The Unspeakable, I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lordmonocrona

Hi! My name is Sam, I am brand new here. I am new to the whole Halo armor thing, but have been collecting physical Halo stuff for a couple years now and figure it's time to get on board. After a lot of heavy study in this forum; I am convinced that my family curse where home projects become a disaster would definitely come into play here. I might be able to make a shoulder piece or something, but anything else just is out of my skill set. So I am asking the awful, terrible no good question, is there anyone who would take a commission? I don't need an expensive suit, the cheaper kind is fine, since I will only be wearing it to cons and hanging it up for display at my house. Willing to put a fair amount towards it, since I know it is very expensive and time consuming (another reason why I cannot do it myself, I am in the process of moving very soon) just let me know what your best rates are and if anyone is willing to help me out!

There's nothing wrong with getting armor commissioned and anyone who looks down on it needs to check themselves. I'm pretty sure an Admin/Moderator/whatever they call themselves here will tell you to look in the marketplace and speak with someone there. They don't normally like posts like this in the New Recruits.

That being said, look at the commissioners work, compare their rates, and their speed of work. Be a savvy shopper.

I don't know about your budget, but average price for an an armor is around 800-1500$ or even more.

If you want something cheaper, I highly recommend Disguise Prestige Master Chief costume which you can buy for even around 300$ (or around 500$ without any deals or discounts) if you find a good deal and it's a very nice costume.
Best for that price you can get.

- - - Updated - - -

There's nothing wrong with getting armor commissioned and anyone who looks down on it needs to check themselves. I'm pretty sure an Admin/Moderator/whatever they call themselves here will tell you to look in the marketplace and speak with someone there. They don't normally like posts like this in the New Recruits.

That being said, look at the commissioners work, compare their rates, and their speed of work. Be a savvy shopper.

It isn't the Admins. The RULES state selling/buying/trading is in Marketplace only.

And the Admins enforce the rules and sometimes make them. They don't always enforce them either. I'm not sure why you're being so confrontational about stuff lately..

Back on topic...

I don't know about your budget, but average price for an an armor is around 800-1500$ or even more.

If you want something cheaper, I highly recommend Disguise Prestige Master Chief costume which you can buy for even around 300$ (or around 500$ without any deals or discounts) if you find a good deal and it's a very nice costume.
Best for that price you can get.

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't the Admins. The RULES state selling/buying/trading is in Marketplace only.

Shoot, my price was just shy of that, didn't want to go too far over $600, maybe I'll check that one out (although the scout armor is what I was looking at)

Shoot, my price was just shy of that, didn't want to go too far over $600, maybe I'll check that one out (although the scout armor is what I was looking at)

Just giving you a possible price of what most people charge, that lowest is mostly for already finished costume (and mostly worn).
Sadly, with 600$ budget you will have a very hard time finding anyone to make a costume from scratch for you.

But, here is a link to that Disguise Master Chief Prestige costume if you want to consider it. Today I've seen someone already got the costume an posted photos of themselves wearing it an it looked awesome - http://www.halloweencostumes.com/master-chief-ultra-prestige-adult-costume.html

There is something wrong with it Lt. This is not a buying/selling site, nor would I for one want it to be. Yes, commissions are fine, and they should be handled behind closed doors. Yes, transactions are fine, but final exchange needs to happen someplace else. If not then the site's content gets tainted, weakened. This site is about building, not selling. I wouldn't be here if it was the other way around. Not to mention the legality of it. There are rules for a reason. Without them the dynamic of this site could change month to month and not always be the happy helpful place that it is. I commend anyone who is willing to check the rules and remind others of their existence and purpose. Otherwise we risk becoming as seedy as the rest of the internet. And just because you don't get slapped on the wrist everytime that you do something wrong doesn't make what you are doing right. (Not that you're doing anything wrong Lt.)

Oh and Lordmonocrona nobody is upset at you for asking. People ask all the time. My best advise, if this is something you want to pursue, is to look through builds and then private message people who you think have a skill level that you could afford. Most full suits sell between 600 and 1,500.

There is something wrong with it Lt. This is not a buying/selling site, nor would I for one want it to be. Yes, commissions are fine, and they should be handled behind closed doors. Yes, transactions are fine, but final exchange needs to happen someplace else. If not then the site's content gets tainted, weakened. This site is about building, not selling. I wouldn't be here if it was the other way around. Not to mention the legality of it. There are rules for a reason. Without them the dynamic of this site could change month to month and not always be the happy helpful place that it is. I commend anyone who is willing to check the rules and remind others of their existence and purpose. Otherwise we risk becoming as seedy as the rest of the internet. And just because you don't get slapped on the wrist everytime that you do something wrong doesn't make what you are doing right. (Not that you're doing anything wrong Lt.)

Well said, Duke.

