Veritech017's Weta Odst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritech017

Jr Member
First off I'd like to thank Skullcandy Girl, Ruze789, and Belakor for the great work on the files. I'd also like to thank 1ManBattallion for the work on the groin plate.

With that aside, I can now show what I've been working on since early December. And I must apologize for the bad quality of the pictures, my good camera was dropped so the only working on I have on hand is a 4.1 megapixel camera.

IMG_0004.jpg

Here is the plates and pouches which will be on the front of the torso. I also have the shoulder pieces and hip plates in the picture. And down there you can see the groin plate, which is a must have for all ODST builders and only takes a few minutes to cut and put together, you can see it here.

IMG_0005.jpg

Here's a close up of the hip plates, which despite their size are a piece of work to put together.

IMG_0007.jpg

The full torso piece, back pouches, and the helmet sneaking into the shot.

IMG_0006.jpg

The gauntlets.

IMG_0003.jpg

The lower back pieces.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

The hip and knee pieces.

IMG_0010.jpg

A full boot piece.

IMG_0012.jpg

A front view of the helmet.

IMG_0011.jpg

A nice side profile of the helmet.

Once I finish the other boot I'll be complete with all the pep work for the ODST. Today I also have smooth cast 300 coming, since I live in the northwest and we're currently undergoing Snowpacolypse 2008-2009 and it's just too cold to fiber glass save for three months of the year. So tonight I should be able to get the helmet, torso, and gauntlets done in plastic.

WOW! Amazing! Everythings looking good so far... now if only I can get my pep pieces done too! :) Can't wait to see this finished.

Veritech017 said:
Once I finish the other boot I'll be complete with all the pep work for the ODST. Today I also have smooth cast 300 coming, since I live in the northwest and we're currently undergoing Snowpacolypse 2008-2009 and it's just too cold to fiber glass save for three months of the year. So tonight I should be able to get the helmet, torso, and gauntlets done in plastic.

You're lucky, here it's snow time 6 months per year ;)

And since when 4.1 MP is bad? I still have a 125k camera :D

Last edited by a moderator:
OOO me like ill be watching this W.i.P : Another Helljumper will rise. Ready to jump to hell! Im with you Veritech! Right behind you!!

Very nice. If I did that much pep my fingers would be bleeding or stuck together, probably both. Keep up the good work cant wait to see the finished pieces.

That's looking very nice mate! I think I made the grion plate a pee bit too big, you might wonna redo it and make it smaller. Also you may want to try my new Smoothed ODST Torso Good luck with the rest of Build mate!

1ManBattalion said:
That's looking very nice mate! I think I made the grion plate a pee bit too big, you might wonna redo it and make it smaller. Also you may want to try my new Smoothed ODST Torso Good luck with the rest of Build mate!

Actually it's the right size, just judging by reference pictures, the groin plate is as wide as the belt plate is.

Confucious T said:
Ohhh, very nice. The arms are a bit of a hassle sometimes, right?

The arms had a very weird "dip" on the raised elbow piece that will need to be covered later, and getting them to maintain shape was a hassle which I handled with a practical amount of electrical tape.

*Minor Update*​

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

I was able to spend some time using the smooth-cast on my helmet. It turned out very well with no warping at all and very few leak spots. The faceplate even held in allowing me to remove the electrical tape.

Next I'll be doing the same for the torso piece, but I need to make a cast of my body so I can get the proper shape. Thankfully I've got a trick to do cheap casts using plastic wrap and packaging tape. So after a trip to the dentist for a lost filling I can hopefully get the torso done.

I also didn't order near enough smooth-cast, so I've either got to find a decent alternative or order up some more.

Yay, another member using SC 300 cast from pep. How much did you use in your helmet? I used all of the 16 oz trial for mine.

Remraf said:
Yay, another member using SC 300 cast from pep. How much did you use in your helmet? I used all of the 16 oz trial for mine.

I used about half of a trial sized bottle. I'm assuming I did a good job on my cast because even the edges around the neck are really solid.

Moving on into new pictures!

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0005-1.jpg

IMG_0006-1.jpg

IMG_0007-1.jpg

I did the torso, gauntlets, greeblies, and lower-center chest piece in smooth-cast. All of them turned out good and durable (accidentally dropped one of the gauntlets a good ten feet so it's safe to say durable).

And I have even more pictures! But first a bit of explaining, yes I did these pieces in truck bed liner, and no you can't find stuff this strong in a store. I used the backpads which I deemed not worth the effort or time as test pieces, so when they survived I had the rest of it sprayed.

IMG_0008-1.jpg

IMG_0010-1.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

IMG_0012-1.jpg

IMG_0013-1.jpg

IMG_0014-1.jpg

The pieces are now like a durable rubber cast, which causes a bit of warping but can be easily fixed by holding the object in a certain position. The pieces that will be covered in cloth are done at this stage, and obviously just need cloth on them. I do have a bit of smoothing to do on the other pieces as the bed liner has a rough texture.

I haven't done anything with the boot yet, I still need to start on the second boot today, but I've been a little side tracked with a second project and gathering up stuff for my undersuit. Hopefully if I can get the time in I can get the stuff that has been smooth-casted sanded down over the weekend so I can spend next week working with bondo for detailing.

Looking great! I had gotten around to resin the pieces, but after alot of set backs, I placed my project on hold. Great work though. Love to see this fully assembled.

Great armor! But is it the truck bed liner or the smoot-cast that cant be found in stores and which one is more durable?
Also, I was wondering, how or where did you get the files for the WETA ODST Armor?
I'm Thinking of making the Weta instead of the Halo2 version.

TrackerXNinjaX said:
Great armor! But is it the truck bed liner or the smoot-cast that cant be found in stores and which one is more durable?
Also, I was wondering, how or where did you get the files for the WETA ODST Armor?
I'm Thinking of making the Weta instead of the Halo2 version.

Neither. The bed liner that is on my pieces can only be done in a professional shop, and smooth-cast has to be ordered off the internet unless an art store near you carries it.

link4044 said:
why did you use bed liner for?

Because it's currently 30 degrees out, so resin and fiberglass is out of the question and I don't feel like waiting until July to finish my armor.

The bed liner is as hard as plastic, and it was free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back