vshore100's CQB build (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you given any thought to adding details to your undersuit (shoulders, elbows, and hips) where they are open?

Got any awesome props/weapons you are planning? ;)

Yep, I sure have. I'm wanting to add those parts as well, but not quite sure what I'll do yet. I'd like to do an H3 BR as it matches what's on my characters back in the photo below.

Halo3_Spartan-pistol-01.jpg

Yes we do, totally!

Here's one of my favorite pics from the con that I've seen so far.
IMG_0493.JPG

Also, here's a couple of pics of the quick neck seal that I made the night before the con. I used a ribbed lightweight fabric, then using a template I cut all the parts out, and glued them together with hot glue and strips I cut out of a dollar store cushioned iPad sleeve. I then added a zipper to the back of the neck seal that I took from an old mesh luggage bag.
IMG_0461.JPG IMG_0463.JPG
It worked great for a quick throw together, but I'd like to make it again out of something a little more sturdy. Either way, it was sooo much better than wearing a full balaclava all day. :D

I made it in Derby City ComicCon's 2015 video, along with my buddy and fellow Stony Props member Collin Royster and his awesome power wheels rides and Star Wars Speedster! If you're not familiar with his work, check out his website here! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Vshore,

It is great to see you out and about with it. I know how it is to spend years making sure it comes out right. Enjoy the rewards for staying with it and getting it right! Easily one of the best H3 suits ever. Too bad Elite got taken from us. I still want to get you and your suit together with my Splaser for some shots. Congrats!

Redshirt

That was an awesome video! You were ready for your close up i see lol.

And if you guys meet, i want to be there... lol I know its a long shot, but that would be fun lol.

Vshore,

It is great to see you out and about with it. I know how it is to spend years making sure it comes out right. Enjoy the rewards for staying with it and getting it right! Easily one of the best H3 suits ever. Too bad Elite got taken from us. I still want to get you and your suit together with my Splaser for some shots. Congrats!

Redshirt

That was an awesome video! You were ready for your close up i see lol.

And if you guys meet, i want to be there... lol I know its a long shot, but that would be fun lol.

Thanks for the awesome comments guys! You both have always been very supportive of my builds, and that means a lot. Red, I'd love to get some shots of my armor and your Splaser together one day. It would be super cool to say the least. And M, it would be fun indeed! :D

So this happened on Monday.....

The smallest of my minions accidentally knocked over Manny, my full body mannequin. Well, Manny just so happened to be wearing ALL of my H3 CQB armor when it took a full on face plant to the concrete floor in the shop. As you can see from the photos, the original pep/rondoed CQB helmet took a pretty good whack to the forehead. The fall sent ripping shockwaves up the top of the head and down the cheek area. Not sure if I should try to repair it or just cast one for myself and redo it. It also busted the knife holder apart, broke the knife in half, and busted the magnets loose holding the chest and back together. I have yet to do a full inspection for further damage.

IMG_0534.JPG IMG_0537.JPG IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG IMG_0532.JPG IMG_0533.JPG

I was also thinking this might be a good time to do another variant, perhaps Recon?! I did find these pics of a Recon figure, and it even has my color scheme already!
halo-3-series-6-spartan-soldier-recon-action-figure-5.jpg halo-3-series-6-spartan-soldier-recon-action-figure-10.jpg

Either way, I'll be doing something to repair or make a CQB cast for myself, and repair the chest and knife so the CQB can live on.

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

halo-3-series-6-spartan-soldier-recon-action-figure-5.jpg

halo-3-series-6-spartan-soldier-recon-action-figure-10.jpg

From the pictures it looks like it shouldn't be too hard to repair the damage, but it does make a pretty good excuse for making a new variant.... Call me weak-minded, but I'd expand the arsenal haha!

Sorry to see that happen. I remember when the shelf above my bench collapsed and sent my Splaser receiver to the floor and split a lot of welds. I was lucky because it exposed where my work was substandard before painting. This happening to exquisitely finished work definitely sucks.

If you repair the helmet I'd put a layer of thin fiberglass mat inside. You might be better starting with a cast. Still add the fiberglass though! You'll get strength and flexibility from that layer without adding too much weight if you use the thinnest mat you can find and go easy on the resin.

I thumbed back to page 10 to see how you constructed the chest. It looks like you didn't put any fiberglass inside the resined and rondoed Pepakura. If that is correct, I would retrofit sections of fiberglass inside your larger pieces while glassing the helmet. I'd glass behind the attachment points and run strips a couple of inches wide down each side and a couple of strips across the upper and lower chest to add resiliency. As you can tell, I'm a big fan of fiberglass.

Yes, go Recon! But fiberglass the whole thing so you can put your head through a wall if needed.

