The Masterchief Is Not 7 Foot Tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadguy

Disregard everything you've previously heard about the Masterchief height according to official Bungie sources..

Check this out..

From Lukems in the current Bungie Update:
"...one world unit is equal to 10 feet, the variation on that bullet is 0.047 world units, or roughly half of a foot. Considering that the Spartan model is 0.75 world units (the Chief is 7 and a half feet tall)...... The Chief’s helmet is approximately 0.094 world units wide..."

Check it yourself if you don't beleive me.. it's right near the end of the battle rifle bullet spread discussion (in the "Math Class" section)
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?ty...s&cid=14347

My jaw hit the floor... This is pretty damn significant, and explains quite a few scaling issues I've experienced. .75 units (and 1 unit is 120 inches..) that means he's 90 inches tall! That's 7 foot 6 inches tall...

(The helmet is APPROX .094 wide.. that would be approx 11.28 inches.. or 11-1/4" inches wide.)

It would seem that he's referring to the actual model size too.. SUGGESTING (in my opinion) that the masterchief is always seen hunched over (he only straightens up when he's dead), the MODEL, hunched and all, is 7 foot 6 inches tall... potentially putting him at closer to 8 foot when totally straightened out. I know that directly conflicts with data from the novels and manuals, but if that's what's actually in the game, that's costuming canon as far as I'm concerned.

It certainly explains why a 6" diameter Plasma Grenade is dwarfed in his hands to looking a bit like a Softball which is only 4 inches in diameter.

Hmm.. it's also the known height for the Elites too, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Deadguy said:
Disregard everything you've previously heard about the Masterchief height according to official Bungie sources..

Check this out..

From Lukems in the current Bungie Update:
Check it yourself if you don't beleive me.. it's right near the end of the battle rifle bullet spread discussion (in the "Math Class" section)
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?ty...s&cid=14347

My jaw hit the floor... This is pretty damn significant, and explains quite a few scaling issues I've experienced.

It would seem that he's referring to the actual model size too.. SUGGESTING (in my opinion) that even though the masterchief is always seen hunched over (he only straightens up when he's dead), the MODEL, hunched and all, is 7.5 feet tall... potentially putting him even closer to being 8 foot tall went totally straightened out, unless that's the measurement he was referring to. I know that directly conflicts with data from the novels and manuals, but if that's what's actually in the game, that's costuming canon as far as I'm concerned.

It certainly explains why a 6" diameter Plasma Grenade is dwarfed in his hands to looking a bit like a Baseball.

Hmm.. it's also the known height for the Elites too, isn't it?

Well, here's my crappy version of a quote,

But...didn't in one of the books, didn't it have a sentence or two where they talked about the genetic makeup of the Chief and the Spartans changing and their bodies "enlarging to fit" their armor?

Or was that after they "injected them" with the steroid like stuff? (They being Doc. Halsey and the labrats?)

If I remember...when John was a kid, wasn't he the biggest of all the kids? And thus, the one that Halsey "had her eye on"? In the sense of...she must have seen that natural leadership within John? I suppose, but I digress, I believe that John wasn't normally "spartan sized".

I think the genetic makeup and DNA structure was changed so that they could modify John to fill out his armor.....and he needed the muscular frame and structure to physically lift and wear the armor, it wasn't simple and all the spartans had difficulty fully mastering the usage of their armor, but as far as I remember, there were also those spartans whose genetic makeup and DNA rejected the injections given and thus they were disabled or physically unable to stay in the Spartan program.

"Don't quote me on that..."
- Fitz

Not a very accurate source, but if you compare the Halo 1 Spartan figures to the Halo 2 figures, the latter stands taller. I'm not sure what this signifies, but it does add a little.

Friendly said:
Not a very accurate source, but if you compare the Halo 1 Spartan figures to the Halo 2 figures, the latter stands taller. I'm not sure what this signifies, but it does add a little.

I'd call the source accurate considering that at the end of the article he "sourced" the folks that would certainly know the facts on that. He probably quoted them on those units.. it certainly doesn't sound like something he'd arbitrarily make up.

That is definitely interesting. It may be that Bungie scaled the Master Chief up for stylistic reasons; ie. making him seem more impressive, more intimidating, more larger than life.

Captain Swoop said:
You have to go with the game, the Books and such are secondary sources.

This is true BUT, if they have been approved by Bungie/M$, then they can be considered canon. The same debate has raged in the Star Wars/Star Trek universes for ages. Some think only what is on film/tv is canon while others think that anything in print (that has been approved) is canon also. For us in the costuming community, "canon" doesn't have to only be the game. What about SKG and team making the pep from the short films? Is that canon? Some say yes/some say no. I personally feel that this information might make pep scaling more "standard" and help all of us.

Let's not get into the canon/non canon discussion. It falls into the same category as religion/politics/abortion/opinions. It leads nowhere and generates hostility/bad feelings toward others.

personally I don't know what to believe. but if it means that the scaling is now right then maybe, just maybe, Deadguy is right.
Anyway, its interesting!

Aside from being maybe a neat factoid, does it really even matter? IF someone actually dweebs out and and "OMG U scaled MC"S Armor wrong u noob, har har he's 8 feet tall". I'd tell em as usual, to immediately seek out the opposite sex and some sunshine.

