The great Foam Foray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I am rather lazy when it comes to updating this thread I have been hard at work on my foam armor set. Here are the latest pics I have. None of the pieces are completely painted but either way here they are.

Probably one of the most time consuming of the pieces that I have completed so far is my Gugnir helmet.

firstfoampaintupdate017-Copy_zps6eba02e1.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate018-Copy_zpsd74ca26e.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate019-Copy_zps48e12fae.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate023-Copy_zpscdbe7683.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate024-Copy_zps44527bf4.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate026-Copy_zps21d6df48.jpg

If you look at the side of my helmet you will see a flash light that I have attached to it. I plan to use the case of this light as a housing for the video camera I have coming in the mail. So far, unless some one can point me elsewhere I thin I am the only one on the forums who has attempted this helmet without making any other means to see out of it. If all goes well any other means wont be necessary.

firstfoampaintupdate027-Copy_zps704ba9c5.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate028-Copy_zps9226b287.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate030-Copy_zps7d8f5190.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate031-Copy_zps3dd9c894.jpg

The painting on the helm is probably 75 percent complete, but it sure is hard to believe that it started out as foam floor mat.

firstfoampaintupdate032-Copy_zpse8d91a09.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate033-Copy_zpsd7567d7e.jpg

although improved this fake little camera piece sure pulls of the task of looking genuine.

My apologies for the double post but the forums would not let me upload all the photos I wanted to in a single one.

firstfoampaintupdate034-Copy_zps7738d780.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate037_zps5ea16bdf.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate036_zpsa7651611.jpg

Also nearing completion is my chest piece. Outside of some minor painting issues all that is left to do is to make and attach the HP-Halo front armament.

firstfoampaintupdate038-Copy_zps4b46943a.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate040_zpsdd62462f.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate041_zps3787a5e4.jpg

firstfoampaintupdate042_zpsdc81c9b2.jpg

Not seen in the above pics is the cod pace and ab wrap I have all but finished. Untill a few supplies have arrived I can not complete them and I would rather not show them off until they are in a better state.

Looking good man, other than trying to put a camera in the visor, what other fanct stuff are you going to try?

I do plan to add a battery in the chest piece. With this I plan to run charging wires from the helmets cam and my phone within. I haven't decided if I want to add Leds yet though.

First of all I would like to thank everyone who has followed my build so far. I know I don't update often, but it is always great to read all the compliments and critiques. That aside I have another large batch of photos covering plenty more of my suit.

foamupdatelegs014_zpsf8ce9114.jpg

foamupdatelegs013_zps861c8f14.jpg

foamupdatelegs012_zps74dd203e.jpg

foamupdatelegs011_zpsf4a5af65.jpg

As it stands those are all the pieces I have made so far. Within the last two weeks I have made the base for the thighs shins and boots. All that awaits is to add craft foam for detail then those pieces will be for paint. If you look closely you will see that I have also repainted my jfo helmet that was originally made for my first build. With my success in the foam department I have now decided to discontinue the other build but it was a great experience for learning. The reason I repainted the jfo helmet actually has to do with the gungnir helmet though. I was able to purchase a video camera that can stream straight to my phone. Because of this I can view what is outside the helmet with out any convenient peep holes. What I over looked in this method was the fact that my point of view is slightly off due to the placement of the camera, which isn't seen in the photos, and the fact that viewing the world through a screen throws my depth perception completely off. Now I dont plan to not wear the gungnir helmet but I will need to practice with it a lot be fore I feel comfortable walking around at a con. In the mean time the jfo will be my go to helm.

foamupdatelegs010_zps1f5fb565.jpg

foamupdatelegs009_zps23a1e5e0.jpg

foamupdatelegs008_zps5e506b0f.jpg

foamupdatelegs006_zpsf18a2e6c.jpg

Until I finish the leg pieces up to the point that they can hook them up to the cod and under suit these are all the armor pieces that I can freely wear at the moment. If you look at the biceps you can tell that they just like the other pieces are not secured to the rest of the suit or under suit. I just couldn't help but see what I looked like with all that armor on, even if it has a long way to go.

foamupdatelegs027_zps72755d99.jpg

here is the attachment I plan to use for the chest. The only real problem I have had so far is deciding how I will make the mortar shells that will go with it. I have pvc pipe I can use as the main canister, but I have no Idea on how I should make the bullet point. If anyone could show me to a good method of making said bullet point I would much appreciate it.

I promise in the future that I will update more frequently as to avoid these double post.

foamupdatelegs026_zps88d20bc8.jpg

foamupdatelegs025_zpsabcaa9fa.jpg

foamupdatelegs024_zpsa5e536e2.jpg

foamupdatelegs022_zpsd6130f4c.jpg

foamupdatelegs021_zps31d2cbb1.jpg

foamupdatelegs020_zpsfa0dff73.jpg

foamupdatelegs019_zps3ad4473e.jpg

foamupdatelegs018_zpsfea657d1.jpg

Although they aren't pretty those are the pieces that yet await to be covered in craft foam.

In my opinion I have saved the best for last, my m6c/socom pistol. I purchased this master piece of a prop from "Justinian 117" back in the spring. He gave me the option to buy a unpainted one for a lower cost than the ones he paints. With great confidence I choose to paint mine myself. Now the painting didn't take but a few days, on the other hand I only worked on this pistol occasionally about once or twice a month. When I received the pistol Justin was kind enough to include a complex set of instructions that would let me make mine look just like his. After much working I achieved this to a greater or lesser extent. The only part I modded was the flashlight. For mine I drilled out the false flashlight and inserted my own. Otherwise all the cool tricks this gun has were thought up by justin even removable clips that are held in place via magnet.

foamupdatelegs017_zpsb44a2d9b.jpg

foamupdatelegs016_zps4a0a0933.jpg

With school and cross country I am still limited to only working on weekends, even so here is what I have accomplished.

