Under armor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

OxidesOfPlasma

OK, so I have been looking at as many images I can find for details on the under suit. That part that is often little more than some kind of black fabric on a fan made suit. For the moment I've been focused on Spartan II armor. Limiting it to just the chest and neck I've found some details on 'generic" ( by generic I only mean to say that I have found more than one character image that had identical under armor ) Spartan II and John 117 Spartan II. Both generic and John 117 seem to have the same type hex pattern in the chest area up to the collar. Then there is a departure in the area that covers the neck. The generic has horizontal lines with a bit of a molded bump in the wind pipe area. The John 117 versions seem larger at the neck and have vertical lines in them.

Not hard to see that there are DOZENS of armor variations and I think even more helmet options. Is there a higher level of commonality in patterns found in the under armor, or are there almost as wide a range of variations with that as well?

I don't fully understand the question. are you talking about the Halo 2-3 era Gen1 Mk VI permutations or the halo 4+ Gen 2 Permutations?

If you're referring to pre-Halo 5 undersuit patterns, the base suit always remained the same across all permutations. This includes armours from Halo: Reach, Halo 3, and Halo 4. We only began to see different undersuits in Halo 5, and even then, only across certain Campaign-specific armour sets (Locke's Hunter set, Vale's Copperhead set, Linda's ARGUS set, John's Mk VI Mod set, etc).

So, to put it to you quite simply: every generation of armour has a generic undersuit model that you'll be able to use. You'll just need to pick - Halo 3's undersuit, Halo Reach's undersuit, or the minor differences between the Halo 4 and Halo 5 versions.

If you're referring to pre-Halo 5 undersuit patterns, the base suit always remained the same across all permutations. This includes armours from Halo: Reach, Halo 3, and Halo 4. We only began to see different undersuits in Halo 5, and even then, only across certain Campaign-specific armour sets (Locke's Hunter set, Vale's Copperhead set, Linda's ARGUS set, John's Mk VI Mod set, etc).

So, to put it to you quite simply: every generation of armour has a generic undersuit model that you'll be able to use. You'll just need to pick - Halo 3's undersuit, Halo Reach's undersuit, or the minor differences between the Halo 4 and Halo 5 versions.

OK, thanks.. that helps. So when I found differences in under suits I was likely looking at spartan II armor images from different games. Being a close up I did not notice if the armor was identical.

OK, thanks.. that helps. So when I found differences in under suits I was likely looking at spartan II armor images from different games. Being a close up I did not notice if the armor was identical.

Cool stuff. If you need further help I'm sure you'll be able to find some templates around.

Also, coffee comes before posting. :p

OK, so the images are from the Halo way point web site:
ALICE-130.jpg
This is Spartan II ALICE-130 according to there site. in the details that they list under related experiences they put Halo Wars. So that would be the game the character is from, yes? I did not find mention of what armor version is in the image other than I would guess a second gen? Being as the game release date was Feb 2009.

DOUGLAS-042-closer.jpg
Here DOUGLAS-042 shows a little better under suit detail and is also listed in the Halo Wars game.
MC-117.jpg
MC-117 who is NOT in Halo Wars, but is in CE,2,3,4 and the MC collection. He has a different under suit and armor.

I guess if there is a question in all this it would be this: Is the under armor pattern as seen in the ALICE and DOUGLAS images common across most pre Halo 5 suits?

OK, so the images are from the Halo way point web site:
View attachment 24277
This is Spartan II ALICE-130 according to there site. in the details that they list under related experiences they put Halo Wars. So that would be the game the character is from, yes? I did not find mention of what armor version is in the image other than I would guess a second gen? Being as the game release date was Feb 2009.

View attachment 24278
Here DOUGLAS-042 shows a little better under suit detail and is also listed in the Halo Wars game.
View attachment 24279
MC-117 who is NOT in Halo Wars, but is in CE,2,3,4 and the MC collection. He has a different under suit and armor.

I guess if there is a question in all this it would be this: Is the under armor pattern as seen in the ALICE and DOUGLAS images common across most pre Halo 5 suits?

Halo Wars MJOLNIR is Mark IV.
Halo 4/5 Chief has Mark VI GEN2. - over 2 generations later

Chief in:
CE - Mark V
2,3 - Mark VI
4/5 - Mark VI GEN2

Halo Wars MJOLNIR is Mark IV.
Halo 4/5 Chief has Mark VI GEN2. - over 2 generations later

Chief in:
CE - Mark V
2,3 - Mark VI
4/5 - Mark VI GEN2

Thanks. Still kinda lost though. CE was the first one released in 2001- H2 in 2004, H3 in 2007 With Halo Wars and H3 ODST in 2009. So the story line of Halo Wars in 2009 is pre Combat Evolved? Thus explaining the MK IV armor?

I don't fully understand the question. are you talking about the Halo 2-3 era Gen1 Mk VI permutations or the halo 4+ Gen 2 Permutations?

At this point in my research I don't follow all the variations. So honest I don't know what generation I'm talking about just yet. What is going on is this, I have a friend on the east coast that made this armor set on the left:
Jorgelowres.jpg

He wanted some improved version of the under armor. Anyhow I was attempting to figure out as best I can what is accurate to the suit and what is also the most common design used with the most fan built suits out there. The form that I have to make for the neck area ( mind you this is being done in small sections, NOT a full suit ) will take a fare amount of work. Once done it does not matter if I make 1 or 2000. The actual labor in making the part is pretty small.

Thanks. Still kinda lost though. CE was the first one released in 2001- H2 in 2004, H3 in 2007 With Halo Wars and H3 ODST in 2009. So the story line of Halo Wars in 2009 is pre Combat Evolved? Thus explaining the MK IV armor?

