Vegas Vader's Db V2 Iron Man Helmet Casts

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegas vader

i dunno if you are all tired of seeing Iron Man helmets being made, but i am here to show my progress so far:) the helmet is originally scaled to 265cm i have a 24 inch head the helmet fits me perfectly. and it was so easy to put together.

DSC07630.jpg

i reinforced the helmet by adding smooth cast 320 to further reinforce the helmet. the amazing thing about this type of resin is that the paper soaks it up very well and that it would be easier to sand high areas down.

DSC07666.jpg

DSC07659.jpg

DSC07668.jpg

i am almost done refining the brow here are some close up photos of the work that was done.:happy i hope to make this helmet as sharp and as symmetrical as possible. i am thinking of opening up the face plate.. then it will turn into a 3 piece helmet molded separately. any suggestions?

DSC07683.jpg

DSC07685.jpg

DSC07684.jpg

ok now ive started making the mold. im down to the 4th layer using rebound 25. getting ready to make the mohawk i am just waiting for the last layer to cure. i will mix up the fifth batch of rubber with thi vex 2 to make the rubber into a peanut butter like consistency for the mohawk.

first layer "print layer"

DSC07700.jpg

second layer

DSC07705.jpg

third layer

DSC07706.jpg

fourth layer

DSC07707.jpg

ok now ive made the keys for the mold i will give this at least 24 hours to set before i start adding the fiberglass jacket. then i will demold it on thursday then try getting the first pull out.:$hbaby

DSC07710.jpg

DSC07709.jpg

DSC07708.jpg

update!!:happy just popped out two raw casts today!!:happy they look great!! the first cast came out perfect with minimal clean up work! second one didnt turn out ok cause i forgot to plug in one of the keys. easy fix tho! let me know what you think!:cool

here's the mold

DSC07715.jpg

DSC07716.jpg

and the master next to the raw casts

DSC07711.jpg

DSC07712.jpg

cheers!!

Ian

Bro! sickness! those are great! question! (they usually come with GREAT work sorry) how much did the silicone cost? did you coat the outside and inside with the smooth cast only? then sand that down? or did you use a fiberglass and (toxic) resin to reenforce it first?

tarchinoko said:
simply amazing dude, Can I just ask one question... How did you add the screw details?

i made separate casts for the screws then added it to the master before molding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome job man. two thumbs up!

What pep file is the one you used? (really digging how the base of the skull looks)

ureeka said:
Awesome job man. two thumbs up!

What pep file is the one you used? (really digging how the base of the skull looks)

It's Dungbeetle's new one. I unfolded it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Im curious to know more about the process of using smooth cast 320 for your hardening. After the pep work was done, you just went right to smooth cast? Did you resin it first or what was the process? Also, did you then use some kind of filler afterwards or was it strictly paper and then smooth cast?

Great work by the way! Looks fantastic!!

Where can I learn more about the casting/mold process. I understand that you coat it 4 times, then made the keys, but after that I lose the concept. The mohawk is two parts bolted together which is figerglassed? But does then entire mold split when its pulled or?

what did you use for bondo on the outside of the helmet. i am preparing to do mine and need some more tips for what bondo to use! or in that bondo at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back