tools and materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogman1165

I know the processes of both pepakura with layering fiberglass, and foam templating, I'm just curious as to how every one uses their tools, from Air vacuuming a Visor, to the brands of various Printers people like to us when making a template, I'm also vary new here, So if this many questions seems like too much I apologize. I Plan to build a C.Q.B. Halo 3 helmet as my first piece of armor, I'm thinking from EVA foam most likely as I have an abundance since I've made cosplay foam bits before, just nothing from the Halo universe even though I've always wanted to.

For vacuum forming tools that you'll want as a minimum are some sort of heater element, a shop vac, a forming table and a frame to hold your plastic.

I also like to have a set of heat resistant gloves, duct tape , tin snips, a silicone spatula and a heat gun on hand just in case. The heat resistant gloves are for the obvious reason, hot stuff is hot. Duct tape can be used to block of holes in sections of your forming table to increase suction in the portion that is immediately around your buck. Tin snips are awesome for trimming down thicker plastic. The silicone spatula has no texture and is awesome for pressing hot plastic down into the crevices of a complex form. A heat gun is good to have on hand if you have a section that needs a little bit of teasing into shape to save a bad pull.

I've heard that you can redneck a vacuum form molding machine by having some high temperature resistance wood (so it doesn't catch fire) to build a frame and table, a toaster oven from a thrift shop to heat the plastic, and an old household vacuum to pull the air out.

I've not tried it, nor would I advise it but I've heard its been done

I've heard that you can redneck a vacuum form molding machine by having some high temperature resistance wood (so it doesn't catch fire) to build a frame and table, a toaster oven from a thrift shop to heat the plastic, and an old household vacuum to pull the air out.

I've not tried it, nor would I advise it but I've heard its been done
Frogman1165 welcome to the 405th!

Bill Daran from punished props has a great video on how to make a cheap vacuum former, but I do not think it is necessary for your visor. A cheap motercycle helmet visor from a thrift shop would work just as well. The printer I use is just a cheapo printer that works with a4 paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back