The Waffle's First Build: Jorge-052(Pic Heavy/Large Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningWaffle

Morning 405th. I've been holding off on posting up a thread for the sake of having more progress to post, and after last night's work, I decided to post up my progression on Jorge's armor.
I actually tried my hand at pepping about a year ago. I made a Halo 3 marine helmet, and had it down to the Rondo stage before it was accidentally smashed by my roommate (I am a college student, just to let you know). I don't have a roommate this year, which makes this hobby a bit easier. Anyways, here's what I've got after a week and a half, on and off, of pepping.

DSCN0305.jpg

The backpack, just completed, with support pieces.

DSCN0313.jpg

The grenadier collar, in a partial stage of completion. Note that on my laptop I was actually reading around on the forums at the time of the picture.

DSCN0314.jpg

Five hours later, the finished result. Note that I left the flap open on the UA attachment so I could Rondo the inside.

DSCN0300.jpg

Very early on in the project, I finished the boot toe, a forearm, and a knife.

DSCN0315.jpg

My total project compilation as of the time of posting.

Well, that's all the photos I have at the moment. Let me know what you guys think, and I'll keep you updated. I just got the go-ahead to start resining and fiberglassing (they wouldn't allow any of it in or around the dorms until I got the ok), so that's part of my starting project today.

This is looking really awesome man, the torso looks beaut! Looking forward to seeing the process. :D

True. Also, one quick question before I go much further: when I start assembling the helmet, should I actually be able to put it on my head uncut if I've scaled it correctly? If the answer's yes, I may have to reprint my helmet. I'm 5'4-1/2", and I scaled the file to a person of 5'8" for padding and whatnot, but I think it'a too small, possibly.....or can that be fixed with trimming later on?

Well, everything kind of ground to a halt here. Picked up a nasty computer virus off of the Google home page and I've spent the past two hours fighting it. I'll post more pictures when I can....when it lets me.

Ok. I have a small update for you today. I didn't get to fiberglass yesterday as I spent most of my time fighting a computer virus. But today it's actually 67 degrees, so I'm going to start soon. In the mean time, new picture update.

DSCN0318.jpg

The helmet progress as of last night.

Anyways, I'll have more updates by tonight.

Looks freakin awesome! Also with the question of the helmet it depends how much it doesn't fit by.. If you can trim the hole big enough to fit your head in, it should be alright! Scaling is always an issue though I think you've just gotta try until you get it right.
-Elliot

That confuses me, as Jorge dosent use a knife. Tanks dont need knives.

thats like saying nukes dont need paint jobs bro, everybody needs a good knife and every ICBM needs a shark head. stick that baby on your chest and your just ASKIN someone to make you use it.

So, I've got a brainstorming idea I want to throw out for you guys to think about.

I was looking around a thrift store last night for some junk that I could cannibalize for parts for the backpack and armor when I came across a set of small speakers. Normally I wouldn't think much of these, but the covers that were on the speakers were what caught my attention. They look like the end pieces on the upper part of Jorge's backpack. So I got to thinkin'...how feasible would it be to install a small-scale speaker system/MP3 player layout in the top half of the backpack? If so, how should I got about working that out? I'm electrically inclined, to an extent, but actually making it work is a different thing altogether. Thoughts?

Also, I'll have a new picture update late this afternoon/early this evening. I have classes on and off until 3:30, and I have one of the boots to fiberglass before it gets too cold.

Also, I'm going to replace the UA chest attachment with a more accurate model, so that's also going to set me back a bit.

Ok. Have a piecemeal update. I glassed and sanded one of the handplates. It's currently just after the initial sanding. Based on the photo, have any tips?
DSCN0321.jpg

I'll have pictures of the boot pieces up tonight once I cut off the excess fiberglass. Also, I'm having very slight warping on some pieces, so I'm going to have to break out the Bondo here soon to fix that.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I got to looking at the forearm piece today and noticed that it had warped beyond Bondo treatment. So I'm going to end up scrapping that and having to build a new forearm. At the same time, I'm going to try and finish out this handplate, then resume pepping.

Hey Waffle glad to see you're still busy on this! As far as the bondo's concerned I've recently decided to avoid it at all costs unless I'm seriously altering the shape of something. What I've been using instead is tubs of pre-hardened spot putty, it's nicer to work with, easier to sand and a dream to get smooth, unlike bondo. =p
(If you check our thread look at where I used bondo on the core, then the way superior finish I got with this stuff)
Don't know if that'll help but just letting you know what I've learnt from trial and error!
-Elliot

What I've been using instead is tubs of pre-hardened spot putty, it's nicer to work with, easier to sand and a dream to get smooth, unlike bondo. =p
(If you check our thread look at where I used bondo on the core, then the way superior finish I got with this stuff)
Don't know if that'll help but just letting you know what I've learnt from trial and error!
-Elliot

Hmm. Interesting idea. About how much does said spot putty run, usually?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back