Of course. Halo Wars takes place approx.20 years before Fall Of Reach and discovery of Halo thus before Halo: Combat Evolved.
Halo: Reach takes place JUST right before before Halo: CE.
Also, Halo 3: ODST takes place during Halo 2 and before Halo 3. :D

Upcoming Halo Wars 2 will be a continuation of Halo Wars 1, so it will be before Fall of Reach as well. :)

Of course. Halo Wars takes place approx.20 years before Fall Of Reach and discovery of Halo thus before Halo: Combat Evolved.
Halo: Reach takes place JUST right before before Halo: CE.
Also, Halo 3: ODST takes place during Halo 2 and before Halo 3. :D

Upcoming Halo Wars 2 will be a continuation of Halo Wars 1, so it will be before Fall of Reach as well. :)
Aaaah.. OK, that would explain allot. So by virtue of Halo Wars being a later released game from an earlier time frame the details of the under armor are likely out of date. Mark V under armor would look different?

since the image is working I know what you are talking about. the Mk V system was used primarilly by the Spartan IIIs, not the IIs. the following is a quote from L3x's foam post featuring reach era undersuit ideals.

Today I fired up my son's XBOX ONE and took some images from the Spartan ops coop play section from HALO CE:
3.jpg
I'm not good enough to be able to ID what version of armor this is, other than ( to me ) it does not look like the MK V.
2.jpg
This helps a bit, mostly a hex pattern with some horizontal bars.
1.jpg
This does look similar to the MK IV pattern from Halo Wars.

Concept art for a neck cover:
Scan0001.jpg

It would be made from rubber, no zippers.

I'm not good enough to be able to ID what version of armor this is, other than ( to me ) it does not look like the MK V.

As has been previously explained - Halo 4 and Halo 5 feature Gen-2 MJOLNIR armours. EVERY Halo game uses its own variant of undersuit - Halo CE's Mk V undersuit differs from Halo Reach's Mk V undersuit. Halo 2/3's Mk VI Gen-1 undersuit differs again from Halo 4's Gen-2 undersuit, which is then altered again slightly for Halo 5.

If you want to make things easy for yourself: select which armour you want to build, then refer yourself to the undersuit that armour set uses. We'll be able to point you in the right direction much more easily if you'd give us more information - such as, for example, 'I want to construct a Halo 3 Recon armour set', which would enable us to give you templates for the Halo 3 undersuit.

Chernobyl is right. It doesn't matter what armor variant it is, it is STILL GEN2. Only the armor parts change, underarmor stays the same.
For accurate Mark V armor you can only look in Halo Reach.
For accurate Mark VI - Halo 2/3.
In Halo 4/5 it doesn't matter what armor you equip - it's ALL GEN2.

I would recommend to either look for in-game screens and models or on action figures and statues.

I found some nice Mark V underarmor references

Undersuit_Sketch_Scale_00.jpg

(spine below)

spartan_iii_undersuit_v_2_by_dutch02-d3d69dq.jpg

Attachments

• Undersuit_Sketch_Scale_00.jpg
    Undersuit_Sketch_Scale_00.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 322
  • spartan_iii_undersuit_v_2_by_dutch02-d3d69dq.jpg
    spartan_iii_undersuit_v_2_by_dutch02-d3d69dq.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,163
She finds all the little details of EVERYTHING!!!!! No matter how obscure, she finds it.

As has been previously explained - Halo 4 and Halo 5 feature Gen-2 MJOLNIR armours. EVERY Halo game uses its own variant of undersuit - Halo CE's Mk V undersuit differs from Halo Reach's Mk V undersuit. Halo 2/3's Mk VI Gen-1 undersuit differs again from Halo 4's Gen-2 undersuit, which is then altered again slightly for Halo 5.
Hi Chernobyl.. In your second post you say ( above ) every Halo game uses it's own variant of under suit. The first post ( below ) all pre Halo 5 games use the same under suit. So is there some subtle detail I'm not picking up on? :unsure
If you're referring to pre-Halo 5 undersuit patterns, the base suit always remained the same across all permutations. This includes armours from Halo: Reach, Halo 3, and Halo 4. We only began to see different undersuits in Halo 5

The only thing I know for sure that I'm doing is making some under armor parts for a friend of mine. I am currently tempted to make an armor set. Not to the point of committing to any one suit yet.

I don't! T_T
I didn't find the actual in-game model - if anyone has it, it'd be actually nice to see the actual underarmor.
Otherwise these underarmors are just made by people, they aren't highly accurate.
For accurate underarmor - go to Halo Reach and its Spartan models.

Also, figures like McFarlane's or the Noble statue or ThreeA figures are nice references. But we never see actual whole underarmor, only the visible parts.

Hi Chernobyl.. In your second post you say ( above ) every Halo game uses it's own variant of under suit. The first post ( below ) all pre Halo 5 games use the same under suit. So is there some subtle detail I'm not picking up on?

Chernobyl meant that underarmor always remains the same in each Marks.

Mark V - no matter what armor permutations you chosen and equipped - the underarmor never changed.
Mark VI - same, no matter what armor variants - underarmor is the same
GEN 2 - same, you can equip all the armor parts but the underarmor stays the same.

Even in GEN2 there is a change in undersuit.
In Halo 4 the undersuit is FULL hexagon.
In Halo 5 however they changed it to be simple and they kept the hexagon pattern on the shoulder area only (which I find a very bad decision as I like the Halo 4 undersuit a lot more)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back