Vincentallen2's Mjolnir Mark VI Helmet (W.I.P) (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincentallen2

Jr Member
Hello everyone! Its vincentallen2, Im back again!
Some of you may remember me from when the craft/eva foam craze started. I initially joined 405th.com and started a recon helmet with cardstock, but i was still learning and it didnt turn out well :( Then i stopped that one and began a recon helmet with craft foam, which was going really great! I came home one day and found my piece of work smashed and stepped all over on floor, it turned out one of my family members "needed to use the Manichean head reeeaaallly badly". Without telling too much detail, someone got a good beatdown that night:angry. I was able to slightly repair it, but craft foam is so thin, that damage it received gave it a permanent warpage. Since then, I got an awesome job and started my (long @$$) process of joining the Air Force.
TorranceDayParadeAttention.jpg

NOW ON TO THE MJOLNIR!
Day 1:
Ive been reading some of the forums on here 3 weeks prior to this, soaking up as much knowledge and remembering as many techniques as possibly could before starting. I found MrOreo123's Mk VI thread/WIP and his remodeled and smoothened pdo files and became very intrigued by them. I downloaded his smoothened version on D4L's HD helmet. It reminds alot of Macattack's smoothened recon helmet. Big thanks to Mroreo123! I hope I do your files justice.

Day 2: What i like most about Mroreos files are that he has the pages and pieces arranged by how they are supposed to be assembled, which makes it cutting and assembling a breeze, opposed to cutting through multiple pages just to assemble one part of your armor. I remember on my cardstock Recon helmet that one of the biggest cause of it looking "Anorexic" is that i didnt score alot of my lines and that i didnt allign the numbers correctly, so this time around my main focus was to score my lines with a dull knife BEFORE cutting any of pieces out of the paper and maintain perfect symmetry with the adjacent numbers when assembling.
IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

Day 3:
probably one of the hardest days, Mroreo123 had said that this version was a little hard due to the overall curvature of the helmet and the re-smoothened modifications. The Hardest parts were the side scoops on the top half of the helmet (both left and right), the front brim, and that awkward dip thing on the back of the helmet above the back rim (I hate that dip :angry)
IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

Day 4:
Today is day 4, I finished the back, left and right sides. I borrowed (stole) the idea of using my extra craft foam to make the raised details on the under brim. I say im about 85% done, all i have left are 4 pages (the mouth and the visor). I chose to post the thread today because I wanted to make sure I could even do the MK VI, plus I wanted to make sure the helmet even looked good enough to post on here.
IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

Well thats it for right now, im going to McDonalds, pick up some sandwiches, stuff 'em down my throat, and get back to the helmet.:p

Pep work looks good, adding the craft foam at this stage is interesting, not sure i've seen that before but i could be wrong lol. Keep at it :)

Pep work looks good, adding the craft foam at this stage is interesting, not sure i've seen that before but i could be wrong lol. Keep at it :)

Thanks, Im trying to do the best I can :)
Yeah, I got the craft foam idea from Mroreo123. In his progress, he added the craft foam on onto the cardstock then resined, fiberglassed, and a rondo/smooth-on mixture. The results came out pretty awesome! I plan on using other methods after the pepakura stage because i dont have the funds for Smooth-on.

Hay 405th! Im back. I finished the Pepakura portion of this project. Heres how the days that I actually worked on it went as I progressed:

Day 5:
Well Day 5 was going well. My initial plan was to finish the Pep this night, but the electrical cord on my glue gun ripped and the electricity ended up burning my hand a little. No Spartan is without battle scars. I was forced to stop until the next day.
IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

Day 6:
Woke up that morning and bought myself a brand new glue gun with a pack of hot glue stick from my local dollar store. the best $2 I spent in a while (again =P). Later that night/early this morning, i finished peping my helmet. I was very proud of myself, since this is (technically) the only pepakura work that I was able to finish without someone destroying my work, or it turn out being anorexic =P it gave me a really great warm feeling inside =D.
IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

I opted not to glue in the visor, since I read that it cuts out the process of cutting it out later. I now have to find a good deal on a fiberglass resin kit (the starter one with the mat and resin included) and auto body filler. If someone has bought one of these kits, would the kit be able to resin and fiberglass the whole helmet? Im kinda limited on funds since I have to pay for other things.

So, tell me what you think so far. I can take more pictures of different angles of it if needed.

Looks great! I recently started my own Mk VI as well and I'm about the same stage as you, though I have not tried the foam elements. Thought of a color scheme yet?

Thanks! color scheme.... that's where i'm teetering right now. I don't want to be "Just Another Master Chief" but i do want people to recognize me when i'm showing it off (If you know what i mean). I'm thinking the standard Master Chief green, but its definitely not going to be battle damaged (I'll explain that when i get to that stage).

Well I can't wait to see how things turn out. I'm thinking of using blue as my main, black secondary and red details.

Thanks. If I wasnt going for a straight uniform type of look, i'd pick a color scheme similar to that (it kinda reminds me of Carters colors from reach) =]

Yup, it should end up similar to that. Have any personal customization ideas?

Well I'm definitely going to some how include two. One of them being a lightning fist symbol =P(which is also the career symbol for the job I want in the archive Air Force) and I'm going to make a Tact-Pad section on my left gauntlet.

I have other ideas, but I want to see how well I do on this helmet before I turn this thread into a full armor w.I.p :)

Sent from my HTC Kingdom using Tapatalk 2

I would actually recommend doing the visor, the risk of warping is too great not to. 10 minutes may save you several days of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back