Templates or freehand...fastest for Halloween?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masternewbie

I'm wondering if anyone has researched this before....I have searched but I am possibly using poorsearch terms. Anyway...I have armor to build for my 7 year old.
I bought a store bought mask 1/2 vacuform halo helmet.

I want to do this fast, and hopefully economically in time and money.

For simple armor that looks halo-esque....no need for accuracy here!
Which is quickest for a newbie...the unfolded templates traced on the foam,
OR just trying to do it freehand?

Again, I'd like the recognizable chest/ back piece, some armor on the forearms shoulders and legs, etc. Small details won't be missed (even though if I had the time it would be cool).

I plan on hot glue, wood glueing/pva to harden and either plasti-dip or another coating of sealer and painting.

Thanks for your opinions...and I apologize in advance if I broke posting rules by accident (middle-aged dad trying to make his son a cool costume.)

I have more foam than I need...the rolls from sears (10mm) and some 2x2, a bit thicker. Just need to find my hot glue gun! :)

You could make a suit of simple MK V armor form Halo CE . You could complete a suit that looks really good in that amount of time. You could simplify some parts of the armor and it could be awesome! good luck!

To me I prefer template and some freehand on the fly type. You can use low def files and detail them with some craft foam and you should be able to get it done in a month. I might be able to help you with the template and this will take me a few days to make.

I do appreciate the offer, but I think I should be ok with some of the templates on here. The MOST difficult concept for me is....so I cut out the templates onto the foam, then...HOW the heck do you piece all the foam together?

There are no numbers to match up, obviously, so does everyone just look at how it should look and do their best to get the angles and such? The Halo chest/back piece Bulges here and there, and I will be surprised if I get anywhere close.

So does everyone just take the pieces and look at the unfolded picture, and glue away?

Thanks again.

Assuming (dangerous I know) you are using pep files as templates you can just leave pep designer open and use it as your guide to which piece goes where. And yes, there is alot of on the fly decisions you have to make when working with foam, at least for me there are. A heat gun is also a very good tool to have when working with foam. You can get the foam to do a whole lot more when it is heated. And as far as the glue goes, use hot glue, preferably not the low temp version. Hope this helped and best of luck to you with your project! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back