Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was lead here by a youtube video, your thread is pretty much the first one that I opened. Thoroughly impressed with the amount of dedication and work you have put in to this! Are you by any chance still selling pulls?

Thanks for the response and clarification! I'm guessing regular clear coats will turn the chrome grey? I noticed on the manufacturer's site that they make an equally expensive "mirraclear", is that something you've tried as of yet?

I haven't been on their website in some time, so thank you for pointing that out to me. I'll have to give it a shot.

what made you decide to go with the mirrachrome vs the killer chrome??

I just happened to have some of the mirrachrome left over from when I painted my car. If I'm informed correctly, the killer chrome is the same stuff in a spray can.

I'm trying to improve my methodology for attaching the visor to the inside of the helmet.

Today's idea was to mask the hell out of the helmet and visor, clamp them together, "caulk" the seam with CA adhesive, then pour epoxy in from the inside to reinforce the seam.

Here's some shots of my clamping arrangement:
4865262260_4b57007c0c_o.jpg

Since I didn't have any clamps with deep enough throats to reach inside the helmet and apply pressure where I needed it, I ended up making pincers out of some scrap wood. Then I used bar clamps to squeeze the pincers shut:
4864643725_30e707e374_o.jpg

I used three such assemblies to press the visor forward into place as well as keep it snug on each side:
4864643859_e9cfc1107f_o.jpg

I'm going out on a scout trip for the next week, so at least I won't be tempted to pull the clamps before the glue is fully cured.

In other news I finished this paintjob:
4864609127_4d48689e36_o.jpg

If the method above works out, I'll be installing the visor when I get back next week. You can see oodles more pics of this helmet by clicking HERE.

Finally, I received a box from Ithica yesterday containing this beauty:
4864574545_86861c0848.jpg

The sculpt is great and it's a nice, strong casting. It's a bit on the small side, but it'll look good with my me-sized armor:

4864584817_c3a0019cb1_o.jpg

Whenever I get started painting it and fitting a visor I can see through I'll start another thread.

Questions and comments welcome as always.

Stay tuned...

I literally cannot wait to see that Eva visor in effect. It's always been my favorite perm.

The lined out visors look outstanding- Best looking visor hands down. Double visor techniques don't even look near as good.

Forgot to mention, I had Lopez carve me out some new handplates in a variety of sizes:
4864799584_1c30f31b39_z.jpg

The black one is one of my castings based on my pep build. Here's a closer shot with the same size CNC'ed one made of MDF:

4864181143_ef7199845b_z.jpg

Now I'm going to have to finish all four and make molds so I can make small, medium, large and child-sized handplates.

More on that after I get back.

Great work!

*phew* just finished reading all 83 pages of awesomeness.. and I must say, great work!! Once you start doing the finishing work on the helms and the rest of the armor (LED work, fans, etc), I will be taking copious notes :D I'm thinking about putting a working HUD in mine when I get that far and $tuff.. I just gotta find one of the little projectors... :D

The paint job on the camo helmet makes me think you have a can of digital-camo spray paint laying around that spits out the pattern for you, anyways great job on the helmet!

wow, i love how your trying to figure out how to easyify stuff, its so.... easy!
it's like your getting ready to go into mass production!! (please, please, please do!)

Mass production takes away the appeal of self-built armor... it's not like we're pumping out stormtroopers here :p

Though that would be awesome, especially with quality work like this.

Loving the work!
And nice shipment from SeanBradley, think you'll try making some "mirrored" ODST visors like your MarkVI?
Sadly I won't be able to buy my visors off Sean (or go to my con)..
If you do any ODST visors in the future I'd be looking forward to buying one

Mass production takes away the appeal of self-built armor... it's not like we're pumping out stormtroopers here :p

Though that would be awesome, especially with quality work like this.

lol, thats what i thought!! :p

edit : also, thorssoli, sorry if you've already put one up (i don't really want to go through 80+ pages again lol :p) but could you please put up a tutorial about the visor??? i dont like the look of the cut up motorcycle helmets (too cheesy, if thats the word) so i thought i could easy up your version and have a go at it!!! (btw, im going odst so i'm going to have to modify your recipe anyway :p)

cheers,

wow, i love how your trying to figure out how to easyify stuff, its so.... easy!
it's like your getting ready to go into mass production!! (please, please, please do!)

Not anything I would call "mass production" I've got about a dozen friends who have contributed materials or labor to this project and they'll be getting suits of their own. My indecisive nature has left me unable to decide what color suit I want, so I'll make at least three for myself. This means I'm looking at making fifteen of these with only occasional help. It makes sense for me to streamline production as much as possible. It also means that I'll have more opportunity for trial and error than most makers get. The more I make mistakes, the more I can post lessons learned for other makers.

I'll buy a complete set when its ready.

Be aware that I'm not selling any fully painted suits. I'm willing to let a few sets of castings go, but only to cover the cost of my materials for making the above-mentioned outfits. If you're interested in getting copies of the pieces I've got mods for so far, email me at sthorsson99@yahoo.com and we can work something out. When I've finished this whole ridiculous project, I might list one or two of my less-favorite suits on eBay, but I won't make any promises.

...think you'll try making some "mirrored" ODST visors like your MarkVI?
Sadly I won't be able to buy my visors off Sean (or go to my con).. If you do any ODST visors in the future I'd be looking forward to buying one

I'm not doing ODST visors. If anything, I might buy one or two more from Sean and experiment with mirroring them. The visors Sean makes are great and there's no way I could make a better product or offer a better price. He really is your best option.

could you please put up a tutorial about the visor??? i dont like the look of the cut up motorcycle helmets (too cheesy, if thats the word) so i thought i could easy up your version and have a go at it!!!

My visors are vacformed in 1/8" acrylic, the outside is scored with the ridge details, then the inside is sprayed with mirrachrome. At some point I'll be making a better vacforming setup so that the ridges will be formed into the plastic instead of scored onto the surface. It's really not all that complex, provided you have the ability to vacform pieces and parts.

With all of that answered, you'll all be glad to know that I'll be back in the workshop as early as Wednesday and tinkering on my projects again. Stay tuned...

Hello my name is Jonathan. You may get this alot but are you willing to make a set of ODST armor for me I am willing to talk for a good pice, but my deadline is on July 1st, 2011, and I was hoping you could make one for me. But do take your time. If you can or if you need to know more please contact me via e-mail (jonstkennedy@live.com.)

Thank you,
Jonathan Kennedy

Sorry, pal. I don't think Thorssoli has time for that. He's gotta float around in the ocean for a bit, among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back