Thinkin about buyin a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vrogy said:
Vader, please tell me you're joking. There's this thing, called Boot Camp. Oh, and Fusion, and Parallels...

I'm typing this from a week-old iMac. Used a mac only a couple times before, and the transition was seamless.
With Boot Camp you can stick a partition on via GUI and install and boot to windows. Everything's simpler and prettier.

If you have to have black there's a black Macbook, you can get one on Ebay for around 800-900 USD.

Switch. You won't regret it.
I was sort of kidding - games and Pepakura Designer are probably the only drawbacks.
I'm a mass comm student, and there is a mix of macs and pcs in the industry. Depending on the media (print, TV, radio, etc), macs are used more prevalently. In the School of Mass Comm and Journalism here at Texas State, you can find a couple of PCs, but it's almost all mac. I think the Video Editing is done mostly on PCs, as well as Audio, but most everything else is Mac.

Personally I perfer PCs, but that's because I've used them almost exclusively for almost 20 years. I do envy the stability of macs - but the simplicity stumps me. I like having multiple buttons on my mouse and have problems opening and closing stuff on the mac - mostly closing, because clicking the little red button doesn't necessarily 'close' it as much as just hide it. But if you were to take a trip through Old Main here, most of the kids using laptops are using macbooks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont go dell, my friend's dell laptop always has some sort of hardware issue. One day the screen wont work, reset, it works, next day the wifi wont work, reset then it does, then next thing..omg....

GO with acer (full black 2gig ram, 160gig HDD, webcam, mic, amd x2 500$ bestbuy this week)

Or go with HP/compaq (silver with fancy design inside, black shiny surface on outside, 1gig, 160gig hdd, nvidia 7150go graphics, webcam, mic, 700$)

AoBfrost said:
Dont go dell, my friend's dell laptop always has some sort of hardware issue. One day the screen wont work, reset, it works, next day the wifi wont work, reset then it does, then next thing..omg....

GO with acer (full black 2gig ram, 160gig HDD, webcam, mic, amd x2 500$ bestbuy this week)

Or go with HP/compaq (silver with fancy design inside, black shiny surface on outside, 1gig, 160gig hdd, nvidia 7150go graphics, webcam, mic, 700$)

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but DON'T go with Acer. My brother has one. The thing is always overheating or something is wrong with it.
I would suggest a Gateway or Hp. I don't know about Dell because I've never had one. But Acer is a big no-no in my eyes. Plus, it is SO loud.

There's my two cents. Overall, the choice is yours. My brother may just have a faulty Acer too!

Or...... An Alienware or Widow or Vodoo! :p That is, if you went to spend thousands on it! Which I'm guessing you don't.

kerotan 36 said:
I got an HP Pavillion dv6000 Laptop it works pretty well I wanted an alienware laptop but ohwell. It looks pretty cool what with the inprint design.

Yeah my moms laptop looks exactly like that but the keypads a little more to the left and its a dv9000.

Spartansoldier6 said:
hahaha you should get a compaq i have one and it runs madd fast just one problem it has windows vista wich means cant do very much
Vista has more capabilities then XP, what are you talking about?

I have an old zv5000 series laptop, still works well, it was the elite of the 5000 series, but now the cheaper laptops that HP offers beat the crap out of mine spec wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back