Status
Not open for further replies.

ReClaimer8015

Let me hear your opinion on these developments you guys:
Unreal being open scource - what does that mean for independant creators, modders, etc.
How does Halo relate to it? Can the Slipspace Engine even compare?

Please no console vs. pc fights that`s currently all over twitter....:rolleyes:
Feel free to discuss and share your expectations or apprehensions/ criticism.

My friend sent me this while I was working on an environment design assignment in Blender.
My thoughts were "This can render billions of faces and I can't even get 15FPS with my realtime environment". I'm just obsessing over the lack of poly restrictions. Terribly optimised models here I come!

This benefits the whole industry.
It saves time because you can Import Models right into the Engine. There are more people able and willing to get into this field of Work when Things get easier. No more crunching...hopefully.

As a wannabe professional prop maker, I'm curious if it would have a place for the makers, seeing how much can be captured with photogrammetry. Alas, I think 3D modelling will still be faster than prop making.

I am just worried that current Computers won't be able to handle these Games without much more VRam and even larger NVMe SSDs. Which are expensive enough.
How big can Games even get?

I really don't want to wait hours for half a TB of DLC to download or so:eek:

Last edited:
I am just worried that current Computers won't be able to handle these Games without much more VRam and even larger NVMe SSDs. Which are expensive enough.
How big can Games even get?

I really don't want to wait hours for half a TB of DLC to download or so:eek:

I only have like 4-5 games on my pc that take up around 100gbs each.

Aslong as the game doesn't have useless content that stays behind (Like how fortnite has old maps still in their files that isn't used) it shouldn't be so bad.

It looks nice using uptoo 16 billion triangles from what I read. Looks almost photo-realistic. If they add some kind of ray tracing then it would smash every other engine out to date thus far. I'm very curious how other types of games would play in this engine, say for example would we see bullet holes in someone, flying limbs, gravity affecting environment for liquids say for example blood slowly dripping down a slope from shooting someone & not having a 3D asset having some parts of itself not go through the environment & walls? In the Farcry series for example not sure of engine use, when you move up against something, your weapon is holstered up or down but even then it has it's limits & Fallout 4 having your plants go through the wall when you put a pot against the wall. Little things like that to me kind of break immersion. :lol:
Another silly example is having a sniper or any other long weapon & going up against the wall in any Halo game, barrel goes through it. Wondering if the slipspace engine will make it better for the character model & your weapon interact with the environment better. Moving around trees & bushes? see your weapon shifting in aim a bit as branches physically interact with it instead having your weapon in a fix static position seeing branches go through the gun model. Raining? see rain droplets hit your gun & moving down the sides being affected by gravity. Sand or snowstorm? see your gun have a buildup of said environmental element in the cracks, nuts & bolts.

If they add some kind of ray tracing then it would smash every other engine out to date thus far
From what i understood "Lumen" has already an integrated ray tracing system. No prebaked lighting whatsoever. That also means that it can react to changing enviroments.
I think in the Halo sprint series for H5 the lead lighting artist, Kenny Magnussen, explained how they had to relight a whole section of the sanghelios level because they tried to cut out this giant hologramm in a certain room.....
That wouldn`t be an issue with UE5. You could also be able to test a lot of variants before you settle for a specific type of atmosphere.

Reminds me of the 360° virtual sets which were used in movies like Oblivion or The Mandalorian. Same degree of flexibility and freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back