using paper clay instead of bondo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel62sir

hey 405thers i've been wondering if anyone out there has used paper clay on their suits instead of bondo, it seems to work the same and just as strong but half the weight, if anyone has used it i would be greatful for helpful input.

many thanks Mitch

Indeed I have, and am currently using paperclay instead of bondo to smooth my suit. I'm using the mud-like packaged stuff, not the fluffy kind that you mix with water (there are two kinds). It works great! You just have to keep in mind to use water to smooth it out as much as you can before letting it dry, to make sanding it down a lot simpler.

You can check out my progress link to see what it looks like on a mostly finished helm. Just keep in mind the pics there are a bit low quality and the helm still needs a bit of clay. :) Hope that helps!

it seems like an excellent alternative to Bondo, but for us price minded costumers out there, I ask this. Around how much of this stuff would be needed to finish a suit. or atleast the helmet. amazon has it listed around $16 usd for 16 oz.

Paper clay? I must admit I've never heard of this. Living in an apartment I've been looking for an alternative to Bondo. How good of a job does it do?

Paper clay is awesome. I say go for it. It's a little expensive, but it does wonders and it looks fantastic after you sand it. I've had friends of mine make entire suits of armor strictly out of paper clay and it comes out hard as a rock. It's like Paper mache on steroids. haha.

@erayachi, thanks for the post chick, your suit looks great, out of curiosity what scale are you using for your stuff. paperclay is amazing, i used it for some halloween decorations this year and was impressed with its versatility, i hate bondo (or the english alternative) so this is the logical step for me.
@J326, i reckon that for a 3mm coat on a helmet would use about 50-75% of a pack
@jongrnlMK2 its a great thing to work with, ive tried alsorts of projects with it and not had a problem, i would suggest having a look on youtube for Kamui Cosplay shes amazing with the stuff.
@Draakjuh, it's technicly not clay but has a good amount of flex to it and so far my stuff has'nt broke.

@erayachi, thanks for the post chick, your suit looks great, out of curiosity what scale are you using for your stuff. paperclay is amazing, i used it for some halloween decorations this year and was impressed with its versatility, i hate bondo (or the english alternative) so this is the logical step for me.
@J326, i reckon that for a 3mm coat on a helmet would use about 50-75% of a pack
@jongrnlMK2 its a great thing to work with, ive tried alsorts of projects with it and not had a problem, i would suggest having a look on youtube for Kamui Cosplay shes amazing with the stuff.
@Draakjuh, it's technicly not clay but has a good amount of flex to it and so far my stuff has'nt broke.

Thanks! And no prob. I've been working with paperclay for a while. Made a Nephenee suit from Fire Emblem with it. It's amazing stuff.

As for how much you'll need, believe it or not, it's not even that much. My helmet is 70% covered in it, and I only used about one third of one of the small packages. Looking at it financially, I covered 70% of my helmet for about $7.00. I estimate I'll need 1 of the 8oz packages for the chest piece itself, since it needs the most covering.

The smaller 8oz (227 mg) packages tend to go for $10-12 at your local Michaels or other craft store, but that's Canadian lingo. The bigger packages are about $20 (probably $16-ish US money. Yeah. Despite our dollars being almost on par, you guys get cheaper stuff. Blegh)

One package covers a lot. You don't have to put it on thickly, like angel62sir said, just 3mm or so will do. Since I've started using it, my estimate is that I'll need about 4 of the smaller packages to cover the entire suit, minus the places the don't need it (some parts of the legs and shins for example). For those not using coupons like me, that's about $50.00 for the paperclay for one suit ($42.00-45.00 American).

That's for my suit, anyway. I'm 5' 6'', so someone 6' or taller might wanna toss in an extra 8oz package.

As for cracking, no, not really. The trick is, this is more paper than it is clay. Tiny cracks will appear at times. But you don't have to worry about that. When it dries, it's essentially a very thick layer of hardened paper. Some hairline cracks appeared on part of my shoulder ;cause I sped-dried it with a space heater, but it doesn't matter. Just rub a teensy amount of watered down paperclay over them and let it dry again. Cracks-be-gone-forever.

And I won't even get started on using modge podge or gel medium. I use that stuff in layers on the outside, giving the pieces all the extra flexibility they'll need with zero risk of cracking during cosplay wear and tear. It's like giving the paperclay a force field.

...man, I have to learn how to shorten my posts.

This sounds like it would be great for people in places where they need to keep the smell down.
I'll have to grab some and play with it.

I store mine in a airtight bag to prevent it from drying (zip-lock bags :D)

Definitely in an air-tight bag or container. Or, just wrap up the end of the package it came with very tightly. I store mine that way when it's not being used, and I've not run into any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back