Ease up there a little, Spartan. Yes, we encourage our users to build rather than buy, but in some cases people simply don't have the time, means or skills to create their own sets. In these very rare cases, it's not a huge detriment to the community to have members who are customers as opposed to builders - after all, there are a great many Sean Bradley ODST kits being worn. Buying or commissioning a kit isn't a thing to be shunned or shamed - we're here to encourage all of our members to participate in whatever level they're able to. I agree that the main transaction between customer and client should happen off-site, or certainly at least privately on-site, but we mustn't discourage people simply for wishing to buy a kit rather than create one of their own.

As far as the 'legality' of the transaction is concerned, I'm fairly certain that if buying and selling costume pieces were against some form of ToS, a great many members would have faced legal action by now.

Ease up there a little, Spartan. Yes, we encourage our users to build rather than buy, but in some cases people simply don't have the time, means or skills to create their own sets. In these very rare cases, it's not a huge detriment to the community to have members who are customers as opposed to builders - after all, there are a great many Sean Bradley ODST kits being worn. Buying or commissioning a kit isn't a thing to be shunned or shamed - we're here to encourage all of our members to participate in whatever level they're able to. I agree that the main transaction between customer and client should happen off-site, or certainly at least privately on-site, but we mustn't discourage people simply for wishing to buy a kit rather than create one of their own.

As far as the 'legality' of the transaction is concerned, I'm fairly certain that if buying and selling costume pieces were against some form of ToS, a great many members would have faced legal action by now.

I'm not saying anything against buying costumes. You may note that I comment on build kit threads just the same as scratch build threads. I'm against using this site to buy costumes. Do you, as the 405th, sell Sean Bradley kits?

The legality is if a buyer or seller has some issue and they come after the site as the facilitator.

I'm not saying anything against buying costumes. I'm against using this site to buy costumes. Do you, as the 405th, sell Sean Bradley kits?

One collector's junk could be another collector's treasure! Swap items from your personal collection with other members here.
Exchanges between members are private transactions and not managed by the site.

Should make things pretty straight-forward. Selling items on the 405th is allowed, but we as the 405th don't manage or mediate these transactions - any buying/selling is done between customer and client only.

That's why selling/buying is to be done in Marketplace only... or outside 405th. Etsy, etc.

Should make things pretty straight-forward. Selling items on the 405th is allowed, but we as the 405th don't manage or mediate these transactions - any buying/selling is done between customer and client only.

Yes, a buyer and a seller who are using this site to do it. If it is encouraged you will have hundreds of members with under 10 posts who have received their costumes never to be heard from again? No thank you.

So far all you've said is what I've said in a different way. I am still note in the clear. What is the ruling the next time someone asks for the community to build them a costume? What should we as the community do in response?

That's why selling/buying is to be done in Marketplace only... or outside 405th. Etsy, etc.
Exactly and that's what we've done. We've directed them to the Marketplace or outside of 405th. I don't understand where this "shunning" feeling is coming from. If anything I was upset at a member encouraging a new recruit that breaking the rules is okay because you don't always get caught. And it is nothing against Shiny either. No hard feelings here.

Yes, a buyer and a seller who are using this site to do it. If it is encouraged you will have hundreds of members with under 10 posts who have received their costumes never to be heard from again? No thank you.

So far all you've said is what I've said in a different way. I am still note in the clear. What is the ruling the next time someone asks for the community to build them a costume? What should we as the community do in response?

Let it through without bringing attention and drama to the subject. If you personally don't agree with the idea of people buying costumes as a commissioned piece, then that's absolutely fine - we all have our opinions on the subject. However, no rules here are being broken - members are absolutely free to request a client to construct a costume for them. Whether or not there's a client out there willing to actually do the work for them is another matter, and the reason we don't see a lot of 'build XYZ for me' threads is because, generally, they die pretty quickly due to lack of interest and input from the community to actually take on the project. Generally speaking these types of threads don't survive long after the cons and downsides to asking for a build costume are presented.

This type of thing has never been an issue before, and I doubt it will be in the future.

I don't have anything against people asking or doing commissions! Man, can I guy catch a break?

I could have sworn that somewhere in my orientation I was told that asking for others to build a costume for you was discouraged, but I cannot find any reference to this now. If I have offended anyone I am truly sorry. All I can say is that I was trying to point someone in the right direction, but I was misinformed where that destination was. I am also in the middle of moving and it seems I should not be online as my stress level is a little too high at the moment. Thank you Chernobyl for taking the time to correct me. In the future I will take your advice and ignore build request threads.

Man, can I guy catch a break?

No breaks for you! Lol.. seriously tho, I think we've all had a good time kicking this horse to death and then some. I don't think anyone has an hurt feelings bit I think we can go ahead say it's done for discussion.

OP, good luck in your search. At least you have better expectations than the last guy I saw, wanting a full MJOLNIR suit for around 200.. :rollseyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back