Visor....

Status
Not open for further replies.

timonemycat

Jr Member
I've been taking a close look at the reference pictures of MVI MC armor, and I just cant get over the fact that the visor is curved two ways. It would be SO EPIC if there was a way to make our visors do that exact same thing. The HJC visors are good, but I want better! Has anyone ever successfully made a visor curved in two directions?

11210997-Full.jpg

Yea, I have been thinking about the same thing and I really want to know if anyone have done a visor curved in two directions o_O

I'm going to be doing a very large visor for my Daft Punk build; its going to be vacuum-formed PETG plastic.

Rube made a very nice vac-form visor for his ODST help, in the Elite section. The only problem for a MKVI would be the gold tinting... and that requires vacuum-metalizing, which is quite costly. For regular tints, people have experimented with dyes and spray-on coatings, but I don't know of one for chrome-finish gold.

DerKraken said:
I'm going to be doing a very large visor for my Daft Punk build; its going to be vacuum-formed PETG plastic.

Rube made a very nice vac-form visor for his ODST help, in the Elite section. The only problem for a MKVI would be the gold tinting... and that requires vacuum-metalizing, which is quite costly. For regular tints, people have experimented with dyes and spray-on coatings, but I don't know of one for chrome-finish gold.
Exactly what I was going to say. You should talk with Rube about his vac-formed visor; I'm sure he would help you out if you wanted to make the investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
DerKraken said:
...The only problem for a MKVI would be the gold tinting... and that requires vacuum-metalizing, which is quite costly...
Actually, loess posted something about a homebuilt vacuum metalizer a while back.
I probably wouldn't want to spend the time, effort, and money if I was just tinting 1 visor, but...
I'm not sure, but it may not be THAT costly.

Also, what do you mean by curved in 2 directions, do you mean it's spherical?
You MIGHT be able to add in that extra curve with a heatgun (as sigma LS suggested (although that was for ODST)).
You also MIGHT wreck your visor, but it may be worth a shot.

box o crayons said:
he means the visor goes out of the helmet it's from the bottom then curves out then back in to the top
That's what I THOUGHT, but I wasn't sure...
But yeah, maybe you could get a ball (or other spherical object) that has the roundness you want your visor to have, heat the visor with a heat gun and press it to the object.
Seems like the easiest solution to me, if you're REALLY that uncomfortable with it.

timonemycat said:
I've been taking a close look at the reference pictures of MVI MC armor, and I just cant get over the fact that the visor is curved two ways. It would be SO EPIC if there was a way to make our visors do that exact same thing. The HJC visors are good, but I want better! Has anyone ever successfully made a visor curved in two directions?

I think lengendary armor is making there own visor but I havent seen any update in awhile and there stuff is incredible

You can also plastic mold it, someone should make a visor .pdo model and so then we can mold it, and then take a orange tint and HAZA! :)
Here's a video of how to make plastic molds, just an example of what I mean.

Yeah i teant a spherical curve to it. but feom what it sounds like, its not worth it really. it was an interesting idea though..

As many have said, getting the curves is not the hard part, there are plenty of methods for that. It is getting it to have a gold reflective surface is the hard part.

You can buy visors that already have a compound curve to them. Then just use the regular double-visor method with 2.

However they usually cost about $45 though I have seen some cheapies for $15. Still much better than a vac visor you have to pay $400 to custom tint.

Nirvana said:
You can also plastic mold it, someone should make a visor .pdo model and so then we can mold it, and then take a orange tint and HAZA! :)
Here's a video of how to make plastic molds, just an example of what I mean.

But how can you see through it. Plus, you can use a HJC visor and curve it with a heating gun, like a lot of members * Sigma Ls*. And, the visors are perfectly good, i mean you can curve it or it already has a curve, then you dual visor it. I mean how perfect can it get? :D

TSM

randomman said:
Actually, loess posted something about a homebuilt vacuum metalizer a while back.
I probably wouldn't want to spend the time, effort, and money if I was just tinting 1 visor, but...
I'm not sure, but it may not be THAT costly.

Actually, me & Loess were going back & forth about how to do a homegrown vapor dep lab and found out that in order to do it right it would cost about $3800 as $3500 will buy you the vacuum pump that you need for this and then you'll need the rest to build the chamber, get the electrical system and the tungsten boats right, and of course you'll need the gold wire to evaporate onto the visor which is about $20/inch.

I've been doing a lot of research on the vapor deposition method to get the gold tint effect, and from I can tell it would probably cost at least 500 dollars minimum IF you were able to find scrap parts, weld the chamber together yourself, plumb it correctly, and get an adequate seal. I'm planning on doing some tests on whether or not 18 carat gold paint can be somehow diluted down and buffed into a half mirror finish that may let light through and hope to have some info ready sometime soon.

Sigma-LS said:
You can buy visors that already have a compound curve to them. Then just use the regular double-visor method with 2.

However they usually cost about $45 though I have seen some cheapies for $15. Still much better than a vac visor you have to pay $400 to custom tint.

Also, about the $45 visors, I'm sure you could pick something like that for very cheap at some type of surplus store. I got a 360 Controller for $25 at one!

cant you just buy car window tint and put it on the vacuum formed lens???
because thats what i did with mi paintball lens

It can be done with angular surfaces, like the ODST helmet, but most of the other helmet variants are to rounded to allow for a smooth application of the film without wrinkles, and I don't think its possible to somehow cut a pattern out and apply it without visible seams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back