The return (again) of nerdtron99! also, theres an unfold portfolio and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdtron99

Hello once again my friends! so i know i haven't posted recently, but that's because life has had me kinda busy. but im slowly getting back into armor building again, but first i wanted to freshen up my unfolding and pepping skills. and what better way than to practice with the newly released files the wonderful Arcanine has shared with us. here is a list of my successfully unfolded items.

http://www.4shared.com/file/6dLk1HSwce/G2_Recon_helmet_unfold.html h4 recon helm

Ok so i finished the raw unfold lastnight. lets just say... it sucks. im going to do my best to fix it but i might have to completely redo it. if any seasoned unfolders wanna take a look at it email me at matthewgoeggel@yahoo.com and ill send you what i have. im extremely sorry if i have disappointed some people XD

ok so i fixed things up pretty good, but there are some kinda odd pieces like the ones shown here:
trackerproblem_zpsa6da1381.jpg
if anyone could tell me how to fix this or be generous enough to fix it for me that would be awesome.

Attachments

• trackerproblem_zpsa6da1381.jpg
    trackerproblem_zpsa6da1381.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 251
Unfolding the raw model can be pretty difficult. They contain all sorts of floating faces for in-game services, like the lights on the suit, various paint marks and decals, etc. It would be optimal to edit the model in a CAD program to rid the model of unwanted faces before unfolding. I'll help you out with the troublesome areas though if you want to send me a link to the file, or PM for email.

a little spare-time-project never hurts.... (see top of page)
h4recon_zpsc41b0618.jpg

Attachments

• h4recon_zpsc41b0618.jpg
    h4recon_zpsc41b0618.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 237
That Recon helm isn't bad at all, although I think it would benefit from having those floating faces removed and the visor being welded to the rest of the mesh. I'd also consider widening the neck seal and perhaps adding a few more details into the mesh to make detailing it later on a little more easy.

If you'd like, I can do that for you and have the edited file sent your way to work on. I can even make it so that the returned file retains most of the unfold data for your convenience.

Thank you for the compliment, and i think i would like that as long as most of the unfold data is retained like you said. Also, do you by any chance have a cleaned up h4 eva helm? i was thinking of doing that but too many floating faces and open edges.

Thank you for the compliment, and i think i would like that as long as most of the unfold data is retained like you said. Also, do you by any chance have a cleaned up h4 eva helm? i was thinking of doing that but too many floating faces and open edges.

Sure can, I'll have them to you soon. I can put together a tutorial on how to retain the unfold data quite easily.

EDIT: I've welded the visor to the helmet, but unfortunately the detailing will be a little harder to accurately pull off, since unfolding the design changes the UV unwrap (which the model requires for texturing). If you want the helmet file to feature a texture I'll have to start from scratch and re-unfold the pattern for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back