Vac forming a visor with two-way mirrored acrylic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumption 117

I've been wracking my brain how I'm going to vac form MC H4's visor once I get around to it and am thinking of ordering this from the US:
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/two_way_mirrored_acrylic/558

Has anyone seen this product before and has had any experience vac forming with mirrored acrylic? I'm not sure if the film / coating would shrink due to heat or crinkle.

The other issue is how to tint the mirrored acrylic the standard amber orange - any ideas?

Well...I know close to nothing about the plastics used in vac forming. But I've seen builders use rit dye to dye their visors whichever color they want. Then to solve the mirror issue, some use mirrachrome which is very expensive. One user mentioned using Aclad II chrome, a cheaper alternative. Isn't acrylic flammable? If it is, it could cause some problems with vac forming.

This website apparently shows some of the plastics that can be used for vac forming but I would need someone who has actual knowledge on this to confirm these plastics are vac forming friendly.

Well...I know close to nothing about the plastics used in vac forming. But I've seen builders use rit dye to dye their visors whichever color they want. Then to solve the mirror issue, some use mirrachrome which is very expensive. One user mentioned using Aclad II chrome, a cheaper alternative. Isn't acrylic flammable? If it is, it could cause some problems with vac forming.

This website apparently shows some of the plastics that can be used for vac forming but I would need someone who has actual knowledge on this to confirm these plastics are vac forming friendly.

Thanks Frozensnot, definitely so food for thought!

The mirror finish is definitely the biggest concern for me, as the vac forming component is a formality really. Acrylic sheeting can be used for vac forming but the area should be well ventilated.

I found a tutorial using Aclad II chrome HERE, but I don't know if by doing this would turn the visor opaque.
If this technique is possible, then I'd just get clear plexiglass / acrylic and vac form with the latest coat of paint being a burnt orange for the visor colour.

if you two can point me to a pep of the MC H4 helmet that has the visor details already inside of them i can tell/show you how to make an HD chromatic see-thru visor for about $10-$20. Ive been trying to put a tutorial together for a while now but i can never find one.

if you two can point me to a pep of the MC H4 helmet that has the visor details already inside of them i can tell/show you how to make an HD chromatic see-thru visor for about $10-$20. Ive been trying to put a tutorial together for a while now but i can never find one.
There's a few molded MC H4 helmets running around that I've noticed. I haven't kept my eye out for a pepped helmet though. I was going to make a buck for the visor to vac form it, but I'd have to start building the helmet first.
What method of treating the visor do you have?

The acrylic sheets won't work. When you vacuum form something, it stretches and pulls the plastic around the mold. That will completely destroy the coating on the sheet, and defeating the purpose.

You could try using Redshirt's tutorial, if you have an airbrush. I used it on mine, and it works great. You just have to be careful. That way you could still vacuum form a custom visor, and have a mirror like surface. It isn't a perfect mirror, but it does stop people from being able to see in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back