Skullcandy Girl said:
Aside from being maybe a neat factoid, does it really even matter? IF someone actually dweebs out and and "OMG U scaled MC"S Armor wrong u noob, har har he's 8 feet tall". I'd tell em as usual, to immediately seek out the opposite sex and some sunshine.
roflmao... omg that's funny... ^.^
I'm dying over here... lololololololololololololololololololololololol

after going to some conventions all the masterchiefs/ spartans i have seen have been right around 6 foot.. if you want to get real life with it.. i am the largest spartan i have seen at conventions.. with my extensions in i am 6'10..

on other words i have read in several different places that he is 7' tall.. and usually i go with the majority on fictitious facts like that..

Yup i noticed that as well and went to Halowiki to find out what they had...6ft 10in lol.

but on a scaling purpose itll really help us out now.

but just poking holes through it he was talking about the character model, it doesnt mean its directly related to the books, but you never know

Skullcandy Girl said:

LOL!

It matters because it's been the standard by which fans have scaled most of the entire haloverse. A lot of the current "known" dimensions come from comparing the models to a 7 foot person, which was fine for halo 1 because he WAS 7.04 feet tall (which is 7foot and one half inch).

He's grown almost 6 inches since his battle with the covenant began.. I guess that crash to Earth must have separated his spine a bit and it healed up funny... boy, that biofoam is some AMAZING stuff, lol

As for canon/non-canon, the discussions aren't meant to rile-up folks, it's merely identifying which existing numbers folks should shoot for if they're going for that "insane" accuracy. As our knowledge increases, so should our accuracy. If we desire to be accurate... The suit being made in a years time SHOULD be more accurate than the ones being worked-on today. You shouldn't let that bother you because yours is fine too, and the result of the information availible at the time.
You, and future costume makers strive for form versus function versus the reality as defined by you. That makes for a LARGE ballpark to shoot at, but by nailling numbers down, the "aim" narrows, and more accuracy can emerge.

Since Halo is, by definition, a game that was written about in novels, the game is canon. If it were a book that became a game, the novels would be canon. If noone can argue the point, there is no argument. Bungie may have THOUGHT they were making a 7 foot guy in their game, and may have directed writers to use that number, but apparently they were inaccurate.

That doesn't make a 7 foot spartan-based item non-canon, because the dimensions SHOULD be a range, not a drop dead number. If it LOOKS like the game, it's good enough, but if we nail the numbers, it's gonna' look more like the game because it's the same thing folks see's when they play the game.

worfisfrustratedrh3.gif

.......Like Deadguy mentioned, let's not argue the point.

It's a cool piece of info, and one worth noting if your trying to create that ACCURATE Master Chief look, but if you aren't...ignore the info and don't argue the point.

It's kinda like this...

arguingOnTheInternet.jpg

Ask yourself....do you really want to be that person?

darkesword2020 said:
worfisfrustratedrh3.gif

.......Like Deadguy mentioned, let's not argue the point.

It's a cool piece of info, and one worth noting if your trying to create that ACCURATE Master Chief look, but if you aren't...ignore the info and don't argue the point.

It's kinda like this...

arguingOnTheInternet.jpg

Ask yourself....do you really want to be that person?
yeah no arguing its just a couple inches its not going to kill anyone, or well i hope not :D

lol
for the record though.. I wasn't suggesting the size makes that much difference in terms of the finished spartan costume. I could suddenly visualize stilts and fake shoulders and faces peering through breastplate screens and stuff lol..

It only matters if you're doing the math for your proportions or in changing the game sizes to 'real" sizes for your props.

To me, the visual proportions are what count, and that's kinda' what I look for, but I prefer to use the math to get me started, to see where the differences are between proportionate to me, and proportionate to a Spartan soldier that's my height, so I can see where adjustments need to happen to make the armor, and it's gaps, look right. There's currently no suit in the works for me, but I certainly toy with scaling the armor quite a bit.. trying to find just the right visual appearance.

I've kinda concluded that without walking in a perpetual hunched over monkey-looking caveman crouch, no one's gonna' come off with what apears to be a perfect suit... as soon as the masterchief straightens up, he already looks "wrong" and that's in-game. .. ohh, and your dimensions from bellybutton to back needs to be like 3 inches or something, though you still need a "normal" width.. And while you're at it.. go ahead and shave off your kneecaps because the chief doen't have any.
lol

anyways.. just reporting the facts and throwing in my 2 cents.

Go with preliminary facts!!! John's genetic WT and HT is indeed not 7 feet tall he's actually around a mid 6 footer and a WT of 280-290 genetically speaking, without body armor as far as the books say, my hubby's weighs in at built 267 lbs 6'3 frame! With armor on he is 6'5 i would say that average for any spartan armor prop height! But everyone cant be lucky enough to be a 7 footer!!

I have a picture of the wax statue of MC at Madam Tussaud's if you'd like to see it for height reference....

The guy standing next to the Chief is about 5'6"-5'7"

jmcr24012.jpg

*joins Adam in the ear plugging* x_x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back