What sparked your interest in this hobby? I've got to know!

About 25 years ago, my brother got me into the Yamaha paper craft motorcycles, and around 2008 I was looking for a project to pass some time and stumbled across the 405th. I've since gotten too busy, but after going to my first con, I decided to look back into it.
I definitely understand getting too busy. Happens to me with most of my hobbies, but I still try to cram them in sooner or later. ;)

I made my first one predator which was really ugly and crappy I mean really bad. What helped out was that it was a full costume. Hey at the time I build the predator I did it some foam and cardboard. With no templates just by watching and video on youtube. My second one was a alien that one was a bit better still not the greatest. last year was mandolorian and that one I did the best. Took a lot but nail it that was my favorite. Now I am going to try Halo. And really looking forward to get it right, I am doing a bit of air brushing so I can do the little datils you and do with spray cans nor painting, The only thing that I am trying to figure out is learning how to read the files from 405th is the angles and size to use for the foam builds. Sin john

For my my introduction into this hobby was only very recent (as in less than a year ago). A friend of mine is a cosplay judge for a local convention and so she and I were talking one night about cosplay and I mentioned how I'd kinda like to try it at some point. She made a comment like "Well, I'm the wrong person to talk to if you want to be discouraged". Eventually I reached a point where my life and schedule stabilized some to finally try cosplay.
I started with making the starting armour from Metroid Dread with EVA foam and it was... definitely a learning experience.

As for deciding to go for Halo armour specifically, admittedly I only ever beat Halo 2 (and at a friends place at that). But I loved the music and the world even still. I also watched some of the other media (I know the movies probably aren't super well loved, but I loved that Halo Legends short story anthology. Especially "The Package" and Spartan 1337.) So when it came time to look at my next big project I wanted to make a Halo armour. Specifically one probably not seen super often. Like I'm sure a ton of people make John-117 but I didn't want to do that. Plus I really don't have the physique for that. So I was looking at other Spartans and Kelly-087 caught my eye.

I'd like to get into 3D printing for other stuff (I have a 3D printer but it's been fighting me to get working). But that's not likely to be any time soon so for now I'll probably proceed with EVA foam as my material.

I made my first one predator which was really ugly and crappy I mean really bad. What helped out was that it was a full costume. Hey at the time I build the predator I did it some foam and cardboard. With no templates just by watching and video on youtube. My second one was a alien that one was a bit better still not the greatest. last year was mandolorian and that one I did the best. Took a lot but nail it that was my favorite. Now I am going to try Halo. And really looking forward to get it right, I am doing a bit of air brushing so I can do the little datils you and do with spray cans nor painting, The only thing that I am trying to figure out is learning how to read the files from 405th is the angles and size to use for the foam builds. Sin john
That's awesome! I have to imagine that making an Alien would be pretty tough, with all the crazy details those things have. I'm trying to get the hand of airbrushing, but I need just a bit more practice before I go and use it on any armor.

For my my introduction into this hobby was only very recent (as in less than a year ago). A friend of mine is a cosplay judge for a local convention and so she and I were talking one night about cosplay and I mentioned how I'd kinda like to try it at some point. She made a comment like "Well, I'm the wrong person to talk to if you want to be discouraged". Eventually I reached a point where my life and schedule stabilized some to finally try cosplay.
I started with making the starting armour from Metroid Dread with EVA foam and it was... definitely a learning experience.
That's pretty cool that your friend is a cosplay judge. I'd love to do that but I would probably end up just giving everyone tens or something. Samus' Armor from any of the games would be absolutely amazing. One of my all-time favorites for sure. :cool:
As for deciding to go for Halo armour specifically, admittedly I only ever beat Halo 2 (and at a friends place at that). But I loved the music and the world even still. I also watched some of the other media (I know the movies probably aren't super well loved, but I loved that Halo Legends short story anthology. Especially "The Package" and Spartan 1337.) So when it came time to look at my next big project I wanted to make a Halo armour. Specifically one probably not seen super often. Like I'm sure a ton of people make John-117 but I didn't want to do that. Plus I really don't have the physique for that. So I was looking at other Spartans and Kelly-087 caught my eye.
From what I know, Halo 2 is most people's favorite, so it was definitely a good one to start with. The music in all of the games is just awesome... I listen to it when doing work around the house and whatnot. I definitely look forward to seeing your version of Kelly-087 (from "The Package" I assume).
I'd like to get into 3D printing for other stuff (I have a 3D printer but it's been fighting me to get working). But that's not likely to be any time soon so for now I'll probably proceed with EVA foam as my material.
I definitely had my fair share of problems with my 3D printer, but I have it at a pretty stable point now where I haven't had any major issues that weren't human error. If you have any questions about printing, I'm sure there's tons of good resources here on the forums to help out. ;)

Why I Halo Play! Is my story, at least one of them. I love yours as well, personally I've been watching the 405 for over a year, actually probably close to two years. They always seemed legit and open and welcoming. This last FanExpo I finally decided to go up and introduce myself to some cool cat from LA. Which I can't remember his name. Then that led to meeting PerniciousDuke and PapaHawk

After a couple hours of pondering, I was all in! Now here we are and I've met some more awesome people and that's why I do it.

