The Seriously Ultimate Assault Rifle Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
tomvdog said:
#2 my guess is a clip release unless thats somewhere else. and it seams like its in the right position.

That was a thought of mine. I'll have to have a close look at the reloading animation when we record the sounds on the weekend.

Hopefully that will reveal something.

thatdecade said:
@XxCALIBERxX The rate of fire wouldn't be a problem, increased fire rate would just need more strengthening between the solenoid and plate. The speed of the strike, plate material, and the size of the plate are much more important to the pitch of the sound created.

Using a speaker for crazy loud sound effects isn't all that hard either. You don't even need a super sized speaker, just a good resonation chamber to amplify the sound.

My solenoids have a little rubber ring around the center plunger to cushion it when it is pulled in. I could probably remove that to produce a sound. I'll probably need to add a separate striker though (as you said about the size) to make more of a thump than a click though.

The resonant chamber is what I was thinking with using the ammo magazine. It would make a nice box to house the speaker(s) in.

It's probably a good idea to try both methods together to produce as much noise as possible too.

Last edited by a moderator:
TERRA Operative said:
That was a thought of mine. I'll have to have a close look at the reloading animation when we record the sounds on the weekend.

Hopefully that will reveal something.

My solenoids have a little rubber ring around the center plunger to cushion it when it is pulled in. I could probably remove that to produce a sound. I'll probably need to add a separate striker though (as you said about the size) to make more of a thump than a click though.

The resonant chamber is what I was thinking with using the ammo magazine. It would make a nice box to house the speaker(s) in.

It's probably a good idea to try both methods together to produce as much noise as possible too.

Alright I was looking around for stuff like this on the site to get and and idea on how to put a speaker into my Guilty Spark build and what I found was this topic.

Fully Functional ammo counters/Effects modules

So I figured i would show it to you all and suggest what they mention briefly in this topic are solenoids for arcade games. Such as Time Crisis and Point Blank or and other arcade game with a recoil effect on it. I wasn't sure if you were think of it as a possibility or had even seen the the thread. So I help this works and I am watching this topic pretty close because this sounds like the kind of stuff I wanna do. I just need to be educated a little more in a few areas.

That's actually a good idea re. the recoil from Time Crisis etc. I didn't even think of that.... I'll do some research into their mechanism, as that is a proven design.

Thanks for the info. :)

Oh, and once I'm finished, all the hard work will be done, so actual production of the circuitry will be really easy. Hopefully I'll be able to sell the pre-programmed chips and PCB's on this site by then....

#1 appears to be a Rate of Fire selector (semi and fully automatic), #2 IS a safety (based on in-game animations), #3 appears to simply be the marathon logo, The green circles appear to be meant for the flashlight.

Found a picture and a vector of the Namco recoil unit used in Time Crisis etc. Would be awesome to get my hands on one or two of the real things, but I have some solenoids here which I can use to make my own from those pics.

NamcoRecoilUnit.png

NamcoRecoilUnitPic.jpg

This is getting watched... If this turns out amazing I WILL be buying one of these... might have to sell the motorcycle I just bought... kidding but still... tempting :)!

Just been toying around in Rhinoceros 3D and came up with a preliminary design for the recoil solenoid.

It's sized for one of these solenoids, and the frame is made from 3mm x 25mm aluminium strip (the green bit).

The pin (purple) is a Dynabolt with the very end cut off (as it is bigger than the rest of the shaft) and serves as a slide for the weight to move on without falling out.

The weight is made from lead, drilled out to accept the pin and the solenoid plunger. That size lump of lead comes to 275 grams, so it should be a nice mass for the recoil hit.

The weight is attached to the plunger with a pin (probably a spring pin, in grey) that goes through the lot and should hold it together nicely.

The return spring will sit between the solenoid and the weight, wrapped around the plunger. (Between the red bit and the purple bit, wrapped around the yellow bit).

It will be a simple compression spring, which I'll have to have a look for soon.

I'll probably cast the lead weight out of lead flashing or fishing weights etc. I'll make a small mold from aluminium foil and then drill the holes out once it's all cooled down.

(each minor grid division in the pictures is 1mm, each major grid division is 10mm, for size reference)

RecoilSolenoidGhosted.png

RecoilSolenoidShaded.png

Got a box of goodies today. Stuff for the rifle and for the rest of the armor.

I discovered the sound recorder I wanted to use won't be suitable. According to the data sheet, it inserts about a second delay between each sound playback and sound loop. I'll test it out, but it's probably useless to me at this point.

Back to the drawing board with that one.

BoxOfParts.jpg

Well that's just dumb.  I am surprised a message recorder like that has a datasheet at all.  Edit: Oh I see, it's a kit.  Neat!

Oh well, plan B?

Plan B is to use a different chip :) . I'll get more data sheets and see what they say. I have another chip in mind that with the aid of a programmer will allow me to directly download the sound files via USB from my computer. Just gotta see how hard the programmer is to build (or how much it costs).

Here's the kit I built (I got it cheaper through work's account) http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5454

I upped the sample rate and lowered the record time for better quality too. The chip is a HK828 if you're interested.

