Visor help

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, I just got my gold visor that I ordered off ebay in today. It's still in the tight-plastic wrap, but it seems a bit big. It also seems flimsy, like I could break it easily, I know that's not the case though because these things are suppost to stand up to debris going at 80+ miles per hour on the high-way, so it should be strong.

Anyways, how exactly should I go about getting inside? Is there a special method? I don't want to break anything by experimenting, I still have to resin the helm though, so I have a bit of time before I actually put it inside, I figure I can just cut the visor pep piece with a knife or something when I am ready to install the visor.

PillowFire said:
ok, I just got my gold visor that I ordered off ebay in today. It's still in the tight-plastic wrap, but it seems a bit big. It also seems flimsy, like I could break it easily, I know that's not the case though because these things are suppost to stand up to debris going at 80+ miles per hour on the high-way, so it should be strong.

Anyways, how exactly should I go about getting inside? Is there a special method? I don't want to break anything by experimenting, I still have to resin the helm though, so I have a bit of time before I actually put it inside, I figure I can just cut the visor pep piece with a knife or something when I am ready to install the visor.

If you have the paper already coated with resin, and hopefully you're thinking about adding fiberglass to the inside, you can cut the paper visor out. And you add the visor from the inside after the helmet is painted and everything. The visor is the last part. Leave it in the plastic until you have to trim it. Keeps it from getting scratched while you're working. Make sure you leave a "lip" of plastic all around or you risk not having enough visor in the end to cover the opening :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I havn't actually coated it with resin yet, it's still pepakura, right now I am just leaving the paper visor section alone for structural support, I may also go back and add a few cardboard pillars.

I don't really get what you mean with the "lip" of plastic thing, also, am I suppost to cut the visor into shape? Or just install as is, and if so, what tools should I use to cut?

a rotary dremel tool can cut the visor easily.

you should cut it into shape, the face shield isnt gona fit in your helmet if yo just shove it in there.
BUT
what CPU64 means about the lip is that yo should make it like about an inch bigger than the visor space is

PillowFire said:

that's exactly how it's supposed to feel, a face shield on a motorcycle helmet only feels rigid because the two endpoints are fixed, minimizing flex ability. and as far as size goes, just cut it down with a dremel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back