For starters I have completely repainted and finished my JFO helmet

helmetpic001_zps5ca4b1bd.jpg

Other wise I completely covered the rest of my leg pieces in foamies. Completing the main portion of my armor set . All that is left is to make the tactical hard case and wait for six more cans of plastidip to arrive so i can seal and paint my legs. This however led me to get a head of myself and try on every piece of armor I could.

nearingcompletion014_zps4218353b.jpg

nearingcompletion017_zps9a087cee.jpg

Ironically the pic from behind turned out better.

My twin brother also couldn't help but try on the set. Here is a video of him dancing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minor upgrades and improvements

Well the plasti-dip that I ordered a few weeks ago will not arrive at my home until monday. Because of this I used what little I had left to coat then paint the bucklers for my fore arm pieces.

nearlyfinishedneedpaint014_zps869549b1.jpg

nearlyfinishedneedpaint011_zps634f6608.jpg

nearlyfinishedneedpaint010_zpsfd06ca79.jpg

I also began made the bakplate along with the spinal pieces for my armor today. As a disclaimer I pretty much copied roxyroo's piece for piece. I choose this because I admire her armor very much and the way she crafted the spinal pieces they cover much more of an area than they would if I were to go with the pieces included in the foam v4 chest.

nearlyfinishedneedpaint008_zps85e05474.jpg

nearlyfinishedneedpaint006_zps4a3ba3d3.jpg

nearlyfinishedneedpaint009_zps4e4656ae.jpg

Outside of these few pieces I have also began work on strapping and the under suit. Fortunately I will be able to go to my cousins house tomorrow to make the under suit. He, supprisingly enough, is good at sewing. Hearing about my armor he jumped at the chance to help. So if all goes well I should have a decent under suit in the not to long future. Until later, happy building.

P.S. does anyone know were I could make stickers, I would really like to add emblems and the 405th insignia to my armor.

Although it is in need of many little modifications ,my suit is 99% complete.

I am going to let the pictures say the rest.

Suitcompleteawaitingupgrade029_zps97edc50a-1.jpg

Suitcompleteawaitingupgrade027_zps5a95977f.jpg

Suitcompleteawaitingupgrade025_zps686836aa.jpg

Suitcompleteawaitingupgrade024_zps8e13d2e3.jpg

Suitcompleteawaitingupgrade023_zpse1df32d9.jpg

Although it is in need of many little modifications ,my suit is 99% complete.

I am going to let the pictures say the rest.

Suitcompleteawaitingupgrade029_zps97edc50a-1.jpg

What's the 1%?
I never get tired of seeing first time foam builds, and I'm always shocked to see how fantastic they all turn out. This is another of my favourites.
Do you use any method for guidelines as an alternative for pepakura? Or do you literally build as you go? I'm trying to research foam builds before getting myself into something I can't finish haha.

Once again, fantastic job on a first time foam build.

What's the 1%?
I never get tired of seeing first time foam builds, and I'm always shocked to see how fantastic they all turn out. This is another of my favourites.
Do you use any method for guidelines as an alternative for pepakura? Or do you literally build as you go? I'm trying to research foam builds before getting myself into something I can't finish haha.

Once again, fantastic job on a first time foam build.

The 1 %
I need to finish the hand plates

The front of the boots need modified so that they are flush with the ground with out actually rubbing against it.

Were the thighs meet my knees the openings are slightly large.

The two mortar shells that belong on the chest are still being painted.

Under suit is still being worked on.

The Method to my Madness

As much as possible I used pre-existing foam templates when possible. Should I not have this option I would take a normal pep, remove tabs and all left side pieces creating a foam template. Very few times did I have to scratch build. That said scratch built pieces tend to turn out very well if carefully thought out.

The 1 %
I need to finish the hand plates

The front of the boots need modified so that they are flush with the ground with out actually rubbing against it.

Were the thighs meet my knees the openings are slightly large.

The two mortar shells that belong on the chest are still being painted.

Under suit is still being worked on.

The Method to my Madness

As much as possible I used pre-existing foam templates when possible. Should I not have this option I would take a normal pep, remove tabs and all left side pieces creating a foam template. Very few times did I have to scratch build. That said scratch built pieces tend to turn out very well if carefully thought out.

Pre existing foam templates?

Also are the armor pieces flexible, or do you have a method of internal support? (Specifically for the helmet/torso or is the structure 100% foam?)

Anyway fantastic suit, I wouldn't have even noticed the 1% if you hadn't told me. And I'd love to see pics of the undersuit when it's done.

Thanks for the responses, sorry to swarm you with questions :)

Pre existing foam templates?

Also are the armor pieces flexible, or do you have a method of internal support? (Specifically for the helmet/torso or is the structure 100% foam?)

Anyway fantastic suit, I wouldn't have even noticed the 1% if you hadn't told me. And I'd love to see pics of the undersuit when it's done.

Thanks for the responses, sorry to swarm you with questions :)

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33480-L3X-s-File-Database This link will show you some foam templates.

As far as the arms go my range of motion is still about 50%. If it weren't for the chest piece the arms themselves don't hinder motion. With exception to the helmet everything on the suit is made out of Eva foam and craft foam. The Eva is 1/2 thick and very sturdy. My helmet was made using the resin and bondo method.

Well done! But I have to ask, are you going to weather it?

-Ryan

I may weather mine but I would like to see how others did theirs first. Not to sound lazy but I have spent the last month painting the suit and ruining what I already have would really stink, so I shall do some research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back