Ugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Sun

So, after spending 6 or 7 hours on a MkVI helmet, I decided to scrap it because it was too big. I printed out MkVI HD left forearm, but even this seems to big. I actually scaled it with pen and paper this time. Getting 14.32 as my scaling value. I measured my print out's forearm to be 2.5cm, and got a height value of 358mm, making the pieces BIGGER than they are normally. Ignoring this, I printed them out, spent another 6-7 hours on this, and well, it seems once again too big...

I'm really getting demotivated hardcore. I've bought paper, glue, hot glue gun, even a printer, an embosser (for the folds) and It's just not working for me.

Would someone be able to give me the scaling value? I'm 189.0cm tall. I really need some help. I want to just get a few pieces to this suit, so I can harden them and actually feel like I can do this project. I'm just at a mega-low in motivation right now...

So, after spending 6 or 7 hours on a MkVI helmet, I decided to scrap it because it was too big. I printed out MkVI HD left forearm, but even this seems to big. I actually scaled it with pen and paper this time. Getting 14.32 as my scaling value. I measured my print out's forearm to be 2.5cm, and got a height value of 358mm, making the pieces BIGGER than they are normally. Ignoring this, I printed them out, spent another 6-7 hours on this, and well, it seems once again too big...

I'm really getting demotivated hardcore. I've bought paper, glue, hot glue gun, even a printer, an embosser (for the folds) and It's just not working for me.

Would someone be able to give me the scaling value? I'm 189.0cm tall. I really need some help. :(

I hope that you at least showed it to your mentor, if you don't want to show it to the whole forum? Helmets on their own often seem big, firstly because MC's helmet fits relatively snug and secondly because the armour will blow up your proportions. I think Hickeydog said that already on the Help!-tread.

Another tip: Finish one piece, don't jump around. It may be dull, but you'll remember more details about what you did and why it did or didn't work. And remember to write down your scale.

Yet another tip: Measure yourself and scale the pieces to a specific size. In your forearm-case, you'd want to measure from your wrist to the end of your elbow, maybe add a tiny bit and then scale the model to that height (to the program, the length is the height in this particular case, because the model is standing upright). Picture below. 35 cm seems way too big though. I'm 1.85 m and I scaled mine to a length of 29 cm, that seems to be the right size for me, both with Flying Squirl's forearm and with HaloGodess's female forearm. Are you sure you are trying to wear the piece the right way? Also take a ruler and measure the length, just to make sure your scale didn't somehow get screwed up. Posting a few pictures of the piece on you would probably help solve the problem as well.

th_scalingarm.jpg

Attachments

• th_scalingarm.jpg
    th_scalingarm.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 150
I hope that you at least showed it to your mentor, if you don't want to show it to the whole forum? Helmets on their own often seem big, firstly because MC's helmet fits relatively snug and secondly because the armour will blow up your proportions. I think Hickeydog said that already on the Help!-tread.

Another tip: Finish one piece, don't jump around. It may be dull, but you'll remember more details about what you did and why it did or didn't work. And remember to write down your scale.

Yet another tip: Measure yourself and scale the pieces to a specific size. In your forearm-case, you'd want to measure from your wrist to the end of your elbow, maybe add a tiny bit and then scale the model to that height (to the program, the length is the height in this particular case, because the model is standing upright). Picture below. 35 cm seems way too big though. I'm 1.85 m and I scaled mine to a length of 29 cm, that seems to be the right size for me, both with Flying Squirl's forearm and with HaloGodess's female forearm. Are you sure you are trying to wear the piece the right way? Also take a ruler and measure the length, just to make sure your scale didn't somehow get screwed up. Posting a few pictures of the piece on you would probably help solve the problem as well.

th_scalingarm.jpg

Thanks this should help. Also if you noticed, I applied for second mentor, reasons in the thread.

Edit: Some of these folds are so small, I don't know how you're supposed to do it... And I'm even on a piece that's too big! I can't imagine it getting any smaller. This is just crazy, I don't know how you guys make these folds...

Attachments

• th_scalingarm.jpg
    th_scalingarm.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 128
I would practice with some of the LD files first, there is not that many pieces, folds are simple plus it will teach you how to make and scale the armor, I started this way and so far have peped a whole MKVI outfit with HD files made my life so much easier, also reading the stickies helps alot

I would practice with some of the LD files first, there is not that many pieces, folds are simple plus it will teach you how to make and scale the armor, I started this way and so far have peped a whole MKVI outfit with HD files made my life so much easier, also reading the stickies helps alot

I was thinking about this, but I just keep thinking it would look good at all. Oh well, I'm going to try it, I think I'll be able to make both forearms in like 2 hours. Looking at them the folds are super simple. Only hard piece is the damn helmet.

I was thinking about this, but I just keep thinking it would look good at all. Oh well, I'm going to try it, I think I'll be able to make both forearms in like 2 hours. Looking at them the folds are super simple. Only hard piece is the damn helmet.

Well at least if you scale it wrong, you didnt go through alot of cutting and scoring just to find out its the wrong size, plus it helps you figure out how to scale, I would measure from the botom of your chin to the top of your head then add a few inches for padding, convert that measurement to millimeters and enter that into the height scale part, usually this works pretty good, also on armor pieces I just measure the part of my body where the armor will go, I look at a refrence pic like a forearm measure from my wrist to the elbow and convert that measurement to Millimeters and you should be good to go, just make sure you look at a ref pic to see where it will go on your body and it should work out for the most part, I made 3 thighs befor I got this scaling stuff figure out after that so far I made the whole suit with all the right sizes........ Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back