Visors for helmets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since printing this one out I discovered that most plastics are HYDROSCOPIC... That means that there is a water content in the polymer itself so if you heat up (especialy clear) the moisture content forms steam bubbles in the thickness of the lense itself... best way to fix this is to do a low heat drying session 1mm thick plastic use low temp maybe 80 to 100 degrees for about 4 to 6 hours in the oven... I did my 6 mm lexan "polycarbonate lense for 26 hours at 150 degrees... there wasn't anything noticeable over this time... I put a lot of tin foil down in case it oozed overnight. when I was all set up with my mold and vacuum I bumped it up to 215 degrees. before the oven thermostat went off I had good sag in my framed hot sheet and with the vac already running on the molding base I pulled straight from the oven and pushed it fast and hard onto the plug and kept the pressure on..... only one slight stress line otherwise very pleasing..... Ok the plug was pepped from robogenesi's files I think and with lots of resin\filler outside with the expanded foam inside it did take me a few repairs after filling and sanding as the plug has to be perfect. I did the gold window tint on the inside of the lense and outside with the heat gun and came to the conclusion it won't work. I'd like to hear if anybody's tried this way too View attachment 25989View attachment 25990

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back