Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
thorssoli said:
Thank you for your compliments and I apologize for your confusion. I thought I'd explained what was going on pretty well. I have failed. I am ashamed...
No no no! Not confused, some things are not *perfectly* clear but I may take a look at the the book you recommended. All amazing stuff, just so much to take in all at once!

(Runs off to work on his helmet)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pro tip of the day:
When you're laying out your pep models and there are parts that won't fit on just one page, add some text that runs across the whole part. This will give you readily align-able reference marks so you don't end up making the oversized part too large or too small.

For example, the support strut inside the back of the torso armor printed across three pages:
IMG_0001_1937.jpg

By adding text, I was able to take out the guesswork involved in cutting off the margins of the page and sticking the part back together.

Bonus know-it-all points if you know where the text came from.

thorssoli said:
Pro tip of the day:
When you're laying out your pep models and there are parts that won't fit on just one page, add some text that runs across the whole part. This will give you readily align-able reference marks so you don't end up making the oversized part too large or too small.

For example, the support strut inside the back of the torso armor printed across three pages:
IMG_0001_1937.jpg

By adding text, I was able to take out the guesswork involved in cutting off the margins of the page and sticking the part back together.

Bonus know-it-all points if you know where the text came from.

That's gotta be Shakespeare. he loves his O's

I just put lines across my parts with ----- but didnt think of the text idea that takes the guesswork out of the length.

I is that Robinson Caruso or Gullivers travels

Google is my friend, so I don't deserve the points.

The Tempest by William Shakespeare

Gotta ask though, the green stuff on your torso, is that resin? I've never seen it in the MC coloured variety before.

Feral said:
That's gotta be Shakespeare. he loves his O's

It is I think its when a guy and a girl come to a new land and he says all that stuff...Cant say for sure never read the book my self I read Brave New World my teacher told us that Huxley got the title from Shakespeare...I think :D

Achille said:
...the green stuff on your torso, is that resin? I've never seen it in the MC coloured variety before.

That was my first pour of resin. There's nothing special about it though. It's just normal urethane casting resin with some green pigment thrown in.

I made a few pours (two on each side I could lay it on) and it's a bit more sturdy now. It looks about like so:

IMG_0006_1942.jpg

IMG_0002_1938.jpg

By the by, in order to prevent too many off-topic posts, the quote is one of Prospero's lines in Shakespeare's "The Tempest." Aldous Huxley had a lot of Shakespeare quotes in his book "Brave New World," to include the title.

So now you know...

thorssoli said:
It's just normal urethane casting resin with some green pigment thrown in.

Oh, ok. Is there some secret reason as to why you dyed it green, like to make it easier to see where you've already casted, or is it just for gits and shiggles?

Gits and shiggles I suppose. I made my Mk5 blue, I made the space diaper light red, I had some green pigment, so I figured why not. Actually, most of the pigmenting I've been doing lately is just so I can get a better feel for how much pigment I need to get the colors I want. Before I mail this stack of stuff home I'll probably give it all a good few coats of cheap blue spraypaint (since I have it on hand) so the color of the resin matters not at all. I'll post pics when I get to that point too.

Meanwhile, I've still got a couple more sizes of torso, bicep armor, space diapers, and thighs to make. Then it'll be time to line them all up assembly-line-style and start filling and sanding and shaping and detailing and painting and molding and casting and painting and weathering and getting dressed.

Never enough time.

thorssoli said:
...and getting dressed.

Never enough time.

I certainly hope you mean getting dressed in the armour you're making. :p I hear ya on the never enough time thing, but your armour is coming out very nicely. (y)

It's been a month now since I've posted any progress. I'd apologize, but I've had a few other things going on in the meantime. Either way, the bulk of my new developments have just been pep parts:
3370486460_21287e3a32_o.jpg

I've been making a bit of progress during my free time, but the real fun is when I have to explain to the other folks on the base what it is that I'm doing.
3369698063_ae39467b79_o.jpg

In fact, while I was painting today the base Sergeant Major wandered by a couple of times and asked all sorts of questions each time.

"Sir," says she, "does your issued body armor not work?"

"I don't know yet," says I, "but I do know that it doesn't cover everything..."

I decided to try the process a bit backward on the newest round of pep parts. Since the paint doesn't like to stick to the urethane resin very well, I'm priming and topcoating the parts before I pour the insides.
3370486466_063518101d_o.jpg

I'm sure I'll still have to do some touch-ups, but it all looks good in the meantime.
3370486474_9a933707aa_o.jpg

As I get the parts reinforced I'm going to have to start sending them home so I can do the final fairing and shaping and detailing when I get back. I realize that putting a finish color on these parts now is a bit of a waste of effort, but it'll look cooler in the meantime.

Stay tuned.

making chief armor in Afghanistan like tony stark........cept chief armor.

Hey Thorssoli, good to see alls well. The peices are coming on realy nicely!! very very clean. :)
Wnyway, keep it up n hope to see you back soon :D

heheh, i love that

thorssoli said:

Priceless. That had me rolling on the floor. For some reason I could so picture C/ CSM Jernigan (my Battalion Sergeant Major from JROTC) saying that. I'm surprised you work on your armor over there. I would feel like an idiot. Come to think of it, I'll feel like an idiot making it in my garage,but thems the breaks.

Well, have fun over there. Watch your back and a keep up the good work. Don't do anything stupid.....thats the whole speech, right? But seriously take care of yourself over there. Hopefully you'll be back soon so you can make us some more molds....umm *Cough* I mean so you can see your family. :)

Hope you (and every other US soldier) are home soon.
Kaya

Adam said:
making chief armor in Afghanistan like tony stark........cept chief armor.
That and it's on a military base instead of in a dinky little cave surrounded by missile parts.

Looks good, thor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back