Visor that changes from clear to fully tinted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devious

I was reading my popular science magazine when I came across something that I knew I should post here.

What it is is a motorcycle visor that automatically tints when exposed to UV rays, ie. sunlight. This reminded me of the visor in the ODST live action trailer, that went from clear to tinted just before the ODST went into combat. The visor has a coating sensitive to UV rays that will darken the more that are present. Then I got to thinking, if somebody wanted to make this tint automatically, when indoors where there is less UV for example, you could put UV Leds behind the visor, and turn them on when you want to change from clear to tinted.

The visors are $100, a bit pricey, but would be cool for somebody who wanted to go all out on their suit.

They can be found at http://www.shieldtechllc.com

Tell me what ya think!

These visors sound like the "transition lenses" used in glasses. The UV leds is a brillent idea because they never fully black out inside.

Oh, very cool. Yes, it's probably the same tech as in transitions lenses. I wonder how fast they change? Way too pricey for me for one visor, but I'll bet there's someone around here who wants to try. :D Thanks for sharing this.

Sean Bradley had a regular visor, and installed LEDs inside of it, so when he turnt it on, you could see his face. The helmet sold for over 2000$. Here is the link:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is real tinting that actually goes away, that's the difference.

Not to take anything away from SB.

Sean Bradley had a regular visor, and installed LEDs inside of it, so when he turnt it on, you could see his face. The helmet sold for over 2000$. Here is the link:

that is a pretty cool helmet he made

UV leds in your face doesn't sound good for your eyes, if you ask me. Besides SB's idea is cheaper and pretty easy to do.

I guess I wasn't very clear. I like Sean Bradley's idea with the normal leds.

While Devious's idea with the UV sensitive visor that acts like transition glasses, isn't as appealing. Cost of the visors in question aside, there is a reason we wear sunglasses outside, the same reason this visor reacts to UV light, to protect our eyes. So shining UV Leds inside your helmet, on your face and eyes, doesn't sound like such a hot idea.

LED's don't emit Ultraviolet rays. The suns damage is much different to damage that LED's cause. The sun's rays mutate skin cells causing melanoma growths. So when you don't wear sunglasses, the rays damage your cornea (A special bit in your eye). Whereas LED's emit light that is on a different wavelength. So the only damage that LED's can cause you were if you were to get tons of super bright ones and hold them right up to your eye with full brightness. Also, I don't think Sean Bradley's helmet lights shine directly into his eyes. Hope this helps. :)

BTW, I'm not a doctor or anything, this is just what I learnt in science last year so it may not be 100% correct :)

It's called Transtion glass or lenses. They first appeared in glasses. But that's not why I'm here. I have an '05 Chevy Malibu Maxx, but I'm sure other cars have these too. My rearview mirror darkens when a small sensor sees light. I sure with the right info you could refine this concept into the visor glass. The reason I bring this up is because after about 2 years the transtion effect doesn't work as fast or as stong with what you're talking about. My glasses almost never darken anymore. Hope this helps.

Oh and the transtion hits full effect after about 30 seconds when BRAND NEW. Like I said earlier, it will take longer as it gets older.

There is a company in the US that makes a motorcycle helmet lends that changes from clear to black fairly quickly. All battery powered.

Here is a video

I have a feeling if you were to cut the visor up to match your helmet it wouldn't work the way it would need to afterwards. At least that's my best guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back