Thanks for sharing your reason!

Baron

Last edited:
Why I Halo Play! Is my story, at least one of them. I love yours as well, personally I've been watching the 405 for over a year, actually probably close to two years. They always seemed legit and open and welcoming. This last FanExpo I finally decided to go up and introduce myself to some cool cat from LA. Which I can't remember his name. Then that led to meeting PerniciousDuke and PapaHawk

After a couple hours of pondering, I was all in! Now here we are and I've met some more awesome people and that's why I do it.

Thanks for sharing your reason!

Baron
That was quite the story! Almost seemed like a speech you would tell troops before they march off. Really good stuff! I'm even feeling a little inspired now having read it. ;)

I wish I could've gone to the FanExpo this year, but it just didn't work out. Glad you got to meet some of the troop though! :cool:

That was quite the story! Almost seemed like a speech you would tell troops before they march off. Really good stuff! I'm even feeling a little inspired now having read it. ;)

I wish I could've gone to the FanExpo this year, but it just didn't work out. Glad you got to meet some of the troop though! :cool:
Thank you! I appreciate the comment.

My want to cosplay started back when Halo CE came out but I never actually got into my first suit until about 6 years ago when I joined the 501st as a Republic Commando. I made friends with the local Garrison and one of the guys helped my source my kit. It was easy to dive into SW cosplay as we had a local Cafe that was SWs themed and run by a member, with how active they are in the local community I jumped straight into it. In doing so I actually met some 405th members who are in the Garrison and figured I'd finally get a start on my first kit here. I always thought it'd be a Spartan but it was hard to pass up being an ODST.

My want to cosplay started back when Halo CE came out but I never actually got into my first suit until about 6 years ago when I joined the 501st as a Republic Commando. I made friends with the local Garrison and one of the guys helped my source my kit. It was easy to dive into SW cosplay as we had a local Cafe that was SWs themed and run by a member, with how active they are in the local community I jumped straight into it. In doing so I actually met some 405th members who are in the Garrison and figured I'd finally get a start on my first kit here. I always thought it'd be a Spartan but it was hard to pass up being an ODST.
The Republic Commandos are so cool. I have a picture I took with someone from the 501st who cosplayed as Sev from the game. Absolutely love that armor.

I think once my Spartan armor is finished, I'll be doing an ODST set. Something about them being more down to earth than a super soldier makes them that much cooler. I can't wait to see your build when it's done. It looks great so far!

The Republic Commandos are so cool. I have a picture I took with someone from the 501st who cosplayed as Sev from the game. Absolutely love that armor.

I think once my Spartan armor is finished, I'll be doing an ODST set. Something about them being more down to earth than a super soldier makes them that much cooler. I can't wait to see your build when it's done. It looks great so far!
Thank you! I just need to pull my finger out and start cleaning up the edges . Still undecided if I am going to fibreglass the inside of it or not. I just want it done but I know I should take my time with it.

We have a few clones in our squad that we even ended up making a fire team called Drop Bear Company.

There is something about the ODSTs that even though they don't have the same enhancements as the Spartans they certainly have balls of steel to do what they do

Here is a pick of our logo and me in the RC FB_IMG_1706221626013.jpgFB_IMG_1706221661684.jpg

I was always into theatre and dressing up.
Me and my friend used to have gaming nights where we would just play Multiplayer Halo for hours. Eventually we tried making some Pepakura armor. We didn't make it past the folding and gluing part. Just due to having to all of a sudden move while building and they got damaged in the move.
This was before I got brought towards the 405th, By my other friend who I have now helped build some armor/props with. I still haven't made my own armor yet. But I hope to soon.

