Updates for the 405th in 2015! ALL PLEASE READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
2015 is set to be an incredible year for the 405th. As many of you know, we stepped into some very big shoes in July of 2014 and it has taken us a while to get our bearings, but we are now ready to move forward with two major projects this year:

1) 405th Club implementation
2) Transition to a modern software platform

While the second task is mostly a behind-the-scenes thing, finally solidifying the club aspect of this community and getting it off the ground will involve all of us!

For those who haven’t looked over it, you can review the basic tenants and layout of the club here:

http://www.405th.com/faq.php?faq=405th_costuming_club

With this in mind, we are making our first Division Staff appointment:

405th member, FANGS has graciously accepted the position of DXO, which means she will serve the community as the acting President and will preside over the staff. For those who may not know FANGS (Angela), she has been a long time member of the 501st and has served in some of the highest offices of that club, which has provided her with a lot of experience in this area. While I will continue to manage the technical aspects of the community (the server/software side), Angela will be replacing me as the primary point of contact for all the day to day issues, questions and concerns.

Both Ashuraa and Masterchief0624 have also stepped up to help us get the club up and running; to get Regiments formalized and get memberships approved which is going to be a tremendous task!

So, what are the next steps? Ashuraa and Masterchief0624 will be reaching out to the current moderators of each of our regiments to get the regiments officially recognized. Once that is done, we will begin the process of electing a Regiment CO. Finally, we will begin taking applications for “Deployed” status membership. It is going to be a little tricky this first time, but we are pretty excited to get it off the ground and to finally get things going!

Last edited:
I believe the ultimate intent was to clamp down a little bit on people with non-halo costumes wondering why they don't get invited to 405th events that require Halo costumes.

At the Pacific Regiment, there have been many instances where we are invited to do things like go on stage at SDCC, pose in the Microsoft Booth, work at E3, etc. Out of that has grown a necessity to say "Only members with Halo costumes can attend", which is essentially what the 405th tier system is.

So for example, someone in generic fatigues with a 405th patch on them (no armor, no custom fatgues) or a costume like this:
CloneTrooper.jpg

would be more than welcome (and have been welcome) to join the 405th group dinner. However, if 343 says "Let's get some Halo costumes on stage, we'll expect them to hang out backstage or in the audience with our handlers. Not because we don't love having them in our community or look down on them for not having a costume, but simply because of the event expectations.

At the next level we have unfinished costumes, but you can tell they're Halo already.
ReadABook.jpgTutuSpartan1.jpg

These are not complete costumes, but you can still tell it's a Halo costume. If 343 says they want Halo costumes on stage, you're more than welcome to show up just wearing that helmet you created.* 343 proudly had the spartan on the right lead their cosplay showcase in 2012's SDCC.

And again, keep in mind any of the above people can be 405th members still, as long as they are active on the forums or at events.

Now to reach the costuming tier, you need a completed Halo costume. So if Tutu spartan wanted to be a full member, she should keep pushing her abilities and skills and striving for that end goal:
TutuSpartan2.jpg

For costume membership status, we allow a wide variety of costumes. For those of you concerned about being able to express yourself, rest assured Art Andrews fielded many of our concerns about the wide variety of customization in Halo, and our members' creativity. As 343 has expressed a love for crazy designs, such as Mister Chief cosplay or balloon Halo armor, that is something that was kept in mind when figuring out what qualifies as a Halo costume.

So even if your costumes look like this:
CaptainChief.jpgAbby.jpg

You can still be a costumed member.

As far as tiers go, they're simply there for you to push yourself. There is no benefit 405th-wise to having a higher tier costume than someone else and your own personal feeling of satisfaction for reaching that level of recognition. Certain *events* may ask for "movie quality costumes" but that's at the event coordinators request, so regardless of whatever system the 405th has, our members have to screen and self select regardless.

That is, as far as I'm aware, the intent as far as costumes goes. Art can correct me if I'm mistaken on any of this.

*And underwear. Wearing your helmet and underwear.

Upvote 0
Nailed it.

I believe the ultimate intent was to clamp down a little bit on people with non-halo costumes wondering why they don't get invited to 405th events that require Halo costumes.

At the Pacific Regiment, there have been many instances where we are invited to do things like go on stage at SDCC, pose in the Microsoft Booth, work at E3, etc. Out of that has grown a necessity to say "Only members with Halo costumes can attend", which is essentially what the 405th tier system is.

So for example, someone in generic fatigues with a 405th patch on them (no armor, no custom fatgues) or a costume like this:
View attachment 9858

would be more than welcome (and have been welcome) to join the 405th group dinner. However, if 343 says "Let's get some Halo costumes on stage, we'll expect them to hang out backstage or in the audience with our handlers. Not because we don't love having them in our community or look down on them for not having a costume, but simply because of the event expectations.

At the next level we have unfinished costumes, but you can tell they're Halo already.
View attachment 9859View attachment 9860

These are not complete costumes, but you can still tell it's a Halo costume. If 343 says they want Halo costumes on stage, you're more than welcome to show up just wearing that helmet you created.* 343 proudly had the spartan on the right lead their cosplay showcase in 2012's SDCC.

And again, keep in mind any of the above people can be 405th members still, as long as they are active on the forums or at events.

Now to reach the costuming tier, you need a completed Halo costume. So if Tutu spartan wanted to be a full member, she should keep pushing her abilities and skills and striving for that end goal:
View attachment 9863

For costume membership status, we allow a wide variety of costumes. For those of you concerned about being able to express yourself, rest assured Art Andrews fielded many of our concerns about the wide variety of customization in Halo, and our members' creativity. As 343 has expressed a love for crazy designs, such as Mister Chief cosplay or balloon Halo armor, that is something that was kept in mind when figuring out what qualifies as a Halo costume.

View attachment 9867View attachment 9868

As far as tiers go, they're simply there for you to push yourself. There is no benefit 405th-wise to having a higher tier costume than someone else and your own personal feeling of satisfaction for reaching that level of recognition. Certain *events* may ask for "movie quality costumes" but that's at the event coordinators request, so regardless of whatever system the 405th has, our members have to screen and self select regardless.

That is, as far as I'm aware, the intent as far as costumes goes. Art can correct me if I'm mistaken on any of this.

Upvote 0

View attachment 9858

View attachment 9859View attachment 9860

View attachment 9863

View attachment 9867View attachment 9868

This is a great way to present this!!! Very cool!

Upvote 0
I know I'm kind of late to this party but I just wanted to put my thoughts in.

I have to admit, I very slowly came around to Arts point of view. At first I thought that everyone should get to vote. But then I realized: I probably won't make use of the regiment system, and I haven't ever been to a con and don't know if I ever will. So it would be pointless for me to vote for leadership of a group I'm not utilizing as intended. My main focus here is the forums: posting my progress and builds for you all to see, and using resources the community provides. Until I venture outside the forums, that's all I have a say in. It's just like any other club or society that requires membership dues. I'm not paying my dues by going to cons and going to meetings, so I don't have a vote. if I ever decide to go to a con, I'll join up and enjoy the benefits.

Thanks, Art, for listening to everyone's feedback and making amendments.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back