The Complete Respirator And Safety Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post! Im glad Im not the only one who cares about keeping my health XDD

Quick question, in the picture above with the Elmers Fiberglass resin I see bondo resin, and a picture of bondo body repair below it. Are these two different products or do you use the Bondo in the picture with the Elmers after the resin step?

--Please forgive my noobousity,

Warrior

Hey everyone. I am just another person saying that you do need to use all the safety gear you can while doing this hobby. (I hope i am not necro posting, but i don't think you can do that on a sticky can you?) Anyways its easy to read this and get scared and go out and buy a organic respirator and then just get to work. But you do need to think about the other safety features as well. The main one people seem to overlook is eye protection. I can speak from experience that getting things in your eye is not fun. I even had safety glasses on my head at the time i was cutting some plastic, but i had them turned around. I was to lazy to just lift my hand up and flip them back around to cover my eyes, and man did I pay for that. Don't be like me, and please use common sense while doing this.

Hey, I read this whole thread and I'm not sure if I overlooked this, but do you have to do anything after fiberglass resin sets to ensure that no fibers or or fumes still exist besides using baby powder, please reply.

i was wondering....would the lowes N95 respirator work for when i just sand?? and for the actual resining and fiberglassing, if i wear this and do the fiberglassing in my very windy back yard, do you think it would offer some protection against the resin fumes?

If you are planning to work with composite material you should have available:

Eye protection

Respirator

Latex, nitrile or neoprene gloves (the nitrile and neoprene are for people with latex allergies, you will find them at medical supply stores)

Disposable coveralls Home Depot

(trying to get free samples from Dupont)

You should never wear contact lenses while working with composites, even when working with cloth, mat or when sanding or finishing. Contacts should be non-reactive to the chemicles, but do you really want to risk your eyesight?

Eye protection and respirators should be worn any time you ar working with composites, this includes cutting the cloth or mat and while sanding or finishing, whether you are indoors or outdoors.

There are no regulations restricting waste from sanding and finishing operations. But this really applies to business' most of which operate out of business, warehouse, and industrial parks. Most of us are working at our homes and have neighbors within fifty feet of our work areas, not a good combination. Yes the particulates are diluted, but why risk it. When I do sanding and finishing work I do so in the garage. I plan on buiding a shelter out of PVC and plastic so I can work outside and ensure that my project will be undisturbed.

Full face respirators are available, but they are expensive. I would strongly suggest goggles that provide a good seal around the eyes. There are also forced air respirators but they are even more expensive. A gas mask can be used, but finding replacement cartridges can be difficult; check on availability before you go this route. No matter the type you get, you need to make sure it is working properly before you use each day, if you got it new the instructions will tell you how. A quick check should be done each time you don it: cover the outlet and attempt to exhale, the mask should expand, it's OK if it burps around the seal; next, cover the filters and try to inhale, the mask should collapse.

Notes on cartridges, There are many different cartridges, you want one that protects against organic compounds as well as fine particulate. If you precut your composite cloth/mat prior to working with the resin you can use two different cartridges, one for the organic compounds and the other for particulate. The particulate filters should stop particles smaller then 3 micron otherwise you may as well be wearing a nuisance dust mask. If you want to estimate how long a filter will last you can use the Advisor Genius to figure it out. You should not use smell as a guide, you will be breathing the vapors before you can detect them. When not using your mask, you can store the cartridges (the organic ones) in a ziplock bag to extend thier life, I subract an hour from the remaining time each time I put them in the bag.

For eye protection, the new genertion of sand/dust/wind goggles that the military issues should be good for this (yes, they have been issuing Oakley's, and there are some that fit over glasses), they also provide ballistic protection in case your dremmel bit breaks. However, they don't prevent chemical fumes from entering, so don't wear contacts. They are expensive, but they will last a long time.

I wear the coveralls anytime I'm working with composites, they keep the dust and chemicals off my body and out of my hair and clothes and provide an easy way to dispose of the material that gets on them.

I cannot start a new thread, so I hope this is ok to dump in here. Some may find it useful. (or maybe not?)

Something I havent seen mentioned before, and I think its quite important. The epoxy resins, and hardners used in the final build of the pepakura process, can detrimentally effect pregnant females. The chemicals can pass into breastmilk, and even the foetus in humans. I do not recommend using resins and hardeners near anyone who is currently expecting. The reason I mention this is in a few months I will become a father (for the third time), and while the prospect of a gentically modified super mutant child, with lazer vision and tentacles is somewhat appealing, I'm sure the mrs would have non of it.

Fiberglass resin is a much safer substance to use these days, than it used to be. Older resins contained high levels of epichlorohydrin, a contaminant with known links to certain human cancers. Some modern resins still contain this chemical but at much reduced amount. It is no longer a cancer hazard to humans or test animals.

Hardeners (which contain DDS diaminodiphenyl sulfone) are carcinogenic to lab animals, and some hardners based on glycidyl ethers can cause genetic mutations in lab animals. However, there is no data to suggest glycidyl ethers have the same effect on humans, (as we have a different physiology) but is it worth not using protective gloves? I dont think so.

