The cheapest helmet strengther method!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JediStumpy said:
And also fiberglass will crack if you throw it on the ground. it is stong! but is also brittle
if you have 3 layers of fiberglass it wont crack... if you make 4 layers i think you could actually sit untop of your helmet...
If you use fiberglass matt.. it's nearly impossible to crack even one layer... fiberglass cloth isnt actually as durable...

-Fin(n)ish

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why everyone uses paintballing and airsofting as examples, how many people actually use their armor for that?

What you would want to use for an alternative to resin and fiberglass depends on what your intentions are. If you're looking to ruin your suit and run around and throw your helmet into walls, you probably won't find a decent non-toxic alternative, although there is This thread, non-toxic Aqua-Resin, which is shaping up to be a sturdy non toxic resin.

If all you really want is a cool looking helmet that will sit on a shelf and you wear around from time to time, paper mache should work fine. It isn't terribly strong, but most people won't need a helmet you can sit on. It's completely non harmful, pleasant to work with, and can be worked on pretty much anywhere you want with no need for ventilation or respirators.

I've got an old WIP thread here: LINK
And my finished paper mache helms here: LINK

They aren't the best lookin things, but they're dirt cheap and totally harmless. Not strong enough for trooping, but sturdy enough to sit on display and look nice.

There is a reason that a corvette body is made of fiberglass. It is light weight and strong. Yes it will crack if to much force is applied But it is a lot easier to repair fiberglass than it is to repair than the other ways. If you use more than one layer of fiber cloth make sure the fibers from the two mats cross each other in a X pattern. As far as looks they can be made to look nice with some work.

The only thing I can think of the cheap out an be non toxic and sturdy would be hto glue and paper mache, both very cheap, paper mache alone is semi sturdy, and hot glue is pretty sturdy too, but I still like the hot glue/aqua resin idea.

AoBfrost said:
The only thing I can think of the cheap out an be non toxic and sturdy would be hto glue and paper mache, both very cheap, paper mache alone is semi sturdy, and hot glue is pretty sturdy too, but I still like the hot glue/aqua resin idea.

Got to agree with you there. I've tried paper mache on a few of my own pieces, and they just don't hold up very well or take much abuse. True, you probably won't enter a war in pep armor, but you want to be able to wear your stuff without treating it like a china plate :p

TrintLord said:
Being a bowyer I use fiberglass cloth along with bowgrip 100. it dries clear and hard and very light.

Though it has a 24 hr dry time. >_>

soo do you use bowgrip 100 to replace the fiberglass type resin?

Ruze789 said:
I don't know why everyone uses paintballing and airsofting as examples, how many people actually use their armor for that?

What you would want to use for an alternative to resin and fiberglass depends on what your intentions are. If you're looking to ruin your suit and run around and throw your helmet into walls, you probably won't find a decent non-toxic alternative, although there is This thread, non-toxic Aqua-Resin, which is shaping up to be a sturdy non toxic resin.

If all you really want is a cool looking helmet that will sit on a shelf and you wear around from time to time, paper mache should work fine. It isn't terribly strong, but most people won't need a helmet you can sit on. It's completely non harmful, pleasant to work with, and can be worked on pretty much anywhere you want with no need for ventilation or respirators.

I've got an old WIP thread here: LINK
And my finished paper mache helms here: LINK

They aren't the best lookin things, but they're dirt cheap and totally harmless. Not strong enough for trooping, but sturdy enough to sit on display and look nice.

Ruze's helmets were the ones I was looking for. His are an example of good, quality helmets for just about as cheap as it comes.

JediStumpy said:
soo do you use bowgrip 100 to replace the fiberglass type resin?

Yes. It is designed to work with wood and with fiberglass, since bows can be backed with both. It also has very little fumes and long shelf life. a gallon is about $75 and for fiberglass I actually just use backing strips :p found here.

Thank you for all help!
Now do i know how i'm going to do!

When my pep is done i will do a layer of melted glue on the inside! Then i will papier mache like 4-6 layers, Then paint it!
When that's done i will do like 2-4 layers of invisible lack, That is the cheapest method i know! And with all of those layers of strengther this will almost be uncrackable!

Thank you all! :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back