Thick High Impact Styrene Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

B3RS3RK

Hi guys, I searched if I could find something about Styrene Sheets on the forum using "advanced search" but couldn't find anything (I hope I haven't missed that post, in such case I apologize).

I just started pepping a cardstock ODST shoulder, but my biggest problem right now is the strengthening the peps.
Saw fiberglassing, bondo/rondo, resin, etc...

But i found those styrene sheets, and I thought if somebody already tried them.

My idea was:
- pepping
- smooth casting the shoulder
- using a layer of this styrene sheets (inside and outside)
- then if possible smooth casting the styrene sheets
- and if possible or needed another styrene sheet

Well, this is what I am thinking (cause I want to build something really solid, the suit could even weigh 20 Kg XD but it MUST be really solid)

Thank you very much in advance!

It would probably work better to trace the pepakura patterns on the styrene sheets and just glue the plastic pieces together.

Thank you, I am gonna purchase a pair of these sheets to see how do they work. I'll let you know when I'm done.

I'm sure some members have thought of using styrene sheets. However, they are not practical for several reasons. Styrene sheets are prone to cracking. It doesn't matter how thich you are getting, they are not strong enough to wear. You are better off using acrylic sheets. Second. styrene sheets are expensive. My guestimate is if you want to build a whole set of armor, you may easily spend close to $700 give or take, depending on the thickness and waste. And finally, I don't think you can glue styrene sheets well. The seams may not hold well even with super glue. Sytrene sheets are great for scale models, not armor. You are better off using EVA foam.

Actually, you can glue polystyrene extremely well. There are special glues that will slightly dissolve the material, creating some sort of "plastic weld". Any Revell plastic model kit you've ever made will have worked like that :)

Actually, you can glue polystyrene extremely well. There are special glues that will slightly dissolve the material, creating some sort of "plastic weld". Any Revell plastic model kit you've ever made will have worked like that :)

True. The question is can you actually wear it without fearing that it will fall apart. It may glue well but I suspect that it can handle the stress of actually running with it.

I know for a fact that any plastic that is broken in two pieces can never be put back together again. My kids plastic toys suffered this fate multiple times. Tried all kinds of methods and most of the time the toys will just end up in garbage dump. You can melt styrene sheet and glue them together but the best method is to chemically altered its properties to obtain a strong bond.

True. The question is can you actually wear it without fearing that it will fall apart. It may glue well but I suspect that it can handle the stress of actually running with it.

I know for a fact that any plastic that is broken in two pieces can never be put back together again. My kids plastic toys suffered this fate multiple times. Tried all kinds of methods and most of the time the toys will just end up in garbage dump. You can melt styrene sheet and glue them together but the best method is to chemically altered its properties to obtain a strong bond.

Thank you too.
Well, seems I got a bad idea. Why there's not an easy to use, easy to mold, really solid, easy to find and cheap material that can be used to make strengthen the armor? (yes, it's a question that almost everyone asked himself in this forum XD).
I gotta get this fiberglass + resin + fiberglass cloth, but here in Switzerland I can't find a place where I can buy them...

It may glue well but I suspect that it can handle the stress of actually running with it.

It probably can't, unless you use a whole lot of it :)

Why there's not an easy to use, easy to mold, really solid, easy to find and cheap material that can be used to make strengthen the armor? (yes, it's a question that almost everyone asked himself in this forum XD).
I gotta get this fiberglass + resin + fiberglass cloth, but here in Switzerland I can't find a place where I can buy them...

Resins are relatively easy to use in my opinion. They're just messy :)

You can definitely get all the types of resin used on the forums in Germany, so I'd guess you can get them in Switzerland as well. There's a thread full of Germans somewhere, you might want to use that for inspiration :)

Resins are relatively easy to use in my opinion. They're just messy :)
You can definitely get all the types of resin used on the forums in Germany, so I'd guess you can get them in Switzerland as well. There's a thread full of Germans somewhere, you might want to use that for inspiration :)

Thank you, I'm gonna look on the forum.
Yep, messy and toxic but with good precautions it's ok. I'm just wondering if I can handle to get a width of 5mm or 10mm using resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back