The Seriously Ultimate Assault Rifle Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I've just found this site recently and am diving head first into a build with a friend, Metalfr3q.

I, being the electrician by trade, and having access through work to a plethora of microprocessors and general electronic gear, have been tasked with the job of weapons and armor electronics.

This is the list for the Assault rifle so far:

- Strobe light for muzzle flash - PCB 90% finished

- Microprocessor for electronics control and ammo counter - Schematics 90% finished

- Ammo counter count down from 32, with single shot and full auto modes, operating as per the game

- 12V Sealed Lead Acid battery in hand grip for power

- On/Off button in correct location on weapon

- Solenoid (or two pending room inside gun) with weight to simulate recoil

- Reload to be accomplished by removing and reinserting ammo cartridge

- Voice recorder to produce firing sound of the rifle

- Functional LED torch (1W Luxeon or similar)

Technical description ahoy...

I am almost finished drawing up the PCB for the strobe circuit. This will be triggered by the microprocessor so the strobe flashes will be synchronised with the gun firing, the strobe will be capable of flashing up to 20Hz or so, but it will be limited by the firing rate of the rifle. The strobe circuit will be isolated from the rest of the system through the use of a opto-triac, just to be safe. I'll also be adding a bleed resistor to the discharge capacitor so no lingering charge will remain for any period of time.

There will also be a sound/voice recorder that will playback the sound of the gun firing, triggered from the same output as used for the strobe.

The solenoid will be triggered from the same output, but via a darlington pair of transistors, so no relays will be present to click or wear out.

It will have a weight with a spring and a rubber buffer to prevent noise, and the weight will be sized to obtain the maximum effect that the solenoid can produce.

The magazine will have neodymium magnets in the top, so that it 'clicks' into place in the gun against a steel plate in the magazine slide. There will be a reed switch (more reliable than a mechanical switch) that will act to reset the gun when it detects the presence of the magnets (leading edge detection on the switching)

I'll also program the microcontroller to reset the counter to '0' whenever the magazine is removed, regardless of how much ammo is left.

(Should I leave 'one in the chamber' if the magazine is removed with live ammo still in the magazine, as per a real magazine fed weapon???)

I'm also wondering if I should try to put the batteries into the magazine so that the batteries will be replaced every time the magazine is replaced. This will allow for longer run time in total (only limited to the number of magazines you carry), but will necessitate the carrying of extra magazines due to the probably less runtime per magazine compared to the larger SLA battery in the rifle. This extra luggage probably won't be too con friendly. Also the cost for the Ni-Cad or Ni-MH batteries will be more than the single SLA. What do you guys think??

There will also be a discreet recharge port somewhere on the gun, so the internal SLA battery doesn't need to be removed to be recharged. Once the gun is assembled, it won't need to come apart again.

Oh, and I'll be endeavoring to maintain proper weight balance so the rifle is easy to handle. Does anyone know the actual weight of the assault rifle, so I can keep it as close to the real thing as possible?

Also, how is the torch actually turned on? I'll probably use a 'twist the head to turn on' torch, but if there is a button on the rifle for it, I'll wire that in instead. This will be powered from it's own batteries so it doesn't deplete the main batteries.

Let me know what you guys think. Any extra ideas or suggestions? Also, what is the firing rate for the assault rifle in full auto?

Oh, I'll also be posting up all the diagrams and schematics etc as I go, so everyone else who is competent with electronics can have an assault rifle that is fully functional, except for the actual bullets... :D

This sounds sick! I've always wondered how I could make a recoil system, but I decided to go with a rumble instead. I'll be watching this project for sure!

That sound's like a really good project!

But also sounds like it might take a bit of electrician skills :)

TERRA Operative said:
Oh, and I'll be endeavoring to maintain proper weight balance so the rifle is easy to handle. Does anyone know the actual weight of the assault rifle, so I can keep it as close to the real thing as possible?

Also, what is the firing rate for the assault rifle in full auto?

Here's the MA5C page on the Halo wiki:

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/MA5C

And pertinent information:

Weight:

* (empty): 3.8 kilograms (8.378 pounds)

* (loaded): 4.1 kilograms (9.05 pounds)

Rate of Fire:

600 Rounds per minute, 10 rounds per second.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunately TERRA and i are both electricians ( him being specially knowledgeable in, well... anything that uses electricity. seriously. ANYTHING) so this should be a fun build to work on without too much hassle, i hope :rolleyes

Thanks for the support, and thanks Ruse789 for the info and link. :D

I'll be doing all the hard yards now, so you guys just have to make the circuit boards (easy as after making armor) and go shopping with the parts list then put it all together.

