Using Pep as a mold for aluminum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthraxis

Jr Member
Sorry for the title, couldn't think of anything really good to describe the thread. Basically I was thinking of using Pep armour parts, cutting out pieces of aluminum in the shapes of the different polygons of the armour, sort of placing them on the pieces and welding them together, basically making a sort of solid aluminum copy of the original, then you'd take it and dish the curved parts, roll the edges and viola, you've got your spartan armour in metal. OR you could take it a few steps further and do the same thing, except out of steel.

What do you guys think?

Also, the weight of the armour - I'm sure you could wear it, have you guys ever heard of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism), basically medieval reenactment, I'm a part of it, in combat many participants wear full suits of armour, with maille and arming garb underneath, it's not going to be unbearably heavy if you design a harness system for it.

The point of this would probably just be an uber realistic spartan set.

It depends on the thickness,.. Im an aircraft structural mechanic for the navy and deal with it daily, on top of composites.

The biggest thing is are you gonna weld it, or rivet it together? If your gonna weld it, your gonna be really busy for a long time. I started a jango in metal, and stopped due to the shear time it would take, and the amount of welding I would have to do.

All I can say is good idea, but really think through this project it will be a big one!

Darth-Malevelus said:
It depends on the thickness,.. Im an aircraft structural mechanic for the navy and deal with it daily, on top of composites.

The biggest thing is are you gonna weld it, or rivet it together? If your gonna weld it, your gonna be really busy for a long time. I started a jango in metal, and stopped due to the shear time it would take, and the amount of welding I would have to do.

All I can say is good idea, but really think through this project it will be a big one!

I was thinking of welding, hmm, riveting could be a good idea aswell, I have experience with that. I can probably use some flat-ish headed rivets, I didn't really think of the time it would take to weld, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arthraxis said:
I was thinking of welding, hmm, riveting could be a good idea aswell, I have experience with that. I can probably use some flat-ish headed rivets, I didn't really think of the time it would take to weld, thanks.

Yeah, sorry to say this has been thought of before and usually people give up on it as there are easier/cheaper methods, but if you have the patience(and LOTS of money, cause aluminum isn't cheap these days) go for it. Also, if you wanted to be uber realistic, use Ti. Good luck, either way.

-Magnum

As a long time SCA armorer, I would recommend steering clear of aluminum for something that complicated. Look at the number of individual "pieces" there would be if a pep base was used. Aluminum can get extremely brittle if overworked and multiple weld points will only exacerbate that. I would recommend a test mule in either cold rolled steel or even stainless (18 gauge or 16 maximum). It will be easier to weld, easier to dish, easier to grind, and will still give you a great result if completed properly. If nothing else it will give you an idea of what you are in for...

I would be very interested in seeing your progess if you move forward with the project - Good Luck!

if you use any kind of metal isn't that going to be extremely heavy?? if you really wanted to make mc armor out of aluminum, couldn't you just make a mould and pur in some melted aluminum?? (if you had the right equipment.)

lizander said:
if you use any kind of metal isn't that going to be extremely heavy?? if you really wanted to make mc armor out of aluminum, couldn't you just make a mould and pur in some melted aluminum?? (if you had the right equipment.)

People think that metal is extremely heavy. It wont be much heavier than, let's say a suit of armour used in the SCA, maybe even lighter. Also, If I start on this project I would also probably make it out of 18g steel as it wouldn't be used in combat, but rather for display and light wearing. First I have alot of other projects to do first, like a set of spaulders and a mac bible helmet.

Dogwizard - Are you by any chance a part of www.armourarchive.org?

Arthraxis said:
People think that metal is extremely heavy. It wont be much heavier than, let's say a suit of armour used in the SCA, maybe even lighter. Also, If I start on this project I would also probably make it out of 18g steel as it wouldn't be used in combat, but rather for display and light wearing. First I have alot of other projects to do first, like a set of spaulders and a mac bible helmet.

Dogwizard - Are you by any chance a part of www.armourarchive.org?

No - when I was active the internet was still fairly shiny and new. I was heavily involved in the East Kingdom for years before I moved down to Trimaris. Squired to Sir Arnwulf Aethelredding, I had the honor to fight with and befriend a good chunk of the heavy-hitters at the time (Lucan, Balfar, Hans, Edwin - all most honorable peers) I was one of the few during that period who went in for the shiny, clanky full steel as opposed to barrel plastic and a tabard. Since then I really haven't done much although I recently restrapped my kit and have been trying to get back into it... Someday...

Soemone tried making the top of their AR aluminum and it didnt go well, too hard just for a small section, we tried, we failed, wont work on armor unless you custom cut out the pieces, pep is too difficult if your going to weld metal.

I built an entire Jango out of aluminum a few years ago. The helmet was fiberglass but the rest was aluminum. I would never do that again. There was no real benefit to it other than me saying that I did it. It was a nightmare and I've got an entire shop at my disposal....never again.

You on the other hand may have more patience that I did. :D

Jano fett's armor is mostly flat or slightly rounded body plates, bending aluminum lightly is easy, but making folds as accurate as paper, impossible.

Frost, i beg to differ, with an extremly well put together pep model with symetrical folds and angles, its possible to do the same thing we do with cardstock with aluminum sheet metal and a break.

Wow, all I can say is good luck man.
That's gonna be hard. Very hard. I mean I've thought of metal armor, but never really thought about attempting it, but you are gonna go for it. (b'_')b

AoBfrost said:
Jano fett's armor is mostly flat or slightly rounded body plates, bending aluminum lightly is easy, but making folds as accurate as paper, impossible.

He He,

The jango is all compound curves, theirs nothing easy about that! Especially while using .080" T-6 aluminum aircraft grade metal.

how bout you cast the aluminum. make a detailed styrofoam model of whatever piece you want and then encase it in sand.....pour in liquid AL and let harden, bingo your done(not cheap or quick or easy) but its perfect

Damn, why do I always miss the good threads?

I'm in the SCA, too, and I've done a lot of armoring. I think my kit is about 80% self-built, I'm slowly replacing everything with my own stuff as it wears out.
I'm in Trimaris, the barony of Oldenfeld in Tallahassee.

I like the ideas you have, but I think it might be too time-consuming. If you do this, I think the way to go is plain mild steel, maybe .1-.125" thick. You'd need a nice TIG setup and be pretty good. It is possible in aluminum.. but very time consuming, and much, much easier to mess up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back