I emailed the manufacturers about the VMusic2 to see what the repeat rate on the sound files is like, all they could tell me was it's limited by the read speed of the FAT file system on the USB stick (a function of how fast the silicon is on the stick) and the size of the file etc. I'm doubtful it can repeat play a sound 10 times a second (not sure I want to drop AU$50 to find out), hence the use of a chip recorder.

I've built the 1W amplifier modules (one for each rifle) and one sound module. I also started stuffing around with the VOX circuits and UHF 2-way radios for integration into the armor, but that's for another thread...

Updates to come on the sound recorder chip.

Strobe PCB should be here early next week hopefully, so I'll be able to test that out too.

I'll give you that. The VMUSIC2 is expensive and I think it can top out around 2 plays per second. The real problem is the lag waiting for the file system. Pulling the trigger and there is a brief moment before the audio clip plays, nobody would notice except for the guy pulling the trigger.

This is goona be epic. BTW are you going to use Pepkaura or Plastic for your AR. Noob question: How do you get the trigger to actually press in, and get the guts in the Ar. Do you have to have your AR hollow. lol i hate asking Noobish questions.

You should sell AR kits when you're done with your current one. :)

TheSpartanMjolnir said:
This is goona be epic. BTW are you going to use Pepkaura or Plastic for your AR. Noob question: How do you get the trigger to actually press in, and get the guts in the Ar. Do you have to have your AR hollow. lol i hate asking Noobish questions.

You should sell AR kits when you're done with your current one. :)

I think they shouldn't cross the bridge of worring about the housing just yet.

Either way, if you guys do make a kit, you could make a BOATLOAD of money. Seriously. Probobly enough to get you through college.

The prototype rifles will be peps, so they are hollow. We'll be producing a full size pep starting this weekend to test fitment and work out exactly how we are going to make them from the raw materials. The full blown ones I make (2 of) will be made of MDF, aluminium, fiber glass/pep and bits and pieces so they are as physically accurate as possible.

They'll probably end up more 'real world' accurate than the game, my dad used to build guns from scratch as a hobby, so I have a few ideas to bring these things out of the game and into the 'real world'.

The trigger will be a separate piece that is hinged like a real trigger. It'll have a microswitch behind to activate the electronics.

I'm planning on releasing all the info free for those who wish to make their own from scratch, but I'll most probably offer pre-built kits etc for sale to those who want them. I've designed the system to be modular, so you can have as much or as little complexity as you like.

I'm a working man now, so all proceeds will probably go into my armor :) (wait 'till you see what's in store for that!!).

Depending on how hard the final guns are to make, I may make a few extras (It'll probably work out cheaper over all to do it like that, economies of scale etc), but they definitely won't be cheap, simply due to the sheer amount of hardware in them and the time required to make them.

If people buy just the electronics, they can make the actual gun as detailed or as simple as they like, depending on their budget.

As for now, I'm just hunting down a few sound chips. I have a few I'm looking at at the moment, what I use will come down to availability.

The following are what I'm looking at:

ISD14B00

ISD2100

ISD2560

and

aP89010

Although for that last one I need a programmer too (it's a single write chip, unlike the others which have a mic attached for multiple writes). However, if I can program sound chips and sell them in the kits, I could make the cost back....???

I'll send some emails and see what the programmer is worth.

FYI, nuvoton discontinued a lot of their old chip lines. ISD14B00 is a die, the common package is the ISD1900. There are still a few of these floating around for purchase... ISD1916 / ISD1932 / ISD1964.

Ok, I got some good prices on the aP8921A/aP8910A chips with a programmer, but I have to buy 100 chips minimum so I'll hopefully be selling these pre-programmed (they're single programmable chips) with sounds for various weapons if I gain access to the for sale forums. (any suggestions? I'll be recording the sounds this weekend probably)

I'll sell them with a turn-key circuit board so they are all ready to use out of the box. Hopefully I can make some money back to fund my further pursuits. :)

Here's a link to the data sheet:

http://www.aplusinc.com.tw/data/ap8921a_10a-spec-ver3_0.pdf

I'll run the chip as per fig.5, level holdable, that way I can play the single shot on one input and also hold down another of the inputs to get the automatic fire to repeat as long as needed.

I think you gain access to the classified section after 50 posts. Great idea for the sound chips, make it easy and cheap enough and you will sell a few dozen no problem.

Metalfr3q and I built a MA5C this weekend. Photos are dark as they were taken at 4.30 in the freaking morning. We didn't stop.......

It came out a bit big due to a miscalculation on scaling.... It seems sized for a Spartan, rather than a 180cm-something normal pleb. :lol

We'll be fixing the scale and rebuilding the rifle. However, it looks like there will be more than enough room to fit any electronics I need inside.

We also recorded the sounds of all the weapon fire (every weapon in Halo 3), so after I clean them up in Adobe Sound Forge or Encore, they'll be able to be used for sound effects.

finishedassaultrifle.jpg

jassaultrifle.jpg

massaultrifle.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back