Visor Fogging Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redgeneral

Hey guys I've just completed my ODST Weta Helmet. It's all painted and has the visor mounted in it and everything. But I'm having a lot of trouble with the visor fogging up. Is there any good way to add vents or a good location for vents. Thanks.

Redgeneral said:
Hey guys I've just completed my ODST Weta Helmet. It's all painted and has the visor mounted in it and everything. But I'm having a lot of trouble with the visor fogging up. Is there any good way to add vents or a good location for vents. Thanks.

Scuba divers do one of two things.

Use a product called De-fog or No-fog. it's a non-toxic water solvable liquid you can apply to the visor with your fingers and it will stop the fogging.

Or you can spit on it... Saliva will put a film on your visor that won't fog, but your helmet might smell like your lunch! (not a problem with goggles :))

You might also try hand soap like dial. I've heard that does the same trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no clue if this would actually work... but worth a shot?

Make your own anti-fog solution.

Either way, it's likely to find a fair priced anti-fog spray at your local automotive store as it's commonly used for windows in cars as well as visors on motorcycle helmets and whatnot.

i've often wondered about using a nosecup inside a helmet to keep it from fogging. im a firefighter and our air masks would fog, but we have a seal around our nose and mouth built in. it wouldnt be hard to test, all respirators have an appropriate nosecup on them- you would have to line the intake/exhalation ports up with a source of outside air (vents) or you would feel like you are suffocating. i'd test my theory myself but my visor is still on the way via the snail mail.

You could add ventilation fans where the vents are just on top of your temporal muscles (above ahead your ear). Since Heat rises, the heat/humidity will rise and be vented out through the vents, but you need a fan to do this. i used a mini fan from an old hard drive, but you can get fans from radioshack. I would also try the other solutions as well.

chwbcc said:
Scuba divers do one of two things.

Use a product called De-fog or No-fog. it's a non-toxic water solvable liquid you can apply to the visor with your fingers and it will stop the fogging.

Or you can spit on it... Saliva will put a film on your visor that won't fog, but your helmet might smell like your lunch! (not a problem with goggles :) )

You might also try hand soap like dial. I've heard that does the same trick.

For some reason I just want to puke after you said the saliva trick and making your helmet smell like what you ate. Ugghhhhhh..

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when I use to play paintball I used a make-shift de-fogger. It was just a simple mixture of water and dish soap (I forgot the ratio). You can probably do a quick search online for free de-fogging methods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back