*** Ultimate Pepakura Glue ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
well me I use a cheapo school glue stick seems to give me time to alighn and hold fareley decent, Ive put together a few project with it and havent had any complaints ,and did I mention its cheap not toxic washable and easy to obtain now one thing though the more the project is handled prior to resin the more apt it may crack at a spot that u didint put enough glue on :)

I've been using hot glue and have found a nifty method to almost totally eliminate the oozing from the joints problem

1) Use a very small HIGH TEMPERATURE glue gun, the kind that has the small glue sticks... glue might cost a little more but you don't use very much at a time.

2) when you apply the glue apply only a small ammount and use the tip of the glue gun to spread it out evenly and thinly. The tip will eventually turn black, but a fine grain sand paper will remove the black stuff.

If for some reason the glue cools before it sticks, simply just touch the tip of the gun to 1/2 of the tab for a second, then hold it togather and repeat for the other 1/2 problem solved.

For super large tabs only apply a small portion to the middle where the numbers are. Then apply it in small sections and glueing them. Takes a little longer but works like a charm.

I have experimented with:
rubber cement
super glue (tip: apply lotion to your hands before you start, doesn't stick to skin as badly)
Scotch glue
contact cement
and one of those craft glue sticks that you rub on

I might try this one sometime as for now I'm a fan of hot glue

I personally like to stick with super glue. It's cheap ($1-2 for 3 tubes) and one tube lasts for around half a helm. It's also really strong and has no drying time, and it's not bulky like other glues, it's just like water.

The only draw backs are the glue-sticking-to-your-fingers thing and the fumes. I just use my respirator when I get nausiated and use a razor blade or knife to scrape the layer of skin away that has glue on it.

Works great :D

The stuff I use:

gorilla-superglue.jpg

Urethane reinforced for shock resistance!

$5/bottle. Lasts forever. Works like a dream!

Veritech017 said:
I think I'm the only person who uses elmers glue and has success with it.

I too use elmers, its cheap, dries quick, holds fine for my needs, easy cleanup, and with errors and learning curve Ive probably put together 2 and a 1/4 suits and Ive only used like half a bottle. Not bad for 72 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.. you put alot work into your research and write-up, good job. However, 1 mixing bowl, 1 bottle of tint, 1 box of q-tips, 1 quart of DAP and a hairdryer vs a tube/bottle of glue. Seems like a lot of extra work and money to a cheap readily available product found in all stores, not exactly "ultimate".

Cheers,
Kensai

I actually used this method when I worked on my stuff and I actually like it. I think I'm going to try hotglue though, but it did work well as long as you did not use too much, but if you used too little it could be a problem. And sometimes its messy, or at least I was just messy with it. But overall I do like it.

And it really is not that cost effective.

The quart of DAP costs 10$ish, but theres a lot in it so you can use it for quite a bit of armor.
You can go to a dollar store and get like, 300 Q-tips for, of course, 1$ and once again, thats more than enough.
For tint, most people have food coloring in their house, and if you don't want to spend the 2$ or whatever it is on it, you really don't need it. It was usefull at first, but then I just started not worrying about it with no problem.
Hairdryer was not necessary at all, I didn't even know I was "supposed" to use one. It dried quickly, sometimes I did have to just let it sit for a minute though.
And the bowl, well I just used leftover food containers and washed em out. Cat food/tuna fish cans were definitely the best, but I also just used random food containers made from plastic. Like a TV dinner or something similar.

But my main helmet was warped so I don't have too much room to talk :p

But I did enjoy the technique.

The best glue ive found is Book Binding glue. Comes in an elmer sized brown bottle.

you do know the date of this, right? just....pointing out the obvious.

'sides, there is no ultimate glue, its all personal preference.

rvb4life said:
you do know the date of this, right? just....pointing out the obvious.
'sides, there is no ultimate glue, its all personal preference.
I was going to comment on that too, but I was happy it was bumped, it does work and people are bringing up a nice discussion, besides its not too old.

Last edited by a moderator:
i use a type of glue called "aqua-glue" its like regular glue but it sorta dries as you move it more and more so shifting the tabs into place is easier and the container i got had an ultrafine tip (for a glue bottle) on one end and a large tip on the other end. i like it alot becuase it holds well (way better than elmers *shivers*) and it dreis fast but not TO fast and after its out of the bottle for a few seconds it start a slow dry im not doiung a good job of explaining but it pretty much means that the glue is still sticky while its still wet so you can somtimes (unless you put to much of it) start glueing a newe piece before the other part has even dried even when its just dangling from only 1-2 glued spots.
well i just wrote an paragraph or to on glue...wow, well off to go pep those 6 suits of odst...

P.S.i need to go get more the bottle i found it in while nicly shaped (torpedo) its kinda small (1.69 fl oz) oh and the best bit rub your fingers together even if you have a ton of it on them and it will solidifiy and fall off with ease!

EDIT: to anyone wonderind i found it at a hm...what was it? a staples or office max i think the latter its by tombo and its non-toxic and acid free

Elmer's glue still the best choice for me, and a few others here I can see.
If you use it correctly, it will bond paper just as fast as super glue. Without the whole "gluing your fingers together" problem.

I recommend using Elmer's glue, or even better, the yellow version used for wood bonds.
Its the best choice, believe it or not.

CPU,

Do you mean like the white pasty glue that you used in projects in school? I don't see how that can compete with super glue - super glue dries in about 2-3 seconds in my experience. I tried using elmer's glue when my super glue ran out, and I just couldn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back