Incredibly simplified but I was addicted to Project Runway as a kid so like ten years ago my mom and grandma got me a sewing machine for Christmas. I would make my own clothes and stuff but once I hit middle school until like halfway through high school, I stopped making garments and would really only sew small projects, anything that needed repairs and my Halloween costumes. Once quarantine hit, I got insanely bored and went back to sewing a ton and also watching a ton of tv which turned into "heyyyyyy that character has an awesome outfit, I could totally make that". Eventually I started going to cons with my friends and just kept making my own costumes and now I've been cosplaying for a little over two years .
As for the Halo side of things, I didn't know what to make next and my friend said "so there's this game called Halo that has sick designs" and now I'm printing an armor set and watching Halo playthroughs on youtube lol. Also I met a few more people from the 405th at a convention when one of them stole the Grogu plush I had for my Mando costume. Twice.

That's pretty cool that your friend is a cosplay judge. I'd love to do that but I would probably end up just giving everyone tens or something. Samus' Armor from any of the games would be absolutely amazing. One of my all-time favorites for sure. :cool:

From what I know, Halo 2 is most people's favorite, so it was definitely a good one to start with. The music in all of the games is just awesome... I listen to it when doing work around the house and whatnot. I definitely look forward to seeing your version of Kelly-087 (from "The Package" I assume).

I definitely had my fair share of problems with my 3D printer, but I have it at a pretty stable point now where I haven't had any major issues that weren't human error. If you have any questions about printing, I'm sure there's tons of good resources here on the forums to help out. ;)

I dunno about being a judge myself, maybe down the line once I'm better at making costumes (and can actually sew too). But the Samus armour turned out ok I think (especially for my first). I'm still making tweaks and improvements to it now. (I need to remake the cooling system though. Which I'm probably going to use as a base for my Halo armour too.)

I love going back to listening to Warthog Run or the "Every Halo theme perfectly synched" to like amp myself up.

As for the printer, well I got tired to trying to fight this one so I bought a Creality K1 Max yesterday (should be here in a few days) so hopefully this one is easier to get working.

I got into cosplaying mainly through starwars when I was little, became a member of the 501st in 2022 and saw a 405th booth at Washington state Summer con in 2023, found the forums, the discord and now im here.

Ive loved Halo for a while, and I loved how open, welcoming and friendly the 405th is, I also love the fact that you dont need to have a screen accurate, perfect costume for tier 1 deployment, as well as the fact that this forum has SO many different tutorials and resources!

I think the biggest reason would be Halloween and by extension my great aunt. Ever since I can remember I've always loved Halloween because my family would all get together at Aunt Karen's house and I'd get to show her whatever costume I had made. She was always so proud to see them because I put effort into it instead of having mom pay for it. Halloween was her holiday and she owned it 100%. That always inspired me to make costumes and master my craft. Obviously, I grew up with Halo, so when I found out about cosplay and conventions and whatnot it seemed like the only logical conclusion. Now every day can be Halloween and I can keep her spirit and love of the holiday with me all the time.

Hey everyone!

I was just really curious what everyone's story was on why they started making cosplay/costumes and what led them to where they are in the hobby today. I didn't see an existing thread that covered this specific topic and I really wanted to see how similar (or different) everyone's reasons/experiences are.

Personally, I have liked to make costumes since I was about 8 or 9 where I made Ninja Turtle outfits and weapons. My material of choice was cardboard until I was about 13 and found out that there were alternatives... but I still preferred cardboard. ;)

The main reason I stepped into the halo side of things was due to some totally cool dudes that I met at Emerald City Comicon with their ODST and Spartan cosplays. I was in so much awe that I had to go home and google what it was all about (using my Nintendo DS-i internet browser), where I stumbled across using foam for making costumes. I was terrible at it and eventually gave up... Until I got a 3D printer!!! :D

And that's where I am today.

So... what are your stories?
Pretty simple for me honestly, around 2020 I got back into Halo, started reading the books and kind of just thought, "Hey, why not make a Spartan suit?" Kinda was cut and dry after that, and I originally started a Mark V (B) then pivoted to Mark VII, then Rakshasa and here I am now lol!

I was always into theatre and dressing up.
Me and my friend used to have gaming nights where we would just play Multiplayer Halo for hours. Eventually we tried making some Pepakura armor. We didn't make it past the folding and gluing part. Just due to having to all of a sudden move while building and they got damaged in the move.
This was before I got brought towards the 405th, By my other friend who I have now helped build some armor/props with. I still haven't made my own armor yet. But I hope to soon.
I used to have so many gaming nights with Halo (Reach in particular) where we'd stay up until 5 in the morning just playing multiplayer or Forge. Now I couldn't even stay up to 1:00 since I'd fall asleep well before then. :lol:

Sorry that the move damaged your parts, that's definitely pretty unfortunate. But I definitely look forward to seeing your armor whenever you get to it. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back