpg.html?sort=6&o=179

http://s299.beta.photobucket.com/user/thatdecade/media/Halo Sword 09/100_2961.jpg.html?sort=6&o=189

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back