Hmm, just reading that wiki, it seems the rifle needs to be cocked after reloading. I can incorporate that too. I don't think I'll make it move during use though, having that lever shooting back and forth 60 times a second near your face could cause problems, both for longevity and safety.

I'm just finishing the strobe circuit board now, and it should be getting sent off to be made today. Hopefully it'll be back within a week or two.

Good read. Thanks

You can have a battery in the magazine, but don't use it to replace the internal battery. Use it as a supplement / extension. Either that or super caps to keep the ucontroller powered.

The one in the chamber idea is good. If anyone complains that it is not game accurate just claim artistic license ;)

I think you're right with the batteries, a single SLA is cheaper and easier than having to carry around plenty of extra mags.

Realisticly, you won't need to have the gun running more than a few hours at a time, and if you powered the ammo counter from the magazine, the power would cut out when changing. (Of course I'm no electrician, just a simple phsyics student)

I'll probably go with the internal battery for now, due to simplicity, but what thatdecade said re. the supercap is something I was thinking of myself too.

However, if the testing reveals that the SLA battery will power the rifle for a few hours of reasonable use, then I'll probably stick with that unless there's sufficient demand for the batteries in the magazines.

The one in the chamber is real world accurate for bolt action autos and semi-automatic firearms, so I'll use that as my excuse. :)

I assumed that button was the main on/off button for the gun. If that's for the torch, where is the main on/off button?

Here's some development so far. It's the Strobe PCB layout and the schematics so far for the microprocessor module and display.

You will notice a few switches and a resistor network to the left of the schematic. This is a little trick using voltage dividers on an analogue input to double up the switches on one input. It just allows me to use a smaller, cheaper PIC microprocessor. If I went to the next size up, I would end up with left over inputs and it'll just cost more for no real reason.

Oh, these are preliminary prototypes. DON'T MAKE THESE YET!- I can't guarantee they work. :)

Oh, and unless you are VERY well versed in electronics and mains voltages, I would STRONGLY (really, really) advise against making the strobe. It generates around 330V to fire the strobe so great care has to be taken to ensure it is all made safe. It's fine in the right hands, but best not to take chances....

I will produce a circuit that uses high intensity LED's for those who want to stay safe and don't want to play with the strobe.

[UPDATE]

Just got a few bits, the SLA battery and a 12V solenoid. I'm going to test weights and spring rates to determine the maximum pulse rate and recoil effect. I might end up needing two solenoids, to pulse in turn, but I'll see how I go.

StrobePCBV1.png

AmmoCounter.png

Solenoid.jpg

SLABattery.jpg

Multiplexed display?

I don't think there is an on/off switch. Maybe you can incorporate a tilt switch or accelerometer input. Will come instantly on when upright, then turn off if laid on it's side for 1 min.

Edit: Tilt switch would work quite well, mount at an angle so it is not triggering all the time. Only down side I see is the soft power down will only work from being laid on one side but not the other.

I am thinking the tilt switch position could checked by a 1 second timer interrupt. Each second the tilt position would be checked and if found in the laid down position adds to the count, 60 counts = standby low power mode. If the tilt switch is found in the upright position the count is reset.

Yep, multiplexed display. Saves outputs and makes things cheaper. Only drawback is photos of the screen may come out a bit funny due to the refresh rate, but ease of PCB design and cheaper parts outweighs that. :)

I have noticed that most pictures have the button on both sides of the gun. Maybe I'll make one side for the light, the other side for the main power. What do you guys think?

I've also found most of the bits and pieces so far (switches, plugs, sockets etc etc) Finding a correctly sized green illuminated on/off button for the light/power was a pain, but I've found something I can use. I've got a little trick up my sleeve to get it looking authentic too.

Dude, your energy sword is awesome! I was thinking of tackling that next, I might follow in your footsteps somewhat if you don't mind. :)

Also, that VMUSIC2 MP3 player sounds like a good idea for the assault rifle. I'll have to see how to hook it up to my PIC micro... I might have to play with the idea of upgrading to a larger chip...

Do you mind divulging some of the info regarding this module? Any problems or pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks for the compliment~!

What is the cost difference between a small chip and a big chip, like $2? idk, I am not a PIC guy...

I assembled an ammo counter circuit and wrote a test program for using the VMUSIC2 on an AR, but never got around to testing it. I have been busy playing with chipcorders. However, I do have a tutorial I wrote a while back and never published on flashing FW to the VMUSIC2. The only other hard part is finding documentation for the command set.

http://www.vinculum.com/documents.html

Visit this site and get the Vinculum Firmware User Manual. Section 6.8 VMUSIC Commands is on page 53.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back