The cheapest helmet strengther method!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterBest1

Well, iv'e thinked about a thing! When you are making your pep helmet, you're useing fiberglass resin, right! But instead you might can use this:

1. Make your pep helmet.
2. Do Frosts Hot Glue method!
3. Papier mache it!
4. Paint it.
5. Add like 5-10 layers of invisible lack. (I think it's right spelled!)

Do anyone think this will work?
Then this might will be the cheap way to make your armor! :D

EDIT:

This is the cheapest method! I'm using it.

1. Make your pep helmet.
2. Do Frosts Hot Glue method!
3. Papier mache it!
4. Paint it.
5. Add like 5-10 layers of invisible lack. (I think it's right spelled!)

You could try Epoxyd too, i used it befor i found this Site and its not toxic! The 5min Epoxyd smells a little like fresh Dogshit in the first Minutes, but the L-Hardener System that longer needs to try have no Smell, you can use it with Fiberglas too.

Crossfire said:
I wouldnt paper mache. It usually ruins your piece and you loose detail. Its also not that strong

WTF? Not that strong? If you make 4-5 layers of it, damn, IT'S JUST AS STRONG AS FIBREGLASS! I EVEN USE MY PAPER MACHED HELMET IN AIRSOFT/PAINTBALL!
Only did Paintball once, though, kindof ruined my cheap-ish paintjob :p
Jees.
But you do lose SOME detail. But I wouldn't say it ruins your piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zyclone said:
WTF? Not that strong? If you make 4-5 layers of it, damn, IT'S JUST AS STRONG AS FIBREGLASS! I EVEN USE MY PAPER MACHED HELMET IN AIRSOFT/PAINTBALL!
Only did Paintball once, though, kindof ruined my cheap-ish paintjob :p
Jees.
But you do lose SOME detail. But I wouldn't say it ruins your piece.

LMAO!!!!!!!! If you take a paper mache mask for instance and throw it to the floor it will crack. Fiberglass is alot stronger then papier mache!!!
I mean think about it if paper mache was as strong as fiberglass.. they would be making surfboards with it... but no they fiberglass it. It's not that useful either if it starts to rain..

Also paper mache doesnt lose detail if you know how to do it properly. Professionals can make paper mache as accurate as clay sculpts.

-Fin(n)ish

EDIT: i had news paper covering the floor when i was fiberglassing and discovered something cool... newspaper is very strong mixed with resin... just to let you know.

Finnish_Spartan said:
LMAO!!!!!!!! If you take a paper mache mask for instance and throw it to the floor it will crack. Fiberglass is alot stronger then papier mache!!!
I mean think about it if paper mache was as strong as fiberglass.. they would be making surfboards with it... but no they fiberglass it. It's not that useful either if it starts to rain..

lol not only would it be not usefull in the rain, it wouldnt be usefull for its purpose AT ALL if it was a mache surfboard:lol:

anyway i dont recomend mache either yea its cheaper yes it smells better, but its not as strong and you lose detail, as said before. i just dont think thats worth it being a lil faster. but maybe if you dont have enough cash go right ahead. ;)

Sisko4 said:
You could try Epoxyd too, i used it befor i found this Site and its not toxic! The 5min Epoxyd smells a little like fresh Dogshit in the first Minutes, but the L-Hardener System that longer needs to try have no Smell, you can use it with Fiberglas too.

NOT TRUE! EPOXY IS A RESIN AND IS TOXIC!

From the LOCTITE 5 minute epoxy package:

DANGER: Resin contains epoxy resin. Hardener contains polymercaptan, amorphous silica and amine curing agents. Do not get in eyes or on skin. Do not breathe vapors.

WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer.

Also please don't swear in the forums!

Sean Bradley said:
NOT TRUE! EPOXY IS A RESIN AND IS TOXIC!

From the LOCTITE 5 minute epoxy package:
Also please don't swear in the forums!

Hmm, Loctite...never used Glue from that Company, anyway sry, ive forgot that the most People here live in the U.S.
But i use a Epoxyd that not have such Instructions on it and i dont noticed ever toxic Smell or other? Can it be that Epoxyd from other Companys have other Chemicals?? When i use that L-System 24h Epoxyd i dont smell anything, even at the glueing. Same for that 5min Epoxyd i use...okay stinks a little for a short Time, but i never needed an Airfiltermask and other Tools that are important for the Polyesterresin or Bondo.

Well, delete it when you want, i dont want that somebody gets the Epoxyd that you mean and make it my Way.

I think resin and fiberglass alone is still the best, though toxic, they work just fine. But if you are looking for a cheap non toxic way, go with hot glue, works well, is strong, and dries very quick. (30 seconds)

AoBfrost said:
I think resin and fiberglass alone is still the best, though toxic, they work just fine. But if you are looking for a cheap non toxic way, go with hot glue, works well, is strong, and dries very quick. (30 seconds)

Lol, frost. Advertising much?

Anyway, there was a guy who paper mache'd his, i'll try to find a link.

Ole'Irish-man said:
paper mache would work, but you would have to be good with it

im testing some epoxy on card-stock right now :/ don't know how well it will work out, im just hoping it didn't warp it.

Being a bowyer I use fiberglass cloth along with bowgrip 100. it dries clear and hard and very light.

Though it has a 24 hr dry time. >_>

Regular printer paper will warp no matter what you put on it, any liquid will be absorbed into it, and this it wont maintain shape, stock strength of regular printer paper cant even handle the weight of a strip of wet news paper.

i know u can get some top noch quality paper mache stuff at hobby stores, if u have to do paper mache i suggest you practice and use the good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back