Tips for pepping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamertag

I previously made a Mk VI helmet, and I didn't like the results at all. The helmet caved in on the right sides, holes, probably because I wasn't very careful. I am redoing it, but this time, I need some tips on folding, cutting, and gluing.

Some optional questions (you can answer these along with the tips you are about to spill on me!)

1. How do I score? Can I do it with a pen?

2. The forums have been suggesting me to use a ruler to fold. How?

3. How to fix crooked (NOT WARPED) peps?

Thanks. I would also like to give a thank to the community for helping me, especially Katsu.

I've been using a scoring bone. I mark my valleys red, score all my fold lines and then cut them out. A ruler is good but only on long folds and you have to watch your spacing.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Not sure if you're sick of me answering the questions, and future questions should be asked in the "Help!!! For XXXX" threads, rather than creating new threads. It keeps the questions and answers organized and reduce clutter in the build logs.

1) Either the back side of an exacto knife (be careful not to cut), or a sharp pen (I use 0.5 pens)
2) I use a ruler to keep the scoring line sharp and straight. To use it for folding you hold it on the fold line and bend, it's... it sort of helps a little but really folding by hand is easy enough anyways.
3) Use hot glue, then you can go back and reglue sections to fix crookedness. I use Elmer's glue but it requires being more careful as you can't undo messed up glues. However hot glue is more expensive, burns your fingers, and can mess up things if you use too much... also the webbing.

Use hot glue, then you can go back and re glue sections to fix crookedness. I use Elmer's glue but it requires being more careful as you can't undo messed up glues. However hot glue is more expensive, burns your fingers, and can mess up things if you use too much... also the webbing.

Yeah hot glue can be a pain to use. My poor finger tips are still healing from the last pep i did.

As far as advice\tips Id say patience and slow careful work done strategically. For example, don't pep a piece that requires surrounding pieces for support until those support pieces are also ready to be glued.

I use cheap ballpoint Bic pens to do my scoring, black for mountain and red for valley. I use a good clear drafting ruler to line up all of the scores, but I cut free hand, I find the rule just gets in the way once you're cutting things. As for fixing crooked, the best fix is to not let it get crooked in the first place, work in small sections, and make sure things like up right, if you mess up a piece, don't just keep working around it, cut that piece out, and print out a new one to fit in instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back