Totally New At This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellhead1987

Hi, I'm shellhead and i've NEVER even thought about doing this pepakura stuff until I saw it on here. So i went to a website and I printed out my first pep pattern and i have a few questions.

I've read most of the how to forums, but there are still a question on my mind.

My first question is how to fold REALLY small folds. I've tried to use the dull side of the knife and still manage to cut off the small tabs.

What do I do!?!? please let me know everybody so i don't stumble anymore.

Thanks!

If you find yourself cutting off small tabs, then press much, much more lightly with the knife. I use it to score my folds and only drag it across with the slightest touch.

However, if you find that that's not your style, try using a ballpoint pen. They get down pretty, pretty small (I have done all the HD pep pieces here with ballpoint pens) and if the piece you're doing has color and you want it to look nice, find an empty pen lying around. Those don't leave pesky marks.

Hopefully I helped! :)

Ixius

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot, ALWAYS score with a ruler guiding your edge. It just looks better and makes the folding process easier. It does take more time, but it's totally worth it.

So you would actually cut along the small black portions of say the chest region, so it bends easier? Amazing... and yet... so simple.

Welcome to the site Shellhead1987. I use a slightly dull Xacto blade. The edge is sharp enough to cut the items out (although I use scissors mostly) but the back edge is dull enough to score a line for folding without cutting through the card stock.

Give it a try, it's only paper and you'll develop your own style. Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you make.

Shellhead1987 said:
Hi, I'm shellhead and i've NEVER even thought about doing this pepakura stuff until I saw it on here. So i went to a website and I printed out my first pep pattern and i have a few questions.

My first question is how to fold REALLY small folds. I've tried to use the dull side of the knife and still manage to cut off the small tabs.

Thanks!
I'm a noob too but remember seeing somewhere that for the smallest folds use tweezers to fold them but I reckon if you pointed the tweezers into the fold it would be OK for scoring. Also as everyone has said, ball point pens and imo any pen with a thin hard tip would work.
If you can't do it with a craft knife then I am not sure what else there is!
Hope I helped (for what its worth)

- SparTom <Noob

Last edited by a moderator:
So when i was looking at threads about what kind of paper to use, something occured to me....why not cut poster board and use it as the paper? It's reinforced, thick, and holds up to a knife Really well.

And another thing, What kind of printer do I use? Just a good ole' fashioned one or some fancy kind of printer?

Input is much appriciated.

Shellhead

Shellhead1987 said:

Thanks!
Umm what is that anyways?

try something a little bigger...like this

okay it might still be a bit small but its cool, the download button is to the left of the pic

this guy has some amazing pep stuff like cortana, chief, halo, and i think the pelican, and some stuff from portals and other amazing stuff

here

Assassin716 said:
try something a little bigger...like this

okay it might still be a bit small but its cool, the download button is to the left of the pic

this guy has some amazing pep stuff like cortana, chief, halo, and i think the pelican, and some stuff from portals and other amazing stuff

here

Thanks! Do you know where i could get some marvel comics oriented stuff? that would be cool, and i have the MC Printed now, thanks again. Does anyone know if poster board is good for pepakura?

Well as alot of the folks around here say, read the stickies they are your new best friend. they tell you everything you need to know about pepakura, folding, fiberglass, resin, you name it, as for what paper to use, cardstock is best for pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back