Videos - Making foam forearms and paint job

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mark the pieces Im going to cut on the foam. Then I put the Clear Seal on the large piece of flat foam. Then I cut the pieces out. Then I hot glue them together, then fill gaps and last, I paint the full piece.

Ive been meaning to make a video showing these exact steps, but life is in my way lol.

Looking forward to a video^^ I was thinking of getting my hands dirty on a foam build over the winter to keep me busy.

Its totally worth it! Foam is EASY! I put off trying it for waaayyyy too long. You can make more than 1 piece in a day if youre motivated with no problem. Those forearms would only have taken maybe an hour a piece if I werent doing other things at the same time.

Well, if youve watched my videos, watch BenStreepers next. His are better IMO and have more info. Also if you havent read the stickies in the noob forum, read them. Its worth it, youll learn a ton just from those topics.

i liked the videos man very nice although i think you coulda spliced them together, i'll tell ya wat you made me bite my lip when you started doing the weathering, the whole thinner eating at the paint can be solve with a few layers of clear coat gloss, then after the weathering you spray it with clear coat flat... personialy i paint with an airbrush so it might be different

The thinner doesnt eat the paint, it just makes it watery so I can wipe most of it off easy. With water base paints, I thin with water and get the same effect.

The thinner doesnt eat the paint, it just makes it watery so I can wipe most of it off easy. With water base paints, I thin with water and get the same effect.
, i know what you're getting at... you thin out the paint so you can wipe off the excess paint and only get the high points... i'm saying if you use too much thinner it could eat away at the red and black paints underneith, like i said i airbrush with testors paint and not that krylone crapola, i learn all my stuff from scale modeling from my dad's scratchbuilds and he learn it from Shepard Paine

Well I dont get that problem. The foam is coated in a sticky rubbery sealant which the paint will not come off of. Anyway, it works for me and I get good results. It may not work for everyone.

Those are some helpful vids. I have a couple foam crafting tips:
As a matter of preference I use silver hammered metal for a primer and acrylic paint for blackwashing as it is water based.
For areas of the armor where the pep file has a seam (or join) but the reference picture shows a smooth seam you can join the patterns prior to cutting the foam. Afterwards you carve out the back of the foam along that seam to achieve your final shape.
A heatgun also works wonders for the rounded areas.
Happy armoring!

Hi, I would like to contact nintendude - anyone have an email address or blog - trying to find him is like trying to find rockin horse turd :) cheers guys :)

Freaking AMAZING! this was a very informational tutorial, Kinda wish I knew this method when I made my reach suit.

Looking for Nintendudes email for you!

Thanks for the compliments guys, Im glad you got something useful out of it!

where did u get ur foam? is there a specific place where they sell foam with different thickness? not online stores though

where did u get ur foam? is there a specific place where they sell foam with different thickness? not online stores though
Most people get them from Walmart or Harbor Freight, and some others. I don't know if there's different thickness, most people just glue the foam at different levels to show thickness.

Most people get them from Walmart or Harbor Freight, and some others. I don't know if there's different thickness, most people just glue the foam at different levels to show thickness.

ok thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back