TUTORIAL: The Totally Offical "Hot glue Method" Method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm a NOOB and I need to know whether this method can be used for regular paper. I have to use regular paper because I can't find any card stock in China

MASTER CHIEF REPLICA said:
Hey guys I'm a NOOB and I need to know whether this method can be used for regular paper. I have to use regular paper because I can't find any card stock in China

I could not find cardstock either, but I printed it on regular paper and then traced every thing onto cardboard and cut and folded until I had every thing right on my thighs before i assembled it.. it took me about a day

Last edited by a moderator:
No, this method wont work on paper, cardstock wont be called cardstock in china, but I know they will carry it somewhere, look in office supply stores in the paper isles, it wont be called cardstock, but it has to be there under a different name.

I only have one prob with this method.

What if i used hot glue to build something? I know that more hot glue would melt the glue holding the tabs resulting in a piece coming apart at the tabs.
That sounds a bit confusing but do you know what i mean?

What could be a solution to this?

Other then that, im excited to try this out.

xrallyman said:
I only have one prob with this method.

What if i used hot glue to build something? I know that more hot glue would melt the glue holding the tabs resulting in a piece coming apart at the tabs.
That sounds a bit confusing but do you know what i mean?

What could be a solution to this?

Other then that, im excited to try this out.

when you glue the pieces together(spell check) use the gun and apply it in small drops.

Then melt the hot glue sticks in a metal container and then apply it with a brush in layers.

or you can use modge podge with a brush for the same effect... it just just take longer and more glue to get the armor as strong.

I'd brush on the first few layers very thin until you have it built up, then from there, it isnt going to transfer heat very far. If you don't feel safe still, go buy a few rolls of scotch tape, and loosely tape the outside of the piece to secure the pieces, once done hot gluing the inside, just carefully remove all the tape.

Master_Chief_13 said:
shoulda came out with this 5 months ago when i was experimenting with spray foam which was a total waste of time and money....oh well.......GREAT IDEA ...i would have never thought of that

i beg to differ MC13. the foam thing is working for me, i gotta find better placement. for now its safe to spray foam the inside of the chief's helmet specifically in the top visor area (above the visor that spacious cavity)

Buy Portable electric stove I'm going to think your talking about a range....So we do have to still you bondo on the outside?

I dunno if anyone has seen it yet or posted about it(sorry if its a double post); I was in Michael's Craft store about 2 weeks ago and in the isle that has hot glue guns etc, it looks like the was a kind of "Hot glue mini heater". It looked like a tin cup that you plug in and it heats and melts the glue sticks. I also saw things I'd call "Glue pellets" which are 1" long glue sticks :)

I'll look into it ore to make sure it's what I think it really is and maybe I'll pick one up and post pics.

If you guys want to get serious with the hot glue thing, get yourself a 3M Hot melt gun. They're kinda pricey, but man do they melt glue!!
I've been using hot glue since back in my Ghostbusters Proton Pack days :D

How I am making my second helmet
[attachment=3776:helmet1.jpg]
[attachment=3775:helmet2.jpg]
[attachment=3774:helmet3.jpg]
[attachment=3773:helmet4.jpg]

CPU64 said:
If you guys want to get serious with the hot glue thing, get yourself a 3M Hot melt gun. They're kinda pricey, but man do they melt glue!!
I've been using hot glue since back in my Ghostbusters Proton Pack days :D

How I am making my second helmet
[attachment=3776:helmet1.jpg]
[attachment=3775:helmet2.jpg]
[attachment=3774:helmet3.jpg]
[attachment=3773:helmet4.jpg]

your using it to piece your armor together?

Yeah, he is the one that inspired me and stunned me with such a high quality suit. Its the first one ive seen and by far one of the best.

Spartan-104 said:
Yeah, he is the one that inspired me and stunned me with such a high quality suit. Its the first one ive seen and by far one of the best.

I never felt so loved :D

Hey, I've seen in some earlier post that they used cardboard and used it inside the helmet also when adding the layers of glue. Do I have to use cardboard, or can I just straight up add layers of glue?

Confucious T said:
Hey, I've seen in some earlier post that they used cardboard and used it inside the helmet also when adding the layers of glue. Do I have to use cardboard, or can I just straight up add layers of glue?

You can just use glue. The cardboard just adds some strength.

After you used hot glue to harden inside, Frost said you could bondo/paint outside. Now when you mean outside, outside when its paper? Is it possible to put bondo on paper? Paper as in cardstock, 110lb

spartan 300 said:
u should make a video of a hot glued helmet to prove how durable and strong it is

did anyone make a video?
i think the hot glue method is a great idea,
but yeah, i want to see the armor after it has been hot glued.

just to show flexibility, durability, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back