Redshirt

OMG im sorry to see the damage buddy. If anything you can make a story for the helmet telling people you fought off some covy scum and that's what happened to your helmet and chest armor. lol
Part of me wants to say cast one up and start again, but the other part wants to say do the recon. Of course now that i'm thinking about it, i think recon for sure. Especially if you use the story for your other helmet. This way its kinda like you get an upgrade due to your battle prowess in fighting off the bad guys lol. So yeah go recon :)
You can also display your helmet for people to see, maybe give it some more damage and what not. If you end up doing the story for it anyways lol.
Redshirt, if i ever have questions involving fiberglass im asking you lol. sounds like you got it down pretty well :)

From the pictures it looks like it shouldn't be too hard to repair the damage, but it does make a pretty good excuse for making a new variant.... Call me weak-minded, but I'd expand the arsenal haha!
I'll probably just make a cast instead of spending the time to repair that one. The Recon is a go though.
Sorry to see that happen. I remember when the shelf above my bench collapsed and sent my Splaser receiver to the floor and split a lot of welds. I was lucky because it exposed where my work was substandard before painting. This happening to exquisitely finished work definitely sucks.

If you repair the helmet I'd put a layer of thin fiberglass mat inside. You might be better starting with a cast. Still add the fiberglass though! You'll get strength and flexibility from that layer without adding too much weight if you use the thinnest mat you can find and go easy on the resin.

I thumbed back to page 10 to see how you constructed the chest. It looks like you didn't put any fiberglass inside the resined and rondoed Pepakura. If that is correct, I would retrofit sections of fiberglass inside your larger pieces while glassing the helmet. I'd glass behind the attachment points and run strips a couple of inches wide down each side and a couple of strips across the upper and lower chest to add resiliency. As you can tell, I'm a big fan of fiberglass.

Yes, go Recon! But fiberglass the whole thing so you can put your head through a wall if needed.

Redshirt

Thanks Red! Always there to lend a helping hand. You're correct. I only rondoed the chest attachment. I'll keep that in mind once I start the Recon helmet. I'd like to find someone who has a cast of the H3 version, but as far as I know now, only the Reach version is available.

OMG im sorry to see the damage buddy. If anything you can make a story for the helmet telling people you fought off some covy scum and that's what happened to your helmet and chest armor. lol
Part of me wants to say cast one up and start again, but the other part wants to say do the recon. Of course now that i'm thinking about it, i think recon for sure. Especially if you use the story for your other helmet. This way its kinda like you get an upgrade due to your battle prowess in fighting off the bad guys lol. So yeah go recon :)
You can also display your helmet for people to see, maybe give it some more damage and what not. If you end up doing the story for it anyways lol.
Redshirt, if i ever have questions involving fiberglass im asking you lol. sounds like you got it down pretty well :)

Yep, That would make for a great back story for sure, lol! I want to have several different variants of the Mk. VI eventually. This just gives me a reason to make one now. I did start unfolding the Recon chest attachment for foam, so once that's done and I get back from vacation, I'd like to start the building process on it. :D

Vshore... dude... your work is spellbinding. I'm very new to pep and have been scowering the forums for ideas, tips, tutorials and I've gone through this entire thread twice. Often times i will come back just to look at your final suit for ideas and motivation. Every time i go through this thread i can't wait to really start working on mine. I'm only still in the pepping phase, but i will be visiting this thread over and over for inspiration. Keep up the amazing work.

Also, very sorry to hear about the damage to your suit, but i hope you make another. I would very much like to see your expertise at work again. I hope my armor comes out 1/2 as nice as yours.

It's great to see how the armor worked in the video, and sorry to hear that it cracked, and great to hear that you can fix it. It's nice to see how well other armor builds are doing as mine has been on hold lately. Hope the Recon build goes well.

Yep, That would make for a great back story for sure, lol! I want to have several different variants of the Mk. VI eventually. This just gives me a reason to make one now. I did start unfolding the Recon chest attachment for foam, so once that's done and I get back from vacation, I'd like to start the building process on it. :D

Well now we have something to go with. lol I look forward to seeing progress :)

Well, Dragon Con was a blast! I was able to pull together a CQB cast just in time for the convention!
IMG_0814.JPG IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0817.JPG

Photos are still popping up here and there, but here are a few from that Saturday's parade and 405th photo shoot. I FINALLY got to meet some of my online friends in person! It was a great experience and I definitely look forward to doing it again next year!
IMG_0860.JPG IMG_0863.JPG IMG_0828.JPG IMG_0827.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG IMG_0825.JPG IMG_0824.JPG IMG_0829.JPG

Our photographer, Brian Lansangan of BriLan Imagery did an amazing job with the photo shoot, and here are a couple he took of my armor. I ended up not wearing the latex torso wrap on Saturday as it was just too hot. That thing holds heat in like crazy. I do wish I would've had it on for the photos though.
IMG_0837.JPG IMG_0838.JPG

I'm currently working on a foam chest/back as my pep/fiberglass version was super heavy and took a huge tole on my shoulders. I was able to pad it pretty good for the parade, etc. to make it through, but need something lighter for sure. Here's the start of the chest. More to come on this! :D
IMG_0881.JPG

Re: vshore100's CQB build - Partial Suit up!!!

Looks so good. Those photos came out super. How tall are you BTW?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back