There are some solvents and diluents in expoy resins (2-ethoxyethanol and 2-methoxyethanol) which cause reduced sperm count in human males, and thus lowers the ability to succesfully procreate. It has been evidenced to damage the testes of animals, and produce genetically damaged offspring (high risk of birth defects). I do not recommend this as a sneaky method of birth control. It would be like using a pistol to cure a headache.

So how exactly do epoxy products effect humans? (AKA Derp!)

Epoxy resin can effect your health when they come into contact with the skin. They also effect the lungs and respiratory tract when they evaporate into particulate matter in the very air you are breathing.

How do you recognise the symptoms of overexposure? (AKA Thud!)

Headaches from the fumes, Irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and skin. Extra precautions must be taken if the user is asthmatic, or has a pre existing respiratory illness (tightness of the chest, shortness of breath or wheezing and coughing). Other effects may include headaches, dizziness, Nausea, slurring of speech, thickened tongue, and even a loss of consciousness. There is also the possibility of a highly confusional state, similar to carbon dioxide poisoning or watching Lithuanian soap operas.

Epoxy resins can also cause skin irritations. Symptoms may include redness, swelling, flaking, and itching on the hands, face, or any exposed surface area of skin.

Extra precations should be takem to protect the eyes from accidental splashes. The heat generated by the curing process can literally burn away the retina. The schlera is also thin enough to allow rapid absorption of the chemicals into the eye. Remember it will be a short 3-4 inch journey to the brain via the optic nerves. If eye protection is not used, or is not practical (you better have a damn good excuse), then I recommend a bottle of eyewash (with recepticle) nearby. Place over the affected eye and continue rinsing for at least 15 minutes. It should go without saying, that you should then seek medical attention ASAP.

How does Fiberglass effect humans? (AKA FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!)

In short, it is an irritant. They are basically "spun glass" and can cut you in a fashion similar to a paper cut. The wounds can become irritated (especially the eyes and repiratory tract) if the glass fiber is not flushed out. The fibers can become airborne, and float around for quite a long time, carried by air currents. They can travel a considerable distance, and can be "reactivated" by any new influx of air pressure.

Is fiberglass itself cancerous? (AKA Colonel Mustard, in the Library)

There is no conclusive data to support this position, despite oft repeated "common knowlege". If fiberglass is surgically implanted into lab animals, it can produce certain types of cancer, but this has not been evidenced (or replicated) in humans. Glass fibers can however be drawn deep into the lungs if left unprotected, and it is likely that respiratory illness may develop after repeated long term exposure (similar to asbestosis). While not directly related to asbestos fibers, as a precautionary measure, one should probably expect similar disease related effects such as :

Pleural thickening.

Psuedomesothelioma.

Lung cancers (probability is low but more data is needed).

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Alveolitis.

How do I avoid these effects and symptoms? (AKA Punch it, Bishop!)

I would recommend Sean Bradleys useful tutorial "The Complete Respirator And Safety Guide" http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8604

The only additional advice I could resonably give, is to make sure you wear a repirator (with usable filters) that is rated for organic compunds (A1) or (A2) and try to make sure the capacity level is adequate for the enviroment. Low capacity for exterior use, and High capacity for internal usage. I would also recommend full eye protection, and latex or rubber gloves, while handling these chemicals and materials.

Besides my introduction post, this is my first time posting. Please forgive my mistakes. I have been working on a basic Master Chief suit using basic construction methods, almost done with resining.

I have recently noticed the resin/bondo smell migrating to my side of the respirator. Is that normal? I replace the cartridges when necessary, and I always check the mask's seal.

I've also started sanding, and I don't think my masks are working. Any suggestions as to finding the right kind?

Thank you in advance

A bit of smell coming through the respirator isn't unusual.. remember it filters our organic vapors, not odors. Replace your cartridges as specified by the manufacturer, and if you ever feel lightheaded or dizzy when working with resin, take a break and get some fresh air.

As for sanding masks, i like using the 3M masks like these: 3M masks at Lowes You should be able to find these in any hardware store.

Someone please clarify, would it be okay to use a gas mask? I have a few fullface ones, but I was gonna wear my M17, which has moderately new filters and a chem hood. I'm not going to make a real habit of huffing resin fumes so I figure one time with a less-than-adequate safety device wouldn't kill me.

EDIT: just read Cha*Man's post, looks like I can get away with it.

I need to know if one without a chem hood or other skin-protector would be all right, The M17 is a real bitch to see out of

nice saftey guide. but whats with that new non toxic resin stuff?

im living in Australia and I use Diggers brand resin which has an added wax which prevents the harmful vapours from excaping the resin. I rang their customer support to confirm this and I was told that If working outside / open environment I wouldnt need a mask. If indoors you should wear a mask as the resin gives of a harmless smell.

I Understand that I should wear my mask when im cutting through fibreglass with a dremel, but im finding it hard to locate information of keeping my work area clean and dust free whilst I do so.

I know you should only wipe down fibreglass with a wet cloth. But Im wondering if I could buy a small hand vac so that Whilst Im cutting it could suck up a good majority of the dust thats coming off??

and will any type of vac do ? i presume one with a bag for better disposal as a bagless one would probably let the dust escape